Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

I'm writing a storygame about the zodiacs and I'm not quite sure how to format it. Should I have it with a health variable so you could die, or should there be no way to die, but ways to lose, or what?

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Is there a pointed question here, or are you generally asking what people do? Most stories just have end links, good or bad, without a health system. If you want better advice than that, you'll have to put more effort into the question since you gave no background to your story and no context about the problem you're having.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Well, here's the summary I've written.

There is a hidden realm that watches over the mortal world. There, the embodiments of the ancient constellations reside. Recently, a mysterious force has been taking the constellations. Now, only the twelve zodiacs remain. Take the reigns of one of the twelve and try to uncover the mystery.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago
There's no reason to add a health variable unless a combat system plays a role, or you want the game to automatically end after a certain number of bad decisions. There's not much to go on here, but nothing about it sounds like the kind of plot that needs this.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Ok, thank you! :)

Looking for Advice

3 years ago
I do think though that if you're giving the player the option to play any of twelve characters, you're biting off waaaay more than you can chew. That story will be immense unless the choice actually changes nothing, in case there's not much point and you might as well just pick one character to flesh out and focus on.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

I do a little bit at a time. Starting with Aries, I will go through the whole story from each perspective.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago
Multiple viewpoints of the same storyline can be a fun little storygame concept, but I find myself failing to think up a plot that's complex and interesting enough to read from twelve different perspectives.

I'd stick to two (a switching pro- and antagonist) or three (Mexican standoff type of story) viewpoints and really work those out.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Oh, trust me, this'll be interesting... hehehehe *evil laugh*

Looking for Advice

3 years ago
Just curious, have you ever read the Kipling story The Children of the Zodiac?

It's one of my favorite mythic fairy tale thingies and pretty unlike most of his other work. Just randomly thought of it after seeing this thread, but you might like it too.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Here's some more advice, you probably wouldn't have drawn attention to being an alt, if you hadn't decided to make a "goodbye forever" thread as Artsygirl.

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

End, what in the world makes you think that Cancer the Crab is Artsy Girl? >.<

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Pardon me?

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Ignore him Cancer. He's obviously mistaken. ^_^

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Um, thanks? (I'm not sure how to respond to this XD)

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Yeah, Artsy Girl was some random troll who recently left the site after causing choas. Really not sure why he thinks you're her. Your art style is completely different. ^_^

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

:)

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Personally, I suspect MadHattersDaughter. The resemblance is pretty uncanny. ^_^

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

The blue of the stars DOES match the blue of the sunset/sunrise

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

Well spotted! ^_^

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids who know your primary colors!! >:~[

Looking for Advice

3 years ago

XD