Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Weird stuff concerning variables and links

11 years ago
I'm encountering a couple of tiny bugs (or workaroundable things?) tonight. First, I've known for a while that for defining whether or not you can see a link via the "=" sign sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have a particular link which I only want the player to be able to click on when the variable %CHARACTER is at 4, and yet that link with a "%CHARACTER = 4" restriction seems to be working on its own accord (only one of two links with this setting isn't cooperating).

Second - but less importantly because the links were temporary anyway - I had one page with around eleven links on it, five of which were "DELETE: BE (insert one of the characters' names here)". For some strange reason, as I was play-testing, four of those links had the same name, yet went to their original destinations. Incredibly confusing.

I have nothing good to end this post with, so...what the hey-hey?

11 years ago

On the first one - set the Variable %CHARACTER to Show on All Pages from your Variables Page. Then go through and try your Link a couple of ways and Compare the real Value to what you expect to see. Chances are you will be surprised that they don't match.

If that is the case, then you need to track back to your Variable Change places and make sure you are adding when you want to add, subtracting when you want to subtract, etc.

Remember - if you subtract a negative, it ADDS a positive.

Another possibility is that you are changing the Value on the same page that you have the Link Restriction via the Page Script. Keep in mind the Page Script Variable Modifications take effect when you Exit the page. Where-as other Variable Modifications types (Links/Items) change the value going INTO the page.

Also, Sometimes (but not always) it's best to use < & > rather than = if you can help it. For Example, rather than having it look for when HP reaches 0, don't use HP = 0. Instead, use HP < 1.

Your Second Problem may be a bad Page Save. Every once in a while that can happen. You'll need to rebuild the entire Page on a new Page and Delete the original Page to fix it.

11 years ago
I tried setting the CHARACTER variable to show up on all pages, but it seems like the link shows up regardless of which character I use. I can't use > or < because there are five characters, and 4 is just out of that range. The variable's not changing when I go to that page, either. Can that problem potentially be fixed by rebuilding the page, too?

11 years ago

If it is just the Link that's a problem, try deleting it first. If that doesn't work and you're sure there's no other reason for it acting that way, rebuilding the page won't harm anything. It just takes your time, but it would be worth trying.

11 years ago

Note that if you rebuild any pages, you'll also have to go back and point all previous links back to the new page...

11 years ago
Beautiful! It was tedious, but this step worked. Thank you yet again for your magical mystery help, my love.