Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Greetings!

3 years ago
I'm a new player to this website. I've read the basic guides, and I've started on my first story.  My main idea is that an unnamed character (you) is trapped in a void with no escape, but they don't exactly know that.

They live a normal life, work at a normal job, etc. The only hint that they get about the void is in their dreams, which were always about something endless. They occasionally black out , but never for more than a few seconds.

Meanwhile, the world slowly turns darker, more dystopian, and the character is desperate to protect his family, who live in a different city. But things change in their dreams, and they sleep gfor longer and longer, and soon, they don't wake up. Until they realize they are awake. That's right, their normal life was a dream. Using clues and items that they find along the way, they try to escape, all while hoping that it's still a dream...  But it isn't. Something is watching them, and it isn't going to let them leave.

They follow the paths they see, the clues they find, trying to find the exit, and loop right back to the start. All paths lead back to raw, unfiltered darkness. But when the roads lead to the dark, you pave your own.

What do you think?  I know it will be a lot of work, but with the circumstances affecting the world, I think I should have enough time. Anyways, my name is StoryShadows, and I look forward to participating more. 

Greetings!

3 years ago
I broke up your paragraphs a little bit for people reading on mobile. But welcome to the site! And this sounds like a cool idea. Just as you said, a pretty ambitious one. Usually we recommend people make a smaller scale game first just to get the hang of the editor, since diving into big projects and then getting frustrated and burning out is probably the second biggest noobkiller on the site. But I suppose anything is possible if you're dedicated enough, so good luck with this.

I see you've read and rated a few stories already, which is the other thing we always recommend. So good on you being a little ahead of the curve there already.

Greetings!

3 years ago

I think that I should take your advice. I'm still getting used to things, and I'm doing most of this on mobile. I still definitely have ideas, and I think I should get some of them out before I forget about them, because I definitely am not forgetting about my previous one. I'll stick with a less ambitious Idea, maybe something like a spy mission. Ill get practice with variables, because I want to add a time system and suspicion system. 

Greetings!

3 years ago
I'm doing most of this on mobile.

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked into grief counseling?

Greetings!

3 years ago

What about trying a small one for the tiny-topia prompt? A 2250 word game on a dystopia or utopia. You could even try doing a dream sequence or smaller slice that is self-contained of your lareger story, since it sounds rather dystopian in feel.

Greetings!

3 years ago
Caveat there, the low word count doesn't make those stories easier by any means. They're like the storygame equivalent of flash fiction, and unless you're really capable of looking at a page of writing and identifying how to strip it down to its barest bones I'd say it's simpler to write a 10k storygame than a 2k one.

Greetings!

3 years ago

Lol true. I've been attempting it because it seemed quick - and while it was fast to crank out a thousand words for the first couple of pages, distilling that down to a couple hundred is proving the difficult part.

Greetings!

3 years ago
Olah~