Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Variable Combination Lock

3 years ago

Would it be overkill to set up a combination lock in a story? The way I figure, if I remember the variable mechanics right, I should be able to set it up while only using one page and a few interactive links that change each variable. Of course, I would have to provide clues to the combination. Otherwise, I'd imagine it would be rather irritating.

3 years ago
Eh, depends on the story.

Inputting a combination can feel a bit tedious, since if the player character found out the code, having them just click an 'input combination' link would be easier.

If the answer is not directly given but needs to be figured out from less obvious clues, having the reader enter it might make more sense. However, you're still clicking a bunch of links.

I also wonder how long the combination would be, and how spread the clues that the reader needs to spot are. If they don't realise they need to figure out a number combination, that could also prove a little annoying.

At any rate, I'd say go for it. If it ends up not working out as well as you'd like, you can always remove it.

3 years ago
BeekaZerka has an explanation of how to make a 5 digit PIN code on sneak peek in his profile (scroll all the way down).

The mechanics aren't difficult but Zake was right about considering whether it's necessary or not. It would make the most sense in a puzzle based game where the player is figuring things out as opposed to the character in a more traditional story.