Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Debate.

11 years ago
Well, I know that I for one love to debate, but most of the things you find around the internet (Besides legit debating websites) are just petty arguments where there's no real winner. So, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a setup where I host a series of debates with either pre-picked topics that you can choose which side you like or randomly chosen topics where I flip a coin to see which side you're on (this is the more likely option simply because I don't 5 people on aff and 1 on neg), even though it takes a bit more skill to argue something you don't believe in.

Also, a big problem that arises on this site in debates (and I'm the main perpetrator of this) is the "wall of text", which is where you just type a shitload of words to the point where nobody wants to read your posts, let alone argue them. So I'll likely put in a word limit on how much you can type. The way I'd enforce this is that 1.) Nobody will post on the thread itself, I'll post for you. You just mail your argument to me and 2.) I will take the mailed argument and copy and paste it to a Word Document to make sure it makes the minimum. 3.) If it's within the minimum, I'll copy and paste it from your PM (since Word can screw up some of your words in C&P), if not I'll send it back to you telling you to fix it.

I'd like at least two pairs (4 people) for this to run. Anyone interested?

Debate.

11 years ago
Also, I'll try to make these topics not strictly stastic-required topics.

Debate.

11 years ago
Sounds like it might be interesting, but I can't argue on behalf of something I don't agree with.

Debate.

11 years ago
I didn't think so at first before I joined the debate team, it turns out that researching another side's case actually brings new things to light that you didn't consider before. I've changed my viewpoint on at least 2 issues because of my debate research.

Also, I think I'll be doing a system where I post a topic, and people can say if they're yay or nay. Then I'll pair the nays with the yays and if there are 2 on the same side left over I'll flip a coin to see who does what.

Debate.

11 years ago

Sounds like fun, count me in.

Debate.

11 years ago

Erm... I don't know. I'm not exactly the best debater on the site but I guess I'm willing to give it a go.

Debate.

11 years ago

^copy paste to this post :D

Debate.

11 years ago
So now we have 3 people interested and 1 maybe. We'll need 4 definates before we begin.

Debate.

11 years ago
I'm also interested, take me in if you want.

Debate.

11 years ago

I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Debate.

11 years ago
Alright, we have 5 yes(es?) now, so we can go ahead and move on. I'll post the first topic tomorrow so we can have time for a new debator to join. If no new debator has joined yet, then I'll just have to put one of you on standby. The people who have A.) been here the longest and B.) have the better reputation here will be the ones who get in the pairings definately (Which I believe means Romulus will be the oldest, not sure though). It's not the fairest method, but that's the way things are done around here and I like the system.

Debate.

11 years ago

I think I've been here the longest although SIndriV and Fireplay have been posting on the forums longer than I have.

Debate.

11 years ago
They are:
Romulus.
Playa.
Fireplay.
Robust.
Estlwen.

Am I right?

Debate.

11 years ago
Absotively!

Debate.

11 years ago

Cool so when will we start?

Debate.

11 years ago

I wouldn't mind debating. I may not be very good at first, but I know I could get better with practice.

Debate.

11 years ago
cool, so we have 6 debators.