Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Help!

4 years ago

So... I read all the tutorials and stuff on how to create a good story game but...
Im just asking you guys for anymore tips on it? 
You know, for a beginner and stuff.

Help!

4 years ago

Help!

4 years ago
I would suggest reading a few of the other storygames on the site and giving the authors feedback before diving into your own projects. You can get an idea of the possibilities of the editor and the branching structure and the quality level readers are looking for here as well as seeing for yourself what world and what doesn't here.

As for writing, your first story is always going to suck, and I'm guessing you're like thirteen so you've also got that working against you. Reading really good books and figuring out on the meta level what makes them good and why the author made the choices they did and when is still the best way to improve your own work. Get familiar with standard plot structure and maybe practice writing some regular short stories and posting them in the Creative Corner.

When you do experiment with the storygame editor, you can leave the story in sneak peek (it should be there by default when you create it) and put a link to it in the Writing Workshop to get feedback. I would recommend doing this before actually publishing it and opening it up to public criticism.

I'd also suggest mostly lurking on the forum for now and keeping anything you do post writing related. Kids don't usually survive prolonged contact with the forum to the point where even as I type this I know it will all be ignored and I'm wasting my breath again lol.

Help!

4 years ago

Ah thanks!
And you're pretty good at guessing ages! 
You were pretty close.