Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Probably not worth it for now

[SITE] Spoiler Tags in the Comments

8 years ago

I just wrote a story, and in the comments, someone just wrote a review. The review spoiled my game! Instead of asking the review to be deleted, can we have "Spoiler Tags", so that the person reviewing doesn't spoil it for everyone else?

Thanks!

8 years ago
I agree with this idea.

8 years ago

Agree 100%.

8 years ago

Can you figure out a way that could be implemented?

8 years ago
  1. Go to reddit.
  2. Find something that's been spoiler tagged
  3. inspect element
  4. copy CSS
  5. message alexp and say "hear is teh css pls no kil tyvm"
  6. alexp copies css
  7. puts it where it needs to go
  8. now has spoiler tags and spoiler text options
  9. congratulations

If only it were that easy...it's basically that easy though :S spoiler stuff is done all over the internet on many sites. I'd imagine it wouldn't take much...but that's just imagination. Maybe it takes a lot :P

8 years ago

Dunno, I feel like anybody looking at anything but the featured comments should be watching out for spoilers anyway, right? The only thing I can see is just a policy to only feature comments that are either spoiler free or have warnings within them. Anything more is unnecessary IMO.

8 years ago

A lot of newer story games don't have featured comments. That includes mine. You could do something like this.  But have it be an HTML tag in the content editor window.

8 years ago

HTML is too easily abused for that to be feasible. Maybe an advanced text editor like we have for the forums but without the source button?

8 years ago

Or even like a "See More" button that can be seen sometimes when someone types too much. In this case it just collasps the spoiler.

8 years ago

What I'm getting at is that for there to be a chance of Alex having time to fulfill this request, you have to explain how,it,could easily/quickly be done, preferably using things that already exist.

8 years ago
In their defense, in the story, you specifically requested that people leave a comment and describe what choices they made...

As for implementing this, though, I could see a tag being added to allow it, but there would be no way to force people to use it. For that matter, we could just ask people to write "spoiler" in the comment -- but that doesn't mean they will. I think this is a nice idea, but I don't think people would actually use it.

8 years ago

What about a checkbox on the commenting screen that says "comment contains spoilers"? Commenters can check the box and their comment will be marked as a spoiler, and the comment can also be tagged later on. Spoiler comments remain present, but their content is hidden and can be revealed by clicking a button. (Perhaps the author(s) and those who've already rated the game will be able to see spoilers by default.)

8 years ago

Okay, again please explain how that would be implemented.

8 years ago
It would be an additional field in the database where the comments are stored. Implemented with a check box on the form for submitting the comments.

Is that what you're looking for?

8 years ago

You could use jquery to create a readmore function that allows text within that field to be "hidden" until the user clicks on it. Typing, jquery collapse text on google brings up quite a few implementations.

8 years ago

Reposted from the original thread, a list of what your FWW post needs in order to avoid rejection:  

1. Does it clearly state who it will benefit (readers, new members, authors, power users, etc.) and how it will benefit them?
  2. Does it thoroughly describe the mechanism in which it will work? I.e. how it would appear to a user, if it could "leverage" an existing feature (like, the notifications)
  3. How difficult will this be to implement?
  4. How important is this to implement relative to all the other things that can be done?
  5. Has this already been requested? If so, how is it different (if it's new) or why should it be reconsidered (if it's rejected)?
  6. Does the community think that it's a worthy idea?

Difficulty --- I would use the “obvious” test more than anything; before, there were some crazy ones like “allow me to make a video game inside my game that you have to pass first”.

Mechanism --- that’s mostly about making sure the idea is very clearly (and unambiguously) described from the users’ perspective. For example, don’t say “allow me to favorite a storygame” without saying “add a star icon (like this one I found [over here]) next  to the title on the storygame overview page, that lights up when a storygame is favorited, can be clicked to favorite/unfavorite a storygame. Then, under MyStuff, have a page that lists the storygames that were featured.”

A message from Alexp:

I don’t foresee having time in the near future to do any website changes… but sometimes I have a few hours and I want to try coding something again. So, it’s nice to have a list of things that are easy to implement and high-value. As an example, the “Does it thoroughly describe the mechanism in which it will work?” rule was huge ---- that’s where the @notifications came from. It’s been a “wish” since day one, but as soon as someone said “just use notifications like duels”, it was like “oh yeah, I could do that”.

8 years ago

I knew this was posted (it's in articles)

This is what I'm asking for: see the description of "mechanism?" 

8 years ago
Issue is ease vs usefulness here.

The easiest method is to have a checkbox when they write the review that says something like "does this review contain spoilers?", and if they check it, the entire review is put into an easily makeable spoiler tag that others press a button to open up.

Thing is, many reviews contain SOME spoilers, but most only contain a bit at the end. Along with that, having the spoilers would enviably lead to some people having to go around and enforce said spoilers on comments where the commenter didn't say it contained spoilers even when it did.

The more useful method is for Alex to make a switch from html to bbcode in everywhere except for the story editor itself (so forums/comments would be switched). This also has the benefit of eliminating all of the html issue people can cause on the forums, without taking away our ability to code our storygames.

Issue with that is I have no idea how long it would take, because our backend is a mystery to everyone, haha.

And of course, another issue here is what is the point of making any large changes if Alex already has a second site in the works.