Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

So in my new story I'm making, it involves a dog death early in the game and has blood, blood, and more blood. Is there anything to watch out for or is it all free rein?

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

Dude, just read the descriptions of the maturity ratings on the site. One is literally "anything goes". There are some stories that are definitely worse than dog death and blood, like Love Sick. I also want to point out that blood is generally not a big deal to most readers.

EDIT: I keep seeing newbs making threads with random questions that are easy to answer. Please look through the site, at least at a surface level, to find the answer before you make a random post.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

I know about the whole rating system, I was just wondering if I needed to put a discloser or something in the description, most other sites I visit use that stuff which is part of the reason I left them and stayed here. I haven't been on here in a while (a year?) and only just got back on around Christmas.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

You can put a disclaimer if you want, but generally that's only necessary if you're writing something that can be offensive.

Also, I agree with mizal. It's important that this actually fits your story. Blood and guts for no reason doesn't add anything, it has to be tasteful violence.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

Can't you make it a baby instead of a dog?

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

Lol. Never met a baby who likes to pee outside.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago
Babies don't tend to care.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago
The question you should actually be asking is if it fits the tone of the rest of your story or if there's any point to it in the first place. This isn't a movie, you're not going to impress anyone by just geysering enough descriptions of blood around.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

Yeah my thought process was that it destroys the Protagonist's mental state and sets him up for the rest of the story where he has to make cold-hearted decisions, seeing as you can kill the dog or leave it.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

You should make it a child instead, it'll have more impact that way.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

I mean... is he wrong?

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

No, I'm never wrong.

Do it.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

Should I post the final result here?

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

Wouldn't that spoil the story?

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

Yeah true, but most of it wouldn't make sense. I guess End really never is wrong...

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago
Make sure to be very detailed and analogous with the texture and smells of the entrails. Make us feel it more than see it. Remember that if the animal child seized up upon death the muscles will be a different texture and if it relaxed the smell of shit might fill the air.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

People have said it, but I will say it again. Before you kill anything make sure the reader cares about it.

Also think about the tone of your story. Lots of blood gives you a splatter movie feel, that's not a subgenre that is known for being able to evoke a deep sense of loss, and for good reasons it doesn't have a literary analogue.

What you want to make it sting is the moment of connection. The moment when you look in the dog's eyes and the dog looks back at you. You know the dog is going to die, and the dog knows you know, and then it's over.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago

that's why you have to kill two babies 

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago
Bonus Points if you force them to fight each other to the death with chainsaws.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago
Commended by BerkaZerka on 1/30/2021 1:52:47 PM
But dont focus on the blood too much. Make sure to mention the smell of gasoline and the sound of 12,000 rpm hooks digging into the soft gelatenous flesh, flinging it onto nearby surfaces creating ad hoc rorschach tests.

Too Grotesque?

3 years ago
This reminds me that StrykerL had it mandatory in his storygame to kill the dog in the beginning. By burning it alive.

The player has a gun too, but the game isn't interested in letting you use it. That just wouldn't be sad enough.