Twin Arrows

A historical storygame by ninjapitka

Commended by mizal on 8/24/2019 8:39:09 PM

Player Rating6.11/8

"#161 overall, #14 for 2019"
Based on 80 ratings since 08/28/2019
Played 2,328 times (finished 115)

Story Difficulty6/8

"Wandering through the desert"

Play Length5/8

"Not going to lose any sleep"

Maturity Level5/8

"Aren't you a little too old to be trick or treating"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG-13.

1852 - The Territory of New Mexico

The hunt has taken me to to the outer edges of civilization. Out here, lawlessness abides. There are no godly folk. Only heathen. The inner demon in me can relate to the call of anarchy. No rules, being bound by nothing; it sounds like freedom. In the end, that "freedom" is simply the self-indulgent, care-free living that is a poison upon humanity. If killing a man will save society from the infection of lawlessness, then I will gladly do what is necessary.

You eye the journal at your lap. The freshly written ink expands and bleeds to the perfect width of the quill. Satisfied that it won't smear, you shut the book and toss it aside. The meager fire at your feet does little to warm your body, but its original use was already completed. The frail, thin-boned squirrel did little to satisfy your hunger. Still, it would keep you alive until the next meal. You pull the leather waterskin from your pack to gauge how much longer it would last. With a gentle shake, you estimate it'll last a couple more days with strict rationing.

The road is lonely. In a former life, you dreamed about wandering the world without any responsibility or burdens. The reality of the road's harsh living conditions were nothing like the trigger-happy romanticized versions of the lawless west. Here there are no home-cooked meals, no warm body to lie next to yours. It's only you and the necessary task. Someone had to die.

You gaze up at the night sky. It seemed foreign at first. Without city lights to disorient the constellations, it looked like an entirely new sky. If you traveled at a good pace, you'd reach Canyon Diablo by midday. You pull the bone-carved pipe from your pack and light a match against the sole of your foot. You lie down on your bedroll, breathe in the relaxing tobacco, and drift off to sleep...

Author's Note:

The Wild West is a dangerous place. Be sure to make good use of that "back" button. I've hidden three achievements throughout the story. Yes, your total score will show if you've discovered them or not. The highest score possible is an 8/8.


Point Breakdown:
Achievements: 1 point each
Epilogue: 5 points

Entry for mizal's Lone Hero contest.

8/28/19 Update: Fixed the symbols appearing in the description

Player Comments

view more...
Cricket on 12/13/2019 10:41:48 PM with a score of 0
view more...
TurnipBandit on 8/20/2019 6:04:10 PM with a score of 5
view more...
Bill_Ingersoll on 8/19/2019 8:50:32 PM with a score of 5
view more...
Yummyfood on 4/5/2022 11:22:16 AM with a score of 5
view more...
Northwind on 12/20/2020 1:38:58 PM with a score of 5
view more...
eatyourveggies on 11/28/2020 12:18:29 PM with a score of 5
view more...
— Lili on 10/30/2020 1:25:10 PM with a score of 0
view more...
— MEEEEe on 10/7/2020 10:29:25 AM with a score of 5
view more...
writeyourstory on 10/6/2020 12:04:50 PM with a score of 5
view more...
Will11 on 2/6/2020 11:08:44 PM with a score of 5
Show All Comments