Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Changing the font of the "Start button" of a story

6 years ago

Is this possible? I tried making a game using some scripting in the title, and it just doesn't work. So, is there a way to change the font (including color) of the little gray button you push to begin a game? Specifically, what I am referring to is shown in this image:

. . .

. . .

I'm 99% certain it can't be done, but there are plenty of mad geniuses here that have helped me with some really tricky stuff before, so I figure it's worth a shot to ask.

Thanks!

6 years ago
What happens if you do put something like bold or italics in your title, the gray button shows the actual tags. Which of course is insanely tacky looking.

6 years ago
I'm 99% certain it can be done, because some stories change the backgrounds of the storygame blurb page and even the colour of the ratings box etc. There'll be some selector I don't know of that Brad will swoop in and drop, or you can find the name of in the source code and use CSS to affect.

Also might want to be wary of messing about with the visuals of CYS too much- apparently 3J isn't too happy with people changing the beautiful aesthetic we have here. Still, it's not like he can do much, what with being banished to the shadow realm and all (oh, the irony! The sweet irony!), and as long as you're a decent writer, which you are, I'm sure there's leeway.

As for being actually useful, uh...

6 years ago
Well, it was mostly an idle curiosity. I've spent so much time on aesthetics that I don't think I can really afford to screw off too much more with it, especially on something like the page BEFORE the title page. Maybe after this contest I'll investigate it.

6 years ago

Eeny meeny miny minput,
.storygame-play-button input

6 years ago
Huh. Where would that go? I see no possible way to edit the script of the link to the story. Would that go in the title?

6 years ago
Just for fun, I tried that, and it didn't work. I'm guessing that's one of the places 3J stripped out all the extras...

6 years ago
It is definitely still possible to do things on the description page, I'm just not sure about the button. But if Bradin implied it would work, I'm sure it does if you apply the right sort of voodoo.

We still have this awful thing after all. (The shutterstock image that says 'shutterstock image' just makes it, I love that she didn't quite have the technical know how to crop that part out lol...)

6 years ago
Dang. That means it isn't stripped out, I just did it wrong. Hmmm....

6 years ago
How did I forget that classic children's rhyme?!

6 years ago
If you do figure this out, I recommend keeping it subtle.

6 years ago
Yeah, ThreeJay was really not a fan of people tinkering with the actual site aesthetics.

6 years ago
But is in story stuff okay with him? (I assume threeJay is the super boss, right?) Cause I am going to some pretty far extremes on my next story on that account. I've spent a week or more on learning some scripting/getting help on it, and hours of photo editing.

6 years ago
If it's inside the actual story, you're golden. But stuff that affects the actual layout of the site, like the start button, yeah, he had all those modifications purged last time he was here. Brad had a really fancy profile page that had to go.

6 years ago
No worries on that count from me. I'm a couple years away from being that good, and the only person I know (my brother) who could figure it out, aside from the very helpful members here, always berates me for spending time learning scripting here and says I should "learn how to use unity or unreal and make a mobile game or assets and actually make money, tard." Every time he sees me on this website it's a broken record, lol.

Since putting pictures and formatting text on the first intro page is easy to do, and since you seem to be wary of people screwing with that too much, feel free to close this thread.

6 years ago
God forbid anyone ever do anything creative just for fun.

6 years ago

Telling him you are working on the MVP (minimum viable product).

Once you make a game with buttloads of interest and views, THEN you take your show on the unity or unreal road. ;-)