Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Living Hell

12 years ago

Hey guys, so I'm starting a new storygame called Living Hell, but I've hit a wall. I can't think up how to continue it. So I was wondering if you guys have any ideas based on this snippet of it, if you like it, or if you find any grammar mistakes? Thanks! :

“Run, Joseph, run,” the voice whispers through the blowing air. You swing around a corner, stumbling but continuing on. Thunder cracks and lightning flashes in the sky, making you jump from fright. “That’s it, Joseph. Keep running from your fate.”

A rock lifts from the ground, causing you to trip and fall onto your face in the mud. You somersault as soon as you hit the ground to your feet and kick off the runny ground. You're off again. “Smart move. But you won’t last long. You’re in my territory now, punk,” the voice growls.

You hear a whizzing sound and bend backward as a knife flies past you, barely skimming the tip of your nose. You shoot back up and sprint up a hill, your long curled hair falling in front of your baby blue eyes. You heave yourself onto the top of the slope and long grass tickles your ankles. "You won't get away from me!" the voice screeches.

“I will!” you shout back. “I will if it’s the last thing I do!”

The voice snickers. “If that is the last thing you do, you’ll end up in my clutches anyway.”

Almost there. Almost there, you chant while you run. He can’t go on forever. He’ll run out of energy. That’ll be enough. You can get to the safe house.

You turn around another corner and see a metal house a couple football fields ahead. Your eyes widen slightly, but no grin creeps onto your face yet. Nothing comes after you. That can be good or bad.

Is he too tired? you wonder. Or is he charging up?

Nearly there, just a few more yards. You hear a crackle. You gasp.

No! Not the –

A shock of electric volts shoots through your body and you go stiff and start vibrating. A scream manages to break through your lips. The door of the metal house opens a crack and an eye peers out. As soon as it sees you the door swings open and an older boy comes running out of the house. He takes out a small box with wires and microchips stuck onto it and intertwined into the core. He flicks a switch on the side and a blaring squeal like a microphone placed next to a speaker rings out. The voice screams and the electricity stops running through your body. You knees buckle and you fall to the ground.

The older boy grabs your arms and drags you toward the house. You’re barely conscious but you can fell the ground digging into your back as you’re being dragged. By the time you both are a few feet away from the door, the older boy starts running. You wince at your limp body being swung and bumped on the ground. He slips your body into the house and slams the door shut and locks it.

He whirls around and crouches down to you, lifting your head onto his knee. Your breathing is thin and the numb touch of death is poking you playfully. “Get the stabilizer!” the boy commands to nobody in particular.

A swarm of boys who are in the metal house stares at you and the other boy. One of them brings forth a small vial and the other pours the fluid down your throat. Within a minute, you start coughing and sputtering and you sit up, holding your head.

“You took quite a fall, J!” one of the boys call.

“Yeah, I know, Aaron,” you reply, slowly getting up. When you can stay on your feet, you turn to the older boy to thank him and instead get a sucker punch to the jaw. You fall to the ground and cried out in pain. “What the hell, man?”

“Don’t use the name in vain,” the boy warns.

“I know, sorry. But that seriously hurt, Jacob!” you complain, getting back to your feet.

“I warned you. Go out in broad daylight and stay away from shadows and the Corridors! That’s his territory, J. That’s the land of the Devil!”

Living Hell

12 years ago
Sounds really awesome. But because you asked...
When you said "baby blue eyes" it just kind of threw me off, it didn't seem to fit the mood of foreboding terror. Maybe icy blue? Steely blue? just not BABY blue.
And then, "A swarm of boys who are in the metal house stares at you and the other boy." Stares should be stare.
Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of description of the metal house. I am guessing this is to make it seem mysterious at this point, but describing it only as "The metal house" caused my brain to see it as a tin roofed shanty. I don't know if that's what you were going for.

I hoped this is helpful and you aren't just going to go, "WTF this guys a douchenugget."

Living Hell

12 years ago
Also, maybe just a like INFO PAGE, with character bios and a quick intro would be a good place to start and get the creative juices flowing for future pages.

Living @#!*%

12 years ago

No. No i am not.

Living @#!*%

12 years ago
This story definitely sounds awesome though. It would be great to know more about it if you feel like posting more or even PMing me. Always happy to help.