Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

I was watching this show on Discovery, and they were talking about mermaids,

I honestly think mermaids or mermen can be real, ever heard of the Aquatic Ape theory?

That we were once marine animals or something, and after all we do have extra skin between our fingers so.. 

I don't know the videos they were showing on there seemed legit, but too many fakes to balance out what real and what's not.

Your thoughts?

Mermaids!

10 years ago

I highly doubt the existence of mermaids, however the Aquatic Ape theory is possible.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Actual mermaids. Nah.

Water like humanoids. Eh, maybe.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Only mermaid was Alexander the Great's sister who tried to give him the water of immortality but accidentally dropped it on her. Ever since she's been traveling the seas asking if Alexander is alive, if you answer "He lives and rules" you're good to go, if you say he is said you are doomed!

This isn't a myth, it's historical fact. Seriously, how many times do I have to tell you guys?

Mermaids!

10 years ago

"He lives and rules from his throne in the Trailer Park west of Verona Italy! He sold my dad a shit car!"

Mermaids and magic water and stuff!

10 years ago

That was a bit silly, wasn't it?

Handling water of immortality is not a good time to have butter fingers, that's for sure.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

I'm not sure why I'm giving you a serious answer, but I call bull shit on mermaids. :P

However, I can meet you... semi-half way on this because unicorns are another story. A horse-like animal with a single horn on its head. Horned four legged animals? (gazelles, deer, goats,) Common. Multiple breeds of horse like creatures in the world (donkeys, zebras,) check. Assuming one of those breeds, now extinct, once had a horn? Yeah. Really not that far-fetched.

Hell, I could buy that "dragons" existed at some point... as some lesser, surviving relatives of what we know as dinosaurs. (Fire-breathing or flying, probably not, but I could be wrong. It IS physically possible for an insect to produce a liquid roughly the temperature of boiling water with chemicals in it's abdomen, so it's safe to say that nature has some pretty weird shit out there already... maybe a lizard with a fire-starter cocktail in his gullet isn't all that crazy after all.)

Mermaids!

10 years ago

(Extra skin? ... No, pretty sure all my skin needs to be where it is, I don't think I have any to spare.)

Mermaids!

10 years ago

'Course mermaids exist... They're called manatees.

Unicorns also exist... They're called rhinos.

And dragons... Dinosaurs cheeky

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Banshees-- Old women with bad hearing :P

Mermaids!

10 years ago

I was always amused by the more "mundane" mythical creatures like the Jackalope. Sadly, those are just rabbits with tumors around their heads rather than something magical.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Maybe tumors are magical!

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Ents-  tall asthmatics with really bad acne.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Zombies-- Computer-addicted teenagers with bad hygiene... 

Mermaids!

10 years ago

On acid or bath salts.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Or Krokodil... :-/

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Wizards-- Chemists with nothing left to lose.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Werewolves-- Women and their monthly timey...

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Vampires-- WoW players hopped up on steroids.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Necromancers - Game developers.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Cthulhu-- Yo momma! HEY-YOOOOOOOOO!

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Necromancers - Endmaster

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Centaurs, minotaurs, manticores, werewolves and satyrs... Furries >.<

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Nah, they would just be whole animals then, unless they were all in the process of taking off their fur-suits and got stuck.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Pikachu: An electric rat

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Vampires- Emo kids.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

We already did vampires.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

WELL I DID IT AGAIN!angry

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Mine was a less obvious choice.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

YEAH, IT WAS.

Mermaids, werewolves and periods!

10 years ago

Especially if they forget to shave.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Obviously false...

Mermaids!

10 years ago

You do realize Discovery and History channels are full of lies, right?

No?

Oh...

Okay...

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Tfw history channel talks about how aliens made pyramids.

Tfw five minutes later they talk about evolution.

Tfw five minutes later they talk about how creationism works and how the pyramids were made by man.

The fuck are they trying to go with.

This isn't even like, non biased, it's just loads of shit being spewed on more layers of shit.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

And they still somehow get all the conservatives to agree with them...

Mermaids!

10 years ago
Smells like success to me. :D

Mermaids!

10 years ago

I've seen that one!

It looks so absurdly fake, I wouldn't believe it. I don't know what they where doing showing that on tv....

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Of course it looks fake, they're animations for a documentary, which are never hollywood-grade productions when it comes to that kind of thing. I'd think it'd be less believable if they tried to make it look real!

Mermaids!

10 years ago

They are educating the masses on how insanely successful their company is despite it's lies and obvious failure to be an actual history channel.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Isn't that the channel that claimed that the Megalodon shark was still around? :P

Mermaids!

10 years ago

It's so full of bullshit nowadays...

Unlike back then, when it was actual documentaries backtobacktobacktoback.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

The SyFy Channel has more accurate "documentaries" than the Discovery Channel.

Oddly though the History Channel has more aliens than the SyFy channel...

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Let's just switch the names then. lol

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Sounds like some sort of wacky conspiracy theory...

History is supposed to be more 'fact', so someone *CoughgovernmentCough* wants us believing in Aliens.

Syfy is considered nigh impossible, unlikely super future-- Science Fiction. And yet, it is presenting us with truth...

The Discovery channel is supposed to be interesting, but true. However, it is filled with BS to the highest degree.

WHAT DO ALL THESE CLUES ADD UP TO? crying

Mermaids!

10 years ago

That the future will actually be like the past?

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Sharknado vs. Crocosaurus

Mermaids!

10 years ago

That people seek entertainment more often than enlightenment?

Mermaids!

10 years ago

It sort of sucks because I had to change what my protagonist watches to "learn" about the world. She mainly just uses the internet now. (Because we all know that's completely accurate)

Doesn't really matter anyway I guess since her life changes drastically at the very beginning of the story.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

I would think the Internet is somehow more accurate than most television.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Well she hung out on it more often to begin with, but still there was a time where you could find some interesting stuff on regular TV that wasn't complete bullshit.

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Public radio anyone?......

*walks out in shame*

Mermaids!

10 years ago

Morse code?