Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Gone Fishin' Contest discussion

10 months ago

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread for people to talk about their plans and stories for the Spring/Summer contest. Maybe even encourage or help resolve roadblocks for each other in the effort.

I'm currently leaning toward a sci-fi oriented story built around a mechanic of going to different planets and trying to outfish the NPC hosts of the show.  Comparison results are based on total weight caught for each type of fish.  There is a broad selection of "fish" that will be randomly caught and weighed and tracked as an aggregate.  Currently still focused on generating the list of fish, weight and "pull chance" for each planet and how many planets I want to cover.  I'm still waffling on how much mobility in that regard I want to give to the story.  I've also been rereading the help articles on building ingame codexes and such.

10 months ago

I'm also going with a sci-fi theme, though I'm going more towards space whaling. I'm currently in a mix of a research phase and a writing phase. I'm looking into a lot of speculative biology to make more "realistic" space-dwelling creatures. The writing part has mostly been getting the introduction of the story done, which is a roughly 2.7k words so far. If I don't lose momentum this story will far surpass the word count of my previous writing. I have two major storylines planned out, with a few offshoots I'm still working on. 

10 months ago

I was thinking about writing a dark fantasy story. The challenge will be linking the story to fishing somehow, in a major way. 

10 months ago

Was thinking in the same vein. Am now leaning to gothic horror. 

No vampires. No werewolves.

10 months ago
I was thinking about writing a story about a big, white whale.

10 months ago

...From the Whale's point of view?

10 months ago

Mine's a secret.~ 

The only problem is I can't decide whether I want it to be funny or have a more serious tone.

10 months ago

Always go with funny.

10 months ago

After talking about it with my wife, I've decided to change it up and go with a more story driven kind if thing.  I can repurpose some if what I was doing originally for the actual fishing elements, but with a better story framing than I had.