Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Life

11 years ago

What should I do with mine?

Life

11 years ago

Rent it out for fun and profit?

Life

11 years ago

... What? Hell no, why would I do that? On second thought, the fun and profit part seems tempting.

Anyway, on a more serious note. I am having trouble deciding what I want to do for my future. Should I quit school and simply find my way through life or carry on despite the amount of hate I have for it?

Life

11 years ago

Depends. What would you go to school for if you went? Also, there are 1 year certificate programs(basically trade school) that stay away from the math and english crap and teach just enough to be able to do a specialized labor job(Like diesel mechanic, airplane mechanic, ect.)

Life

11 years ago

For the love of god stay in school and go to college. I dragged my ass all the way through high school, getting C's and D's in every class (except the  sciences, I got B's without doing any home work or studying.) My family was going to pay me to go all the way through any college I wanted, But I said fuck that noise. Worst mistake of my life. Now Im a 25 year old man making $10 an hour at a shit factory job, with douche bags in ties standing over me watching me work. I am now saving to go to college again. If you do anything, at least get a higher education. A cautionary tale.

Life

11 years ago

Yeah I have a similar story. I did horrible through high school and when my parents wanted to send me to college, I said heck no.

Now I'm working two jobs and paying my own way through a two year tech school -_-. And the best paying job I've ever had was $9 an hour with commision.

Life

11 years ago

Only now do we see what our parents were talking about XD

Life

11 years ago

Yeah, when they stop paying for our shit XD

Life

11 years ago

^America, making a world full of low-class just for the industry! *Notice: If you become rich you will be pulled into politics where your money will disappear. This is not our fault.*

Life

11 years ago

Yeah, the middle class is disappearing. I know I'm barely making it paycheck to paycheck. -_- Hopefully, even if everything else goes to shit they will still need X-ray technicians. 

Life

11 years ago

it is then where will you be. More important where will i be in the future.

Life

11 years ago

Breaking news- *New Z-Ray machine invented, X-Ray rendered obsolete*

Life

11 years ago

Dude, college is worth those four years.  You're gonna need it.

My game plan:

2 people in one apartment (shares costs)

Save 75% of leftovers for next year's tuition

Rest is on food

No entertainment

Life

11 years ago

But if my family pays for all four years...

All of the above except for that 75% plan

One TV, maybe a cell phone or two, and use some other guy's electricity.  No AC

Life

11 years ago

Your going to go crazy without some form of entertainment. 

Also as ive stated in previous threads, I am going to do well in school and hopefully get enough federal aid and scholarships to go to a good college, or if that doesn't happen, join a ROTC program and have them pay for my college, then serve some time in the Army/other (because that's what the ROTC program requires in trade for college). Then I don't know what. Biggest problem with my plan is I don't know what I want to do yet, so I don't know which college courses to take.

Something along the lines of all that.

Life

11 years ago

le gasp! Knock on wood, knock wood!!!! 

Life

11 years ago

Just makes me realise how good we have it in Australia. Everything costs a little more but the higher pay more than balances it out. I mean, I'm getting $15 an hour for delivering pizzas on weekends and some of my friends consider that a low paying job.

The government also pays for our tertiary education with a zero-interest loan that you don't have to start paying back until you're earning over $45,000 a year.

Life

11 years ago

Wow thats amazing, all of it. My brother makes pizzas and gets 7dls a hour (legit make, not unfreeze crust, apply toppings, then bake), and my ma is still paying off her student loans. 

Life

11 years ago

I plan on moving to Australia once i save up enough and am finally out of college. From what I've been told it's more expensive there and that it is nature's experiment pot but it still sounds better than here. Hey i was wondering, do alot of Americans immigrant to there?

Also did i somehow alter this thread to how america is worse off than it is shown to be?

Life

11 years ago

This thread has already been altered. -.-

Life

11 years ago

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics there's less than 100,000 people born in the US living in Australia at the moment, and our population's around 23 milliion people in total (so Americans make up roughly 0.4% of the population). I don't know any American families personally (I know one Canadian bloke who did work converting the shed into a house/living space for my grandparents and there was a Canadian guy at my high school), but they're there. Nowhere near the amount of people born in Britain (upwards of a million) or New Zealand, China, India and Italy (the next greatest immigrant populations).

Australia is a lot more expensive (many companies, including those like iTunes who don't even offer a physical product that needs to be shipped, bump their prices up in Australia) but the minimum wage is a lot higher and there's decent healthcare. We also weathered the GFC pretty well compared to other countries due to China buying heaps of coal and iron from us (though you'll find that the average person will still think Australia's doing terrible because the average person doesn't look to other countries to see just how bad things have gotten and how good we have it in comparison).

The thread had already been altered before you posted haha, no need to worry about that.

Life

11 years ago

They always seem to think the grass is greener on the other side.

Life

11 years ago

By the way, are there any similar/different laws in Aus?

Life

11 years ago

There's probably a tonne but only a few ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

• Driving age depends on the state but in Victoria (the state where I live) you get your probationary license (you can drive alone) at 18, after 120 hours of supervised driving on L plates (which you can get at 16). I think in Western Australia (and probably the Northern Territory too) the driving age is lower.
  • The drinking age is 18, not 21 like it is in the US.
  • There are more gun laws and as a result less people get shot (I only personally know one person who has a gun, and he uses it for going shooting out in the bush on weekends, not for self-defence).
  • We don't have the death penalty.
  • Marijuana is illegal. The decriminalisation of drugs (similar to what Portugal did) was a big agenda over here earlier in the year - unfortunately nothing came of it, but there's a lot of support for the idea.
  • Gay marriage is illegal, though the majority of the country is for it and there are constant protests calling for it to be made legal, so it'll happen soon. The federal government has traditionally been responsible for marriage laws, but Tasmania (the island state in the bottom right corner of Australia) has found a loophole that allows them to legalise equal marriage in their state.
  • There are less religious crazies (eg. Westboro Baptist Church, Rick Santorum) in Australia and as a result laws seem to be a little more secular. Atheist is not a dirty word - our Prime Minister is an atheist.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Edit: I know a couple of those laws above differ from state to state in the US (eg. death penalty, marijuana laws) but I put them in there anyway.

Life

11 years ago

Marijuana is illegal, but should have a harsher penalty. People can get away with smoking marijuana with a $50 fine where I live.

Life

11 years ago

Shouldn't be illegal at all imo, but I'll leave it there so I don't open a can of worms.

Life

11 years ago

Well im talking about Young People, it tottaly messes them up.

Life

11 years ago

You should have mentioned that in your last post, then.

Yes, I agree. It should remain illegal for young people (ie. people below the age of 18, maybe below 16 depending on what studies have shown).

Life

11 years ago

"Get away with smoking marijuana"

And who is the victim in that crime, exactly?

Life

11 years ago

The government.

Life

11 years ago

Haha, I wouldn't even agree with that.

Life

11 years ago

The marijuana, obviously. You're burning a plant alive!

Life

11 years ago

YES!  Now I don't have to put "Throw frozen water bottles at WBC members" in my bucket list anymore!

All laughs aside, that is a pa-ritty green pasture.

Life

11 years ago

*Gasp* Treason!  How could someone willingly become an ex-patriot! ;D  Also 1 Australian dollar = 1.0469 US dollars.

Life

11 years ago

I know right? I mean it's not like our great nation rebelled against it's founder and commited great horrors against the original inhabitants of our land, right guys?

...guys?

Life

11 years ago

lol

Life

11 years ago

Holy crap. I work in an office for a DOT subcontractor. I do their accounts receivables/payables, all their filing, along with the phones, and sometimes I do deliveries when they are short handed. I only get paid $9 an hour... And my other job is just night shift at a convenience store and that's $8 an hour... I need to move to Australia....

Life

11 years ago

Are you kidding me October with the pay? haha. I had a friend who delivered pizzas last year, 5 days a week. Only got around 8 an hour plus tips, but he had to put it towards his car. I went to college for 2 years, I got kicked out as my GPA went from 2.8 in my 3rd semester, to 1.9 in my 4th, due to depression and anxiety of my father nearly dying of cancer. I lost my scholarships i had (I needed to complete 2 years to keep them) and now i owe 25,000 dollars worth of loans. I worked this summer at a concession stand by a beach, and got 9 an hour, earned on average 250 a week, depending on the weather. Next year im finally getting the job with the park recreation on 10 dollars an hour with pension and much benefits needed, since im almost 21. I'm gonna be getting about 330 a week at the park area. Plus i have a part time job with family, my uncle owns a burger store, i work in there 2 days a week for extra pay. but man Australia seems like the place to be..... I'm lucky to earn 8,000 a year right now haha. Though next year i should be earning about 15,000 next year.

Life

11 years ago

Knowing you get paid that much as a low-paying job, I no longer feel bad for Australians having to pay $90 for a video game lol.

Life

11 years ago

Honestly, I think I'm a greedy bastard.  Maybe because of the economy?

70$/hour is not enough for my plans.

Preferrably, I hope to pull out (maybe?) 100$+/hour.  Then I would get on track with my plans.

Life

11 years ago

What kind of plan requires earning 200,000+ a year?

Life

11 years ago

A plan where I can retire at the age of 60.  (If the economy went on like this, I'd eventually need 3,000,000 in order to barely retire.  That's just covering daily expenses.)

Now, if I changed the formula's variables so I could pack in 16 hours of work a day...

Life

11 years ago

What job are you going to have where you get paid this much?

Life

11 years ago

Exactly my problem.

Life

11 years ago

That's the same problem everyone has lol.

Life

11 years ago

Wait, I found a profession.

It is the:

Neuro-ophthalmologist

Anyhow, it's basically an EXTREMELY hard job to get.  It mainly has to do with the eye and brain connection.

About 5 of these guys are trained every year, so to compensate their few numbers, they get extremely high pay.

I believe my father's teacher was a neuro-opthalmologist, and then the teacher became a lawyer "because he just wanted to try it out".

Well, that's one job, are there others?

Life

11 years ago

Joining Pfizer as a researcher for new drugs. That allows for 300,000 a year if you work there for a while.

Life

11 years ago

Now let me just deposit your 200k............and it's gone.     WHAT!