Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Drugs

12 years ago

After reading The Hairy Potter by FateGas I was wondering what everyones veiws are on illegal and legal substances are and also how educated the populace of this site are about such things. Do you just go along with what the schools and media teach you and say No!? or have you done research on it yourself and then said No!? or the opposite? I have done research on these things and I myself have decided that a few drugs have more pros than cons. Before I learned I was just going along with the schools and media and said no. Then I did some research and now I don't stay above the influence.

Drugs

12 years ago

Because I now know that there not all that bad and the ones I do have medical properties that greatly out number the consiquences.

Drugs

12 years ago

Is this just a polite way of telling everyone you're a stoner haha.

Back to the subject, I pretty much have learned to disregard most of the things above-the-influence commericials and police officers tell me about illegal drugs. There was a point in my life last year where I would be classified as a "stoner" but that's pretty much passed since I am going to have to get drug tested in the future.

While some drugs (like heroin and methamphetamines) should be illegal, other drugs like cannabis should be legalized for recreational use. Here's a fun little link that pissed off my teachers while I was doing research for a project.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/facts/drug-facts/marijuana-facts

Drugs

12 years ago

Here is a link for facts about many drugs.

http://www.erowid.org/

Drugs

12 years ago
Well, I thought about testing it on myself, but then i realized if they really are mind-altering like I've been told then doing so would make the test worthless :P So I watched others starting since I was 12. Potheads, mostly. From what I found out the very heavy smokers were pretty much all complete dumbasses, while the lighter smokers were relatively alright.

I don't smoke it myself, but I support the legalization of marijuana. This mostly because it's not habit forming and it doesn't really have any hurtful properties besides making someone stupid if they smoke it too much. But if you choose to become a dumbass after knowing the risks, it's a free country. However, the hurtful, addictive drugs like cocaine or heroine should be illegal. This is both because they are very hurtful and they are extremely addictive, so even if you want to look at it from the freedom argument, addicts would be stripped of their freedom to choose as soon as they get hooked.

Drugs

12 years ago

Anyone who smokes cigarettes is an idiot...there's really just no nice way to put it. At some point they were peer-pressured into trying it, or thought it was actually good. There's no benefits whatsoever to it, and it should be made illegal.

Weed is the only illegal drug I have experience with (laws in Canada aren't that strict). Personally I decided against trying it, since I don't really like things that affect my mind. And although most of the people I knew who smoked were pretty stupid (in fact every roomate I've had has smoked weed), I don't have anything against it. It doesn't seem to be habit forming and it's doesn't have many negatives. So I wouldn't be opposed to it being legalized (though I wouldn't really care either way).

I don't know enough about more "hardcore" drugs to comment on them.

Drugs

12 years ago
I am okay with small amounts of weed. The rest I have a problem with. I don't plan to ever experiment, because I've seen firsthand what drugs can do to people.

Drugs

12 years ago

I think cigarettes are cool. Why? Well, they cause lung cancer, they're really bad for you, and http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3073408/1/ Notice the smoking? Anything associated with something that awesome is automatically awesome. Please note that the link contains slash and extreme (maybe. I don't do it, so I don't know. Probably, though.) BDSM. Don't like? Don't read.

Drugs

12 years ago

I smoked weed in high school and college. I don't anymore because I realize I don't do anything on drugs that I can't do when I'm not. Why spend money for nothing? Same goes for alcohol. I never smoked cigs because I didn't like the flavor and didn't need to do something habitual like I've heard people who smoke do. A few years ago I asked a coworker who smoked cigarettes and cigars to let me try one of his cigs and cigars just for the novel experience. Would not try again- just weakens your lungs, so no point for me.

Drugs

12 years ago
Aside from alcohol, caffeine and sugar, I haven't taken any drug in well over a year. I think literally every substance should be legal and unregulated.

Drugs

12 years ago
Oh, by unregulated, I don't mean untaxed btw.

Drugs

12 years ago

I agree, roofies take way to much effort to obtain these days.

Drugs

12 years ago
If someone wants to take roofalin, they should be allowed to. If someone wants to give roofalin to someone else, they shouldn't be allowed to.

Drugs

12 years ago
Unless that person wants it, that is.

Drugs

12 years ago
I am proud to say I have never smoked, drink, or tried any illegal substances.

Drugs

12 years ago
I despise such drugs, my personal preference, but I guess people could call me a hypocrite, as i do get drunk on occasion, but only at meet ups with film friends, when we have free time, somebody usually brings over a bottle of jack, or some type of vodka, like grey goose. I don't do it often, but New Years was pretty fun! :D

But, anyway... I am not for drugs, but I mean i know many pot heads, most of the people from my high school were bigger pot heads then I am as a film maker, bigger into i can say as well.

It's peoples choice, but weed isn't as bad so i hear. But i dont know, I never tried it, and most likely never will.

Drugs

12 years ago

And I am proud to stand with you.

Drugs

12 years ago

And I'm proud to say I no longer hold such a stance. haha

To date, I've probably tried just about every type of drug at least once.  That includes natural and synthetic cannibinoids, depressants, stimulants/euphoric empathogens, psychedelic ethneogens, opiates, and so on, having started a little over a year ago with alcohol.

That said, I don't simply take something if offered or any sort of thing like that - I always put in a good amount of research beforehand.  You know, what does it do, adverse effects, positive reports, negative reports, and stuff like that.  I also only do them with people I'm particularly close with, only when obtain from a trusted source, and only when I'm free from responsibility - not gonna smoke pot if I've got to write an essay, for example.  Except for one time, but that ended up working out pretty well. haha

Simply put, it doesn't affect my life negatively.  On the contrary, I wouldn't hesitate to say my life is now significantly better in regard to my personal relationships, I'm much more aware of my own world view and don't let my biases influence my judgments like I used to, I generally feel like a better person in my experience, and my interactions with new people are much more involved.  And I mean that like all the time now, haha, not necessarily while on a substance.  Furthermore, I haven't lost my mind in any way.  I've retained my integrity and my identity throughout my experiences.

All in all, it's very easy to "just say no!" and think "drugs are bad for you," because... why wouldn't you? haha  There are no "drop acid, experience greater reality, find meaning in the mundane" commercials.  Only thing is, until you've actually experienced it, plain and simple, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Not saying the facts one states are wrong, but that you simply don't have an accurate concept of any substance you haven't experienced.

I'll say that nearly all drugs, including crack, meth, and all those "really bad" ones... well, aren't "bad."  It's people who given them a bad name.  Junkies, deadbeats, fiends, and so on.  They're the ones people think of when they think of drugs.  They don't think of "users" of such drugs as bright young college students, or as that friendly person who remembers your birthday without a facebook reminder, haha, or as the guy who just gets along with everybody and isn't a dick. haha  You're more likely to find someone like that than someone hitting you up for money or harassing you

I think every such substance should be legal (which I also believed years before).  And of course I'm with JJJ here, just because you legalize it doesn't mean you can suddenly go dosing people without their knowledge or against their will, so... it's a nonissue, really.  Just know what you're putting into your body and don't live your life around it, just like with anything else 

Drugs

12 years ago

Spoken like a true genius. (No sarcasm)

Drugs

12 years ago
Three things
1.) great statement
2.) I don't agree with it, but I respect your opinion and how you stated it
3.) Did I detect a Fallout reference?

Drugs

12 years ago

Thanks, haha 

Never played actually :o

Drugs

12 years ago

Oh and I forgot to mention a thing about substance abuse.  It can and will happen if you're not careful.  There are people out there who do some pretty shitty things on drugs and for drugs.  But then from my experience, drugs don't change people, they reveal them, so to speak.  You know how some people say you show your true colors when you're drunk?  Same goes for just about everything (excluding when severely overdone - after a point, some can make you cynical and fiendy [meth] and others can make you loving and humble [mda], depending on the way it acts on your brain chem)

Drugs

12 years ago
I completely agree, to add to one point you made:

"drugs don't change people, they reveal them, so to speak."

Drugs don't reveal people over an open interval. That is to say that if you encounter person X at time Y on substance Z, then you'll see a revelation of Person X at time Y. You won't see a revelation of Person X at time Y+/-10 years (or maybe, 10 hours).

For instance, your friend John Smith takes Phencyclidine on a Sunday afternoon, and he encounters a bunch of friends and they have some really great talks and a lot of friends.

John Smith then takes Phencyclidine ten days later. However, in between the two ingestions, half of his family was murdered by a serial killer. This time, John sees the same people but he ends up menacing them, and eventually threatening to kill them.

The PCP brought out the darkness in John in the second circumstance but that doesn't mean John was dark a week earlier or will be a week later. Drugs bring out the state that the person is in at the time that they take the drug. That's why it's important to take precautions before you ever think about ingesting anything. If your head is in the wrong space, you should probably avoid it.

Drugs

12 years ago
Hahahaha I have uncles who are testaments to that.

One was a drug dealer and the other was an addict.

The addict ended up losing his arm to infection due to a cut he got digging for scrap metal to buy drugs. He has also lost most of his intelligence.

The dealer tried to lock my mom up when she found out what he was doing (Obviously he used to). And it took my only clean uncle to save her.

Yeah drugs can jack people up. (This was all 20 years ago. Since then the dealer uncle has cleaned up his act and has 3 kids a wife and loves to exercise. The addict is addicted to cigs and his brain is mostly mush now.)

Drugs

12 years ago

Wow Zero I couldn't say it better than you even if I tried. People like you inspire me :)

Drugs

12 years ago
I am with bo on his two points.

Well lets just say I haven't had the best experience with drugs, like the ones prescribed to you by the doctor, I had a extremely rare and allergic reaction to prozac(I think that was what it was called). It cause all the muscles in my body to tense up to the point where I couldn't stand up or walk without pain. I was puking my guts up and ended up having an ambulance called.

Then they gave me medicine to counter act the original stuff and they ended up OD me on that. There is literately a three day period of my life that is blank. I can't remember anything if I tried.

I remember the very start of the adverse side effects. I hallucinated that my mom was home from work and I hugged her and had a conversation with her. Luckily, my cousin Josh was living with us at the time and he was able to tell me that no one was there.

My mom said she had to child proof the doors because I tried to get out of the car while it was moving a couple of times. She also told me I would go from talking about historical events to about the life of the birds. She said that sometimes I didn't even recognized her.

So If that is what legal prescribed drugs do to me. I am not very interested in trying illegal ones.

Drugs

12 years ago
Well, actually, Prozac is a hell of a lot worse for you than 99% of illegal drugs. That stuff is fucked right up.

Drugs

12 years ago
Yeah all I know is that I cant take it or the entire family. When I went to my family practitioner. the first thing he said was, "Well that is an interesting reaction." apparently I am one of the rare 3-5% of the population capable of having that reaction.

Drugs

12 years ago

Totally, 100% agree with JJJ about the mindset.  Especially when it comes to empathogens and psychedelics, being in any negative state of mind absolutely will result in a horrific experience and will leave you pretty scarred (bitter, cynical, etc) for some time thereafter.

Atomic, 'ppreciate it.  Happy you think so :)  

Cool, I'm really not too familiar with Prozac other than it's an SSRI.  Essentially, all that does is trick your brain into releasing more serotonin, thus making you feel happier (content).  Some of the more common adverse reactions might include anxiety, headaches, dizziness, and trouble sleeping, but even the less common ones don't include hallucinations.  Unless it was a result of mad sleep deprivation (or some fucked up stuff goin on with Prozac I'm not aware of haha), there should be no reason for such a reaction... at least, that's the case for SSRI's in general.  Pharm Co's usually add some asshole agents to deter from abuse (like the amount of paracetemol[500mg] in Vicodin), but I dunno.  Haha, also, 3-5 out of 100 people isn't really that rare if you think about it.  I can see 3-5% having maybe some heavier adverse symptoms, but what you describe can't be that common.

Wanting to step out of a moving car would be normal in a comedown state and talking about stuff randomly would be normal in a high state... haha, so my question is, were you a user.... or an abuser? ;)

Drugs

12 years ago
No Prozac didn't cause the hallucinations. Whatever medicine they gave me to conter-act it because I was having an allergic reaction did. Also I am told the only reason I had that reaction was because they were oding me on the stuff.

Drugs

12 years ago

That reaction does not happen to 3-5%. I have never seen anything like that occur in the thousands of people I've treated. I would guess that you were also ingesting some other medication which had a synergistic effect and led to a serotonergic crysis. It is possible you had NMS but that would be so rare with a starting dosage of Prozac that it would be less than 1%. I can see why you then be frightened to try any other psychiatric med.

Drugs

12 years ago
It was compazine not Prozac that caused all my muscles to contrast. (Sorry I got it wrong the first time Prozac is what I take for my depression.) Then whatever they put me on to cure the muscle contractions after the compazine made me hallucinate because they od me on it.

Drugs

12 years ago

I have to agree with that, I took Prozac for about a month or two in seventh grade and it threw me into a depression that had me hospitalized for three days.

Drugs

12 years ago

Ack!

Drugs

12 years ago
* I checked with my mom and it was Compazine that I had an allergic reaction to. (Prozac is the stuff I am on right now that helps with depression.)

Drugs

12 years ago

i like crack

Drugs

12 years ago
Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Drugs

12 years ago

Hm, I know people usually carry a bit of compazine or thorazine around to take them out of hallucinogenic experiences that might be going bad (I think it's an antipsychotic or something).  Other than that, I don't really know anything about it. haha  Sounds like you had a  pretty horrible experience though - I say sue the bastards! :p

Hahah, Mr. Mackey is the best.

Drugs

12 years ago
I know, lol

Drugs

12 years ago

im going to  make a palace out of cocain lolz

Drugs

12 years ago

I feel a strong urge to comment on this thread, as there is a ton of misinformation and misunderstandings, particularly regarding psychiatric medications like Prozac, but I am too tired. Suffice it to say that:

1) Everything is a risk/benefit ratio; this fact applies to over the counter meds, herbal "supplements" and typical pharmaceuticals. Every known substance has adverse effects and one takes it/them because benefit/gain outweights the risk/adverse effects.

2)Marijuana has now been researched more than in the past. Without referencing alcohol or other drugs, new research shows that when marijuana is ingested, most users lose, on average, about 20 IQ points. This loss is temporary. There are no long term longitudinal studies. The new research is based on the new marijuana, which has significantly higher cannibanoid/THC content than weed from, say, the 60s, 70s, 80s, or even 90s. (Again, these facts cannot be contradicted by "Well alcohol is poison.")

Drugs

12 years ago

so your saying you smoke this stuff

Drugs

12 years ago

No... he doesn't say that once.

Drugs

12 years ago
Once I was prescribed Paxil, It made me have hallucination.

Any medication I have ever taken has severe side-effects on me.

Drugs

12 years ago

I hate Paxil; I rarely prescribe it unless a patient really wants it. Some people are very sensitive to medications. Again, there is always a risk/benefit and your case is an excellent example of the side effects outweighing any benefit. I am not sure what type of "hallucination(s)" you had. Have you tried any other SSRIs besides Paxil?

Drugs

12 years ago

Okay I have been reading inbetween the lines here and I have come to the conclusion that madglee is a doctor/nurse.

Drugs

12 years ago

YOu know what would really suck if they leagalized pot in america because they would tax the crap out of it and it would be to ewxpensive.

Drugs

12 years ago
Thank the lord. Masterelf finally made an attempt at good grammar. Congrats!

Drugs

12 years ago

This is true. haha  But it'd be worth it for smokers and non-smokers alike.  Non-smokers get the benefit of an additional source of revenue for their state, and smokers get to chill out and watch Spongebob in peace... which is all they really want :p

Drugs

12 years ago
The writers, animators, and directors of the show, spongebob, are all smoking weed. So why shouldn't their viewers?

(This is a joke)

Drugs

12 years ago

*sigh*, Oh spongebob of old, why did thou leave me? Oh right, your writer got fired.

Worst decision they ever made... ever.

Drugs

12 years ago
That's all I want. Spongebob and Adventure Time without the worry of cops busting down the doors. Sigh if only that was possible :(.