Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Marvel Noir? Gotham by Gaslight?

10 years ago

I've heard of a lot of re-imaginings of the Marvel and DC universes. While I wait for 5 Ronin to appear as my Library's inbox so that I might read it, has anyone here read a re-imagining of comic-book superheroes? What would you recommend?

10 years ago

STEELHEART

Just finished it 5 minutes ago :P

10 years ago

*cough*... Did you click the wrong thread, Tan?

10 years ago

No, it's a superhero-esque book :D

10 years ago

Oh, cool, I'll look it up.

10 years ago

Off the top of my head for Marvel and DC

Kingdom Come

There's a Batman trilogy (Red Rain, BloodStorm, Crimson Mist) which I think is collected under one big trade now called "Batman & Dracula"

Superman: Red Son

Old Man Logan

Some of the "What If?" trades by Marvel have some cool stories as well. I'm remembering one where Dr. Doom achieves "God Mode" and just kicks the hell out of everyone in the damn universe.

10 years ago

I've always wanted to read the "What If?" stories. I've heard of the "Fantastic Five" on multiple occasions, but I don't think the same superheroes joined them in any of the explanations I've heard.  I saw an actual physical copy of "What If Venom Posessed Deadpool?" But it was in one of those comic-club things, and getting into one of those is like joining the Freemasons, it's as secret as all fuck, and you need connections to get the guy with the ponytail to unlock the fucking door...

10 years ago

While I liked The dark knight returns. I 100% hated The dark knight strikes again. Frank Miller you can go suck it.

10 years ago

Which one was the crazy "I'm the goddamn Batman" one?

10 years ago

That was Frank Miller too, in fact it's sort of hinted to be a prequel series to the Dark Knight Returns "universe."

I actually found it to be an amusing series since I'm of the idea that Batman is practically psychotic in the first place.

10 years ago

You too? I mean, it takes a certain amount of *puts on sunglasses* batshit craziness to make some multibillionare dress up like a bat and beat the shit out of everyone. That's why I found that premise more believable than the first few where batman is a totally sane-ish righteous badass of righteousness who tries not to kill people..

10 years ago

If you're feeling lazy, there's an animated movie version of Dark Knight Returns. It's pretty good and follows the comic pretty closely.

It originally came in two parts but I think there's a version that includes both movies now.

10 years ago

That was a pretty good film.

10 years ago

Awhh, I loved that film! Preferred Under the Red Hood.

10 years ago

Both are pretty good, liked The Dark Knight Returns better though.

Superman/Batman Public enemies was very good as well.

10 years ago

Batman has the most awesome cartoons. Mask of the Phantasm was great too ^_^

10 years ago

do either of these include a part where he makes a man shoot his own dick off by kicking the gun in his waistband? I'm not sure if it's edited or not, but the picture I've seen of it looks like the same Batman, and all things considered, he probably would have done that.

10 years ago

Lol, I don't remember that part if it was in the movie.

10 years ago

Now that I think about it, the ears in this picture are a little long, but, 

BATMAN! He makes people blow themselves!

10 years ago

... Youch cheeky