Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Hey!

I'm brand new to this site and already, I have a problem. I'm trying to write my first storygame. About The Hobbit. .Yeah, how could that go wrong?

Well, I'm going to go ahead with it no matter what. But, I have NO CLUE how to start the game off. You can play as a boy or a girl (Milo or Cara) and you're Bilbo Baggins' brother or sister (yes, LOTR lore fans, I know Bilbo didn't have a sibling. It's a story

So, I'm in desperate need of some help. Any suggestions?

*Oh, and please don't tell me to 'KILL IT! KILL IT NOW!' :) I'm just trying to write a good game on something I know a lot about and love.*

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

It would make more sense if we were distant relatives on the Took side. Fairy Blood and all.

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Hmm. Good idea.

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

FOOL OF A TOOK!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)blush

In all seriousness, if the story is written well, I would love to read it. One of the important questions you'll need to answer is: "When does this take place?" Is this before Bilbo sets out on his journey? after? after he returns? after Frodo leaves? after Frodo returns? Deciding WHEN your story will take place, when writing in a clearly established timeline and setting, is almost as important as WHAT takes place in it. That being said, you don't have to overdo it and reference Bilbo's journey 582,000 times. In fact, you don't have to mention it at all. But you, as the author, need to know when this story takes place, or you run the risk of contradicting yourself. (And if there's one thing that really gets on my nerves--besides bad grammar--it's when writers contradict themselves. *coughMassEffect3cough*)

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Good, someone else who doesn't like ME3 :) I'm not going that far, no worries. This idea was actually suggested by a friend and hey, I listened. I don't do that very often. I'm usually off in my own little world. 

But anywho, thanks for the advice! I was thinking um...if it's not stupid that...Bilbo's sibling go with him. *embarrassed look*. It seems like a bad idea, doesn't it? 

Well, if it is a bad idea then I have a bit of a backup plan. There are 60 years between the Hobbit and LotR so any number of things could happen. Creating a new adventure is just a way bigger scope I have to shave down to a plot.

So? Which one do you think would be best?

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Keeping things simple increases the odds of actually finishing the game (the writing part I mean)  :)

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Also, why not make your protagonists just another niece or nephew? Bilbo does have about a bazillion relatives.

Maybe they visit him and get into his collection of treasures or read a part of his There and Back Again writings and decide to go off and have their own adventure - that leads to some very real danger in a barrow mound or with giant spiders or whatever... 

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

You could also have a Tom Bombadil Cameo in there somewhere  :)

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Hmm. I don't know. I'd like to stick to things I know A LOT about, like the journey itself, but...I don't know.

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Nevermind. I have trashed the idea, at least for now. Thank you for all your help everyone. But, while I'm here, any ideas for a story game I could do? (I'm a little desperate at the moment)

My First Storygame Ever

10 years ago

Awh, the idea sounded interesting. :)