Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

randomness

12 years ago

this is a place for random stuff and random story lovers

randomness

12 years ago

How do you say Randomness in Canadian?

randomness

12 years ago

By attaching the suffix -ay after the word.

Randomnessay

randomness

12 years ago
I don't like Canadia. All they talk about is either a boot or a boat.

randomness

12 years ago

Yeah? haha  What else don't you like about Canada and its people?

randomness

12 years ago
I had a Canadian teacher who literately did say eh after every sentence (It was a crack up)

randomness

12 years ago
I don't like how you can't even spell the name of the country. Seriously, are you a moron or just ignorant? Canada happens to be your closest ally and the country whose border-share is the largest with the US. Not only that, you LITERALLY DEPEND ON US FOR WATER (among other resources).

Canadia? Really?

randomness

12 years ago
I suppose with a profile picture like yours, one can't expect much in the way of intellect.

randomness

12 years ago
Which if you denied us we could come and kick your ass any way. But that is besides the point right.

(It is my firm belief that Canada and Mexico exist on the USA's good graces. One literately because we could have taken it over during the USA-Mexican war. We were able to get all the way to Mexico City and if we wanted that country we could have had it. But instead we decide to take all the good pieces of there land for ourselves and leave the rest to them.)

randomness

12 years ago
Wait, so are you asserting that essentially, you're a bunch of evil tyrants? Refreshing!

randomness

12 years ago
Nope I am asserting that if we were a bunch of evil tyrants Canada and Mexico would not exist.

randomness

12 years ago

Other countries exist outside North America.

randomness

12 years ago
Wait, so demanding water and stating that if we don't give it to you, you'll "kick our ass" isn't being a tyrant? You are so merciful and fair! Please, continue to bless us with your presence.

randomness

12 years ago

Not to mention thed whole "take the good parts and leave the rest".

randomness

12 years ago
That is actually American history. Look up the Mexico-US war. It is how we acquired New Mexico Nevada and California.

randomness

12 years ago

I'm not saying you're incorrect. I bet it is part of American history. It's just funny how you phrased it:

"Took all the good pieces and left the rest for them"

And then when 3J said you were saying Americans were tyrants, you said no.

randomness

12 years ago
Yeah well we didn't take them over did we?

randomness

12 years ago

You did not, I'll give you that.

randomness

12 years ago

I belive the American people are not tyrants but mostly brainwashed. It's the goverment that are the tyrant's.

randomness

12 years ago

I agree with you on that!

randomness

12 years ago

If we were brainwashed we would vote for the same people every year... I'm pretty sure we don't do that.

randomness

12 years ago

I did say "most" and it's not that we are brainwashed on our president choice's is that we have propoganda media that control us.

randomness

12 years ago

I'll agree with that, but not to the extent of brainwashing. Sure the media heavily influences our daily lives but it is nowhere near brainwashing. We might be looked down upon or cast out of social groups but we do still have free will.

randomness

12 years ago

The last sentence is supposed to say:

"We might be looked down upon or cast out of social groups for our opinions but we do still have free will."

randomness

12 years ago

That's what it says, playa.

randomness

12 years ago

I forgot the "for our opinions" part in the original statement. I added it back in to avoid any possible confusion.

randomness

12 years ago

Oh, okay. I missed that. :P

randomness

12 years ago
haha, right. "Hey Congress, I heard those Canadians were bad-mouthing us behind our backs, so I thought we should just invade our closest ally. I'm pretty sure none of the resources we rely on from them would be damaged, so we'd probably end up ok." "Sure thing President Cool, UN or NATO wouldn't possibly interfere with the all-might United States, I'm sure they know our military could fight most of the rest of the world's" :P

randomness

12 years ago
Hahahahaha. I am just saying if we really wanted to we could.

randomness

12 years ago

No Cool... just no.

randomness

12 years ago
And he's just saying that no.... no you couldn't.

randomness

12 years ago

Haha, Cool, if you ever underwent a change in political philosophy, you'd make a brilliant replacement for Stephen Colbert as a satirist of modern American conservatism.  Until then, I'll just go on living life believing that you're just a very dedicated troll. haha

randomness

12 years ago

what the hell canada is cool they have the cool bacon and syrup we'll drown to there might

randomness

12 years ago

Naval Oranges.

randomness

12 years ago

On a side Canada note to go with this argument, I think Canada is a great country. Their prices are higher than US's but that's because their dollar is worth more than US's. And they have a great medical plan for everyone (as in, no one has to pay, which can be wonderful). I have a friend who wishes she lived in Canada and I got a lecture on why. :)

randomness

12 years ago

Man if  lived in Canada I would be happy as a goat on a huge plain of grass. But I am just going to have to deal with an overcrounded farm were the only grass is under a bunch of cow shit. :(

randomness

12 years ago

I think the only big down point is that the taxes are greater, but then again, the dollar is worth more.

randomness

12 years ago

I'm gonna disagree with the amazing health care, my main example: France :P. The problem with a universal healthcare system, although ideologically it's the greatest system on earth, realistically it's horrible. The main problem in France with their universal healthcare system is that which should make it great: Everyone Gets Free Healthcare... think about it.

The fact that everybody gets free healthcare means that everybody will go to the doctor regardless of the symptoms. That means it doesn't matter if you have an infected knife wound or scraped knee, you're heading to the doctor for treatment. As a result (remember this is for France) the average waiting period to get into the hospital is three months. It doesn't matter if you're dying of cancer, you better have made an appointment early.

Another problem with it is the sheer amount of money spent on the healthcare. As you can imagine, paying for the treatments of every single person who walks into a doctor's office is incredibly expensive, which leads to the bare-bones quality in order to save money. So, let's take a look at the average quality of the treatment in France. My French teacher (who's a native Parisan, and visits her family in France every summer) got extremely sick over there and as it turned out she had to go into surgery to fix it. When she got to her room, she had to make her own bed, which isn't that bad. However, what IS bad is that she even had to prep herself for surgery. Washing, disinfecting, everything. Later, after the surgery, she was kicked out the same day. On top of that, when she could barely she was kicked out of the hospital on the day of the surgery, she was kicked out of the hospital in order to make room for the next person on the extremely backed up list. She didn't have any help from the hospital in that respect, either (thank God her husband was there to take the luggage down.) The unfortunate truth is that without the need to make their service good enough for clients to choose their hospital, they knew they could treat people like shit and they would still come because all the hospitals acted the same way under the universal healthcare system.

Now, I'm sure France has more people than Canada (although I'm not sure on how many people exactly), so I don't know how bad Canada's situation is compared to France. However, what I do know is that America has more people living here than France (correct me if I'm wrong), so our system would have even worse conditions than those in France. More people needing treatment, which means both longer waiting periods and more money spent on treatment, which means more spending cuts across the board, which means worse quality treatment.

However, I would actually prefer to live in Canada :) It has a much greater atmosphere and the educational quality is much better. That's where I would like to raise my kids, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

randomness

12 years ago

Just to get briefly involved here... *okay, sorry, no so briefly.*

It would be pretty silly to believe that 1) people would choose to take time our of their lives to go sit in a waiting room for a doctor who's just going to tell them "Oh, that's it?  You can pick up some OTC ibuprofen at a drug store." Boom, next person.  It just won't happen; people have better things to do.  Besides, there's a massive difference between a clinic and an ER... and 2) given that hospitals already prioritize, treating the more grave situations with more urgency even if others have been waiting for hours, why would providing health care make them any less organized?  No hospital is going to say "well, we know you're dying due to your open stab wound, but there were just sooo many people here before you and it just wouldn't be fair to them, you know?  Not after this free health care thing took off, at least."  And if they do start doing that, well I guess I'm just a dumb asshole. haha

As for the economic issue, if we had to start treating everyone then I'd agree that the cost is too high.  However, it's doesn't account for a couple things.  The first one is that Americans are already paying for other people's extremely expensive health bills.  When a dude goes into a ER, he already gets shit service and when he can't pay his bills, the burden is passed onto taxpayers anyway.  Second, we currently place no emphasis on preventative care.  We make absolutely no effort catch illnesses early when they're treatable, and when we do, there's nothing anyone will do about it (unless you've got the cash).  Instead, we wait until you're litarlly dying, let ERs clog up, and end up spending significantly more than we ever would have if we'd simply taken measures to find and treat the thing.  At the beginning, yes, taxes will be a little higher (this isn't even counting the very rich who don't pay any), but that's a perfectly reasonable exchange for health security, which a lack of is one of the few things that can destroy entire families.  However, costs will down and we'll eventually be paying much less than we are now.

As for the quality, probably won't change.  A doctor charges $1000, he gets $1000.  Doesn't matter if it comes from you, your insurance company, or the gov't.  UHC doesn't turn hospitals into the DMV; they remain their "independent" selves.  In fact, if you get in an accident and you're being taken to a hospital, you hope they take you to the right one.  To give a story 'bout my high school econ teacher, haha, guy got into a motorcycle accident one day.  He was messed up pretty bad, ended up losing an eye, and when he got the bill he found out his insurance wouldn't cover it.  Of course, he demanded to know why, and apparent the ambulance that picked him up took him to the closest hospital... one that happened to not be covered under his particular company's plan. haha  They fixed him up okay, not any better or worse than the other hospital would've, but he ended having to pay the whole thing himself.  I can't say I know what's goin on in France, but I do know that there are many ways to handle health care.  You can regulate insurance companies, make a gov't insurance program, regulate pharmacutical companies, give EBT-like vouchers, set up public hospitals, and so on.  Standards don't automatically disappear.  The US has some of the best health care in the world; it just so happens that no one can afford it and insurance companies exploit that fact.

Furthermore, you can't really compare the US to France in that regard.  Yes, we have more people, but we also have almost a 6x greater GDP.  There's no reason to think more people will need treatment either.  In fact, significantly less people will need treatment.  People will be able to go to clinics and get themselves checked out.  No reason to believe it will result in crowded clinic either, because as the country moves toward an emphasis of preventative care, a percent of the health care spending will go to building more clinics and hospitals.  We don't have that now, because of have the backwards mentality to wait for the ER when the problem can be addressed much more efficiently and cost effectively with preventative care at a clinic.  And if it did cost more (which I agree it will in the beginning due to that economic law I don't remember the name of), it doesn't mean spending cuts.  It's far more likely that it would result in a tax increase, meaning the quality doesn't change.

randomness

12 years ago

I log onto the site, hoping to see some light hearted humor and instead I get this wall of text thrown at me.

Screw you guys, I'm going to sleep :p

randomness

12 years ago

Thrown at you? Why do you think we need you to read it :P

randomness

12 years ago

Because I'm amazing :p

randomness

12 years ago

Haven't you heard, we're all on this site for his amusement. Didn't you get the memo?

randomness

12 years ago

Yeah, even Nevermind got it for Pete's sake. (Now that I think about it, who the Hell is Pete?)

randomness

12 years ago

Pete? That's Spider-man. Or Colossus. Well, technically, Peter's name is Piotr, which is basically the Russian version of Peter, so he's called that by his American friends. Well, American and Canadian, seeing as how Wolverine is Canadian. There are probably more X-Men from other countries that refer to Piotr as Peter, but none come to mind right now.

Incidentally, Piotr is almost exactly the same way an Icelander would pronounce the name Peter, if you ease up on the Russian accent that is. But where's the fun in that? I say exagurrate the Russian accent the best you can, am I right?

Anyway, there aren't that many Peter's that come to mind beyond Spider-man and Colossus, although there are probably billions of them. Isn't there a Peter in the bible? Maybe it's him. Yeah, I think that's the Peter you're looking for. The other one's, they're not the Peter's you're looking for. Move along.

randomness

12 years ago

Hmm, you raise some really good points. I'm not gonna try and argue right now cuz I'm pretty angry over being stood up by a group I was supposed to be helping in Books A Million, but I guess I'm a little less angry since I took the opportunity to study for the next debate. Well... that and the fact that debating you isn't exactly the most welcoming option :P

But anywho, you make sense about the fact that we have a 6x greater GDP, and I did actually confuse the doctors offices with the hospital, although she did get some pretty shitty service at the office too haha. That could just be the specific doctor though. I'm going to spend some time rethinking the whole issue.

randomness

12 years ago
Photobucket

randomness

12 years ago

Lol. What's bad is that it's so true.

randomness

12 years ago
Universal health care is a horrible idea.

Why might some people ask?

Because you would get the same service in the emergency room you would get at the dmv. You come in with your arm chopped off and bleeding to death, and be like "Yeah I could use some help here."

The receptionist would look at you and say "Do you have an appointment?"

Meanwhile your bleeding out on the floor, You and answer,"No"

Then the lady says "Alright I need you to go to window E and fill out form 126, and we'll get back to you in a few hours."

randomness

12 years ago

Wow! Talk about some Ironic shit! The thread on Randomness gets totally derailed. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

randomness

12 years ago

* of course it is a rather random conversation...

randomness

12 years ago

I like pizza.

randomness

12 years ago

Please check one of the following:

[  ]  Like a little

[  ]  Like a lot

[  ]  Really Really Like

[  ]  Like doesn't even begin to describe how much I like pizza

randomness

12 years ago

Really really like.

randomness

12 years ago
CTHULHU for President of the USA.
If you are not able to vote for any reason, a blood sacrifice of the firstborn child under the age of five, or the watching of "A Serbian Film", will suffice.

randomness

12 years ago

I support Cthulu for president. Unfortunately, I'm too young to vote, I have no children, and watching "A Serbian Film" would ruin my bandwidth.

randomness

12 years ago
Your support is appreciated, but without physical sacrifice, you will not be recognized as a follower, and will be eradicated after multiple seconds of torture.

randomness

12 years ago

I've read like every page of Love SICK, and there's this thirteen--now fourteen--chapter epic on FanFiction.net where at least nine chapters are basically descriptions of the Joker getting tortured in new and exciting ways (it's one of the good stories) and I would totally be willing to read every single story for any pairing that got onto Encyclopedia Dramatica and anything that came up when I searched rape and torture--isn't that good enough?

randomness

12 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dECEpLx-LPc&feature=related

Just skip to about 2:30 to get past the car pictures.

randomness

12 years ago

lol i thought it was funny because...

randomness

12 years ago

because... (insert why you thought is was funny.)  <--- you missed that part of the comment.

randomness

12 years ago

i thought it was funny because i dont like cars lol

randomness

12 years ago
Any one ever think about what teddy bears do when your asleep?

randomness

12 years ago
  • Nothing.
  • Or, attempt to take over the universe.

randomness

12 years ago
Nobody else has any thoughts?

randomness

12 years ago

They begin to disect your brain for food and knowledge. That's what all the noises from the night are and why verybody seems to get more stupid as they grow older. xD

randomness

12 years ago

I always thought that they ate dinner, watched TV, then stuck things in my nose while I slept.

randomness

12 years ago

i thought they just sat around and smoke crack and eat all my cheetos

randomness

12 years ago
Photobucket

randomness

12 years ago
very badass

randomness

12 years ago

BRAVO!

randomness

12 years ago

randomness

12 years ago

Is jplague gone yet?

randomness

12 years ago

Which one do you think is more pathetic:

1. Holy Terror Batman (Power Weeping is his superpower) or
  2. Frankenstein's Monster Batman (resurrected by his son and dressed up in a bat costume)?

Cracked told me about them both, and others.

randomness

12 years ago

1 who whines into battle anyway right

now whos better

bob saget(actor)

or joe mama(not your moma)

randomness

12 years ago

A digital game of Risk where you can create custom societies and landmasses that are interactive with the game; i.e. the lands are blank and change color with whatever force controls it?

Anyboy know where such a thing is? I would be your friend for two days! :P

randomness

12 years ago
Yeah its called Neo Continent, which is on a unfortunate break.

Another one was called New World Order (Or something like that)

and it was set in modern times where you could control one nation and dictate laws and all of that. It was ran by ThisisBo who dropped it once school started up.

randomness

12 years ago
I have five budgies,

Flower,
Jade,
Nawzee,
Arian,
Gold.