Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

An Origin of Magic Myth for my Storygame

11 years ago

Feedback is welcome, as are questions about the storygame.

Long ago, in ancient days, days now shrouded by myth and mystery, the people of the Elder Heights lived in prosperity and peace with one another.

The Ancient Peace was broken on the day the Great Evil rose from the earth. Cunning and treacherous was the nature of the Fiend, and It appeared in a form greatly pleasing to the eyes of men. Some say it was the Elder Dragon, the first of it's kind, Some say it was the Fairie Queen, others say it was the Devil, but it doesn't much matter which of these It was, or if It was something else entirely, for every tale ends the same.

It came to the city in the heart of the Hills. To the heads of the households It came with smiles and sweet words. To each of the Houses, It offered a gift.

To the First, It gave the power to heal injuries of the body and of the mind.

To the Second house, It gave the power to manipulate unseen energies with the mind alone.

To the Third house, It gave the power of illusion to deceive the senses.

To the Fourth house It gave the power to read the future, and the thoughts of others.

To the Fifth house It gave the power of the winds.

To the Sixth It gave the power to summon and control flame.

To the Seventh house It gave the keeping of the waters, their creatures and their currents.

To the Eighth house It gave the power of the Earth, and all the things that grow therefrom.

To the Ninth house, It gave the keeping of the creatures of the earth, and the power to speak with them.

Every household accepted their gift with rejoicing and gratitude, Except the Fourth house, to whom was given foresight to pages of history not yet written in the book of time.

The Fourth house grieved at what they saw ahead: war, trouble, famine, division and death. They saw through the smiles and sweet words of the Deceiver, and some of them rose against the Fiend, demanding It take back the cursed gifts. The Fiend laughed, and cursed the rebels "for the fear of Death you oppose me, only through death and destruction shall you see power." Whereupon, the Deceiver fled the Elder Hills for Its work was done. From that day Necromancy and Black Magic have come from the Fourth House. At the beginning, this secret was kept from the other houses, and through intermarriage, was slowly spread to the others.

Eventually, It was the discovery of this terrible secret that led to the division of the houses, and the destruction of the Ancient Peace of the Elder People.

11 years ago

Is this a story your going to write? This is nice, very nice...

Also wouldn't the powers transfer with the children that come with intermarrige between the houses, thus resulting in a future-seeing energy bending child?

11 years ago

The different powers could be combined, but often the result would be that the child would have weaker ablilties in both areas, or no powers at all. Its is very rare that a child would increase/maintain the same level of his/her parents in both areas. This is background for a story I am writing. The actual story is set much much later, when intermarriage has rendered most of the population powerless, and wizards and magic are just myths. The occasional magic adept is labeled a witch, and either killed or banished to the hills. In the hills there are purer-blooded communities where magic is common, but they keep to themselves.

11 years ago

Multiple powers is not too good of an idea

11 years ago
That really explains why the Homo Perfectus series is the best on the site.

11 years ago

I mean combining powers. I know that Homo Perfectus is really good, but when we had to use that stupid power thing and use more than 1 power at a time it was anoying

11 years ago

In what way, and for what reason do you think it's not a good idea? I can't re-evaluate my concept based on "it's not a good idea". I need to know what the real problem is. Is it complexity? characters becoming too powerful? Too unrealistic?

11 years ago

Complexity depends on the writer and almost every CYOA story is full of unrealistic stuff.

You said that the powers become weaker as they are passed down through the children.

11 years ago

the eninimy would have to have the same powers as you unless the enimy didn't have powers

11 years ago

If the Enemy didn't have the same or similar powers, that would be handing an unfair advantage to the good guys, and no one likes that. And yes, the powers are very rare by the time the story takes place, and are distrusted by the majority of the population.

11 years ago
Makes sense, if somebody was reading my thoughts or shooting flames at me I wouldn't be too happy.

11 years ago

Enimies should have different powers. That what made Damege in homo perfectus 2 so awesome

11 years ago
Sounds really interesting (sorry it took me so long to read this), but I have have a question. Will you pick one of the nine houses at the beginning or will you just take the role of a vague protagonist?

11 years ago

The first senario would be an extremely large undertaking, perhaps at some point. Right now, the player will play the part of a single protagonist, centuries after this takes place, so there are no distinct houses any more. This actually doesn't have much to do with the story itself, but it's an explanation of where the different powers come from, and it was fun to write.

11 years ago

I really like this origin story. It's so simple yet so good. It also has lots of potential for lore and history should you wish to allude to it throughout the story too. I'm looking forward to reading what comes out of this.