Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Birth Right

10 years ago

I am writing a new game based after my game enigma. I have decided to write different branches and paths based off of what creature you choose to be in the beginning of the game. I am already very far along on the Giant path but I have some progress on my dwarf and Orc stories. I am looking for one or maybe two extra creature ideas. Sense I already explored the human with Enigma I do not want to do anything with humans elf or any race that is basically just a human aka hobbits. If anyone has an idea for a race or creature that I could use for it own story segment that would be greatly appreciated.

Birth Right

10 years ago

Mind Flayer/Illithid

Centaur or Pan

Birth Right

10 years ago

Gnome. You can not argue with gnomes. 

Birth Right

10 years ago

Pan? You mean saytrs?

Also don't pick gnomes, nobody likes gnomes.

Birth Right

10 years ago

Yes and Yes.

(Gnomes give me the creeps.)

Birth Right

10 years ago

Dragons!

Birth Right

10 years ago

well i like the centaur and saytar ideas i might be able to make a story out of that. However I can not do dragons as i already wrote their extinction into the story previously so i cant bring them back. Also what is a mind flayer?

Birth Right

10 years ago

it's a... well, it differs.

Some mindflayers are seen as creatures with tentacles for mouths (kinda like davy jones from jack sparrow, except they aren't pirate captains for the most part) which study or are naturally talented at using mental magic, which includes everything from mind-control and telepathy to deceptive illusions and mental torture.

Birth Right

10 years ago
They're basically a race of mini-Cthulhus that eat the brains of other races and enslave them. There's been quite a bit of D&D history written about them, a lot of it fairly interesting.  photo Mind_flayer_zps66d7ed4b.jpg

Birth Right

10 years ago

wells it is definitely unique i will have to do some more research into it but this could be promising

Birth Right

10 years ago

I created a race once, aside from my penguin people, (Which I shan't let you use, no offence. Your storywriting is simply too serious to contain them, though the ones I am suggesting are anomalous gags and are better left as npcs.)  they are a race of men in color-changing gimp suits who jump out of random places and scare the living shit out of people. They are called "Blehs" because that's what they say. Here are some examples of how a Bleh would be used in a story. I'd go into the questionable history of the Blehs... But it's better left unexplained, they're funnier that way... reading this over, I'm sure you'll stick to the mind-flayers...

Direct Encounter Ex:

Adventurer: What a fine day to go adventuring!

Bleh: *Jumping out of a random corner* BLEH!

Adventurer: HOLY SHIT! 

At that point anti-climactic combat would ensue, ending with the Bleh being murdered horribly.

Indirect Encounter Ex:

Office worker (I'm sure you'll have a suitable city): Ah finally, a long day of getting my work done is over.

A DESK DRAWER SPONTANEOUSLY OPENS AND A WILD BLEH JUMPS OUT!

Bleh: BLEHH!

Office Worker: (something along the lines of "HOLY SHIT!")

At this point humorous dialogue would ensue, in which the Office worker is repeatedly harrassed by the Bleh's comeuppance throughout the rest of the week, resulting in a quest for the adventurer to find and remove the Bleh from the office worker's life.

And the worst possible use of a Bleh....

Two protagonists getting down and dirty (in the sexually arousing way, not the combattive way)

AND SUDDENLY A BLEH JUMPS OUT OF [... Sorry kids...]

Bleh: BLEHH!

Protagonists: OMGWTFBBQ!?!?!

You get to decide where to go with that one if you're effed up enough to use that...

Birth Right

10 years ago

What about were wolfs or wererats or spinxh?

Birth Right

10 years ago

I still think the Blehs are much more symbolic of the people who know nothing of their future and think nothing of their past, who go forth into the world and do what they do, to no end other than their own pursuit of happiness, to know their philosophical worth and reach their highest point of well-being, not even caring what anyone thinks of them, so long as their unknown hopes and dreams are found and accomplished, sometimes over and over again, they have found their love, their passion, their path, all in one word. "BLEH!" Those people know true happiness... I think...

Birth Right

10 years ago

i have not yet decided how i want to handle werewolves yet in my World the games take place in. However I already have planned an encounter involving werewolves and wendigos in my dwarf story. I am not really sure how wererats we wwould work out but the giant does encounter kobolds so that is kind of like wererats