Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

So how did you find this site?

9 years ago

Originally, I was playing a couple of ChoiceofGames and didn't feel very satisfied with the storygames I played. I saw this site a couple of times but steered clear because I didn't like the name of (don't kow why). I then began to Google search for a good interactive story and inadvertently ended up on this site. The first game I played here was Necromancer which resulted in me creating an account so I could save the game.

How did you find/join this site?

9 years ago

I was looking for zombies games to play. Found this one. Thought it was cool. Started googling more choose your path zombie stories. Found this site. So yeah, it's kind of hard to find sites like this. 

http://www.zombiegames.net/games/Dead-Frontier-Outbreak.html

9 years ago

@Ugilick introduced it to me. They were playing a mafia game and needed one more player to get it started so he asked me in class. It sounded like a stupid idea to me, but he talked me into it. I ended up loving the game, so I decided to wait for another. Eventually I happened onto the storygames and fell in love with some of them. Just kinda stuck around after that.

9 years ago

80% sure that was my mafia game.

9 years ago

Speaking of mafia games, I think you should join in Seth's mafia games from time to time. 

9 years ago

It's no fun winning all the time ;)

9 years ago

That's why I said from time to time. ;P

9 years ago

It probably was. I remember you were in it and I played a lotta your games back in the day. Back when we actually had to struggle to find enough players :P

9 years ago

Well it all started off with me playing Lone Wolf Saga on android. From there I search the app store looking for anything alike to play but unfortunately the app store is limited....

So I decided to look at the internet and I started at the Choice of Games Forum. They have a section for other interactive fiction and somewhere there sombody listed ChooseYourStory and infinite story. I played at Infinite Story first but the games there were not great to be honest and the forum was dead. I came over here out of curiosity and liked what I saw.

9 years ago

I played ChoiceOfGames on my android phone and liked them (started with Choice of Dragon, then Broadside, then Vampire then Romance). I think that was around they changed the system to playing the 1st part for free and then paying which I didn't like (cause I don't have a credit card).

Anyway, time passed and I was browsing NationStates when an Iranian dude made a thread asking for more of this type of games (I think he called it interactive fiction or whatever) and posted Necromancer.
I told him I liked these kind of games and he sent me here (he also mentioned the forums). Didn't see him here though and I think he didn't spend much time on NS either... odd

9 years ago

I loved choice of dragon and vampire but Broadside was just meh?

9 years ago

I think Choice of Romance was the best... or was for 14(?) year old me. 

9 years ago

Choice of Romance was certainly good yes. But from the games they host, Life of a Wizard or Way Walkers would be the best.

9 years ago

I think Zombie Exodus is the best, then again I don't remember at all the ones you mentioned (but I'm sure I've played them for some reason)

9 years ago

Broadsides, Exodus, and Romance were my favorites.

9 years ago

I never played that I don't think but it is in my Wishlist. The best zombie game I played was Zombie High Volume 1 but the series isn't finished yet. I hate waiting :(

9 years ago

You have to pay to get the full Zombie Exodus. I read somewhere that it chrages you like 5 bucks for the entire game which I find a rip-off but I'm not sure

9 years ago

That's ChoiceOfGames for you. Many of their stories aren't worth much if anything at all.

9 years ago

Zombie Exudus isn't Choice of Games :D

But I have my ways to get it for free.....I simply haven't played it because no one has uploaded it on a certain app.

9 years ago

Well, CoC are his publishers so I guess that they came up with the idea

9 years ago

No, Choice of Games get contacted by people to be able to use there scripting and host the game. COG simply publish it and take around 50%(I think) of any profits.

9 years ago

Exactly, they are the publishers so it is likely they chose the price. The creator told me he had to ask his publishers to make paypal acceptable

9 years ago

True, anything after the 2nd Choice of Romance ain't worth it

9 years ago

Weird, I only just discovered ChoiceOfGames and I'm really enjoying it. I'm liking Vampire and Romance best so far.

And yeah, some of the games here are a lot better and you don't have to pay anything, but one thing I really like about COG is that you don't get any troll games. Some games aren't as good as the others but they're all decent. ^_^

9 years ago

For me, I simply was trying to find quality games. And since I was not willing to get up and go buy choose your own adventure games, I searched up choose your own adventure on Google. And so, I picked the friendliest looking one.

The first few games I played were by Mazeman, next was Briar's Tower of Riddles, and finally Jurassic Fairview Park, the game that sparked me into creating an account. However, I was too busy to sign up and forgot the site for a long time until I simply joined in during the month of February, long after I played my first storygames.

9 years ago

Not a fucking clue. I think it was on the 18th page of google search results. Only a pre-teen would venture that far down the rabbit hole. At this point in my life, if it's not on the first page, I'm not finding it.

9 years ago

I usually go in at least three pages before give up the search.

9 years ago

I only do that when I'm desperate enough. 

9 years ago

Why? Haven't you heard of Motherless (18+, don't google it)

9 years ago

Why not don't google it? ;P

9 years ago
Make sure you're alone before you do :P don't want parents or siblings to be looking at that content ;)

9 years ago

"Go ahead, she isn't looking"

9 years ago

Just searched it. Very misleading name.

9 years ago
It was around late October and it was starting to drop to around 60-65*F (probably 15*C off the top of my head). So it was bone chilling cold compared to any other time of the year. I stayed inside drinking hot chocolate, even though I stay inside and drink hot chocolate for any season, this hot chocolate was especially good (even though I make it the same as I always do with the same powder and tiny chalk marshmallows). I went on to the internet, google searched "Choose your own story games" and the first thing that popped up was this website. So I clicked on it, didn't read anything, made an account, didn't read anything again, figured stuff out, sentinel was the first person to greet me, 3J was the first profile I viewed and I was like "WOAH LOOK AT ALL THE TROPHIES THIS GUY HAS", then I got bored in a week and made a new account. That repeated without the 3J part about five times until I made "Ford" after reading The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series for the fourth time. When I joined people made car jokes - which I probably should've seen coming since the full screen name is "Ford Prefect". I've made a couple accounts since then for testing purposes - but Ford will probably be my main account for however long I want to stay here. Although, OldManWillakers was pretty nice, I had plenty of annoying old man jokes...and that's how I found the site - random google search xD

9 years ago

I'm surprise JJ hadn't banned you for making...it sounded like a dozen accounts. 

9 years ago
Making more than one account isn't against the rules :P probably. I haven't seen anything that says it's against the rules xD

9 years ago

We don't exactly have a rule section here...

9 years ago
There's the:

-Terms Of Service
-Forum Rules
-Minimum Site Standards

and other places to find requirements or rules, so while there is no rule section - there's moral rules of the site.

9 years ago

Well, no one ever reads the Terms of Services...ever.

Forum Rules, okay, but that's pertaining only to Forum postings. 

And Minimum Site Standards was created like...yesterday or the day before? 

9 years ago
That's probably why you don't know the stuff that I do, you don't read any of the legal paperwork or articles xD

9 years ago

Bah. That's for lawyers to read. Not us normal people. 

9 years ago

We do, actually.

9 years ago

He can make as many accounts as he wants as long as he's:

A) not obnoxious about it
B) not rating storygames with both accounts (vote brigading) and
C) not dueling between the accounts (point cheating)

9 years ago

15*C isn't that cold. You might be a bit off there :D

9 years ago
It's usually about 40*C :P

9 years ago

That's too hot! I can't bear the heat above 30*C

9 years ago

Sounds like a typical August for me

9 years ago

I don't know how you guys cope with that :D if someone makes some kind of science statement I will lick your face off.

9 years ago

Greek DNA and air-condioning. Lots and lots of air-conditioning

9 years ago

Air Conditioning, what's that?

We don't have air conditioning anywhere in England :D

9 years ago

Of course not, it's always raining there. 

9 years ago

Apparently it's like that up north too, at least according to my dad (from Pennsylvania). Which doesn't really make sense to me because they also get hot summers. Oh well, just means that it sucked to be them when the heat wave hit earlier this year XD

9 years ago

Air conditions can warm the house to. Odd that none uses them that way. I guess oil is cheaper....

9 years ago

Yeah, they just buy heaters apparently. But that's how we use air conditioning too :P. 

And what do you think we use? Oil lamps? XD

9 years ago

Sounds like an American inability to understand celsius to me. 

However, a comfortable day to me is eighty to ninety degrees Farenheit. Anything above ninety is an inconvenience, anything above a hundred just sucks. Anything under seventy has me shivering and staying indoors.

9 years ago

Anything above 33C is incovenience? 

9 years ago

Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahp. I don't speak your magical temperature language!

9 years ago

:P

Well currently it is 25C which is 77F and man it is fantastic.

9 years ago

Yeah it's not bad. I prefer it warm though. I may be different than the others in Alabama though who knows?

My dad keeps the house pretty cold though XD

9 years ago

Alabama? Does that make you a redneck?

Do you have a funny accent?

9 years ago

He doesn't look like a redneck :D

9 years ago

Nope. Makes me Southern. Redneck is a really stupid state of mind.

And I honestly don't know. I know that I use shortened words like "nothin'" or "changin'" but I've been told that the accent (as far as the way my voice sounds) is actually neutral. Then again I'm told this by southerners, so who knows.

9 years ago

Jooooooin us Bo! We Allll know how much you hate that letter F :D

9 years ago

My family's name starts with it <-<. 

9 years ago

Awkward Oh no! Bo, I am so sorry you have to live with F forever. My condolences.

9 years ago

I'm going to to change my name for Farenheit.

9 years ago

Noooooo!

9 years ago

A good day is around fifty degrees Farenheit.  

Where I live, average temperature ranges from 0 F in the winter, to 90 in the summer.

That's, um, something like  -17 to 32 in celsius.

Our unofficial state motto is "if you don't like the weather- wait a minute, it'll change."

9 years ago

-17.......how.....how do you live!

9 years ago

You're from Ohio? 

9 years ago

That's the motto of almost every state XD

9 years ago

I knew you were OldManWillakers, I knew it! (not really, but it makes sense now)

9 years ago
Ford, Alchemy, CopyCat, OldManWillakers, Avagantamos, Mystery, Ford2 (or Not_Ford, or FordTest, I can't remember my testing account, it was something along those lines though), and a few others I can't remember. Those are the ones I spent more than a week on though :S

9 years ago

ObeyMyRod?

9 years ago
Nope, that was some other guy. He had a potato profile picture too (it was some sort of compressed jpeg that was too big so it looked mutated) xD

9 years ago

You were Mystery? Bah. You're no mystery. 

9 years ago
I was testing to see who would pick up on the hyperlink apostrophe, no one did and so no one got the prize. I basically made Mystery to test how observant people are, and how obvious I can be. Nothing happened so I just abandoned the project :P

9 years ago

I did pick up on your hyperlink letters...give me some credit. And besides, how sure are you that I didn't pick up on the hyperlink apostrophe? 

9 years ago
If you did you would've got the prize :P which you didn't. No one did - it's gone now, it was just a short experiment anyways.

9 years ago

I mean if I picked up on it, but didn't click the link?

Never click on weird links! Especially if Ford posted them! That's the rule of thumb, anyway...

9 years ago

Believe it or not, someone actually linked the Wikipedia article on CYOAs to this site.  

9 years ago

Yeah, that was me and I've been fighting the fascist wiki mods about it ever since.

So far I've managed to keep it from being deleted under the "Addventure" article. But I've had to move it around on occasion or wait a few months before sneaking it back up there again.

9 years ago

So it seems you caused many of us to be here. Praise the creator!

9 years ago

I never knew you were sneaky...

9 years ago

Did you ever pose as a Persian guy and went to Nationstates? Seriously, who the fuck was that guy?

9 years ago

Nah, not me. The only time I messed around with Nation States was a few years back when someone from here (I think it was Zero) linked to it and some of us created countries. It was sort of fun oppressing people for awhile, but I was mainly keeping to myself and didn't get into any major aspect of it (talking with other people about their countries, making treaties, etc) and I got bored and abandoned it.

Plus I scanned the forums there and it seemed like every thread was bitching about someone being a bigot or something similar and I didn't see any reason to waste my time.

9 years ago

"every thread was bitching about someone being a bigot"

Then I guess it ain't surprising I'm banned for life there :P Meh, took them like 3 years but they did it.

Thing I just remembered: It isn't just that I found this site there but if I wasn't banned a day after that I would have never gotten into this forums either... odd

Anyway, you didn't miss out much, the "gameplay" aspect is boring and most people play non-NS related RPs at P2TM

9 years ago

You know, Ford's always saying what a ton of free time he has, he should start a TvTropes page on this place and get people to help when needed.

A bunch of Choice of Games people did that.

9 years ago

I think I was probably looking up Choose Your Own Adventure when I stumbled across the site. Hurray for nostalgia ^_^

9 years ago

Am I the only one here who never got such a book?

9 years ago

I never did. I'm getting too old for this though...

9 years ago

Too old for what?

9 years ago

Nothing, I just felt like saying something slightly irrelevant.

9 years ago

Stop acting like a cat lady and explain yourself

9 years ago

I don't even like cats and I just did explain myself.

9 years ago

Nope, many people have never got it.

9 years ago

Well, I was looking for CYOA games online. The only thing I could find close to what I wanted was a game called Alter Ego. I played it until I was bored, and then, I started looking for more games. Eventually my search brought me here. I looked into infinite stoy a while ago, but I didn't like the format of the games or the fact that it didn't have the equivalent of the advanced editor. So, it looks like I'm here to stay.

9 years ago

I thought Alter Ego was actually quite good.

9 years ago

Looking for fictional stories on necromancers. I eventually decided to look for a choose your adventure type version and Endmasters "Necromancer" was one of the search results. :p

9 years ago

I found it last year during the week of my final exams, since students have days off between days of finals, and I just randomly looked up "choose your own adventure games." I then found this site, finished one of the Shadow endings in 3-4 hours, and felt depressed after (I just wanted to keep reading!). I just kept reading his stories, and then introduced myself to 3J, Sindriv, and BerkaZerka. I am now a CYS psycho, and I'm proud!

9 years ago

my mom was telling me about aventure books and i searched up choose your story adventure books and this site came up

9 years ago

Please ask her to register and send me a message! I'd love to speak with her. @mousepaw

9 years ago

Came here four years ago as a guest when I really wanted to create a CYS.  I never really got to it, but for what it's worth, I think the effort of searching an hour for this site was one of the better decisions I've made in my life.  RPing became a fun pasttime, and  my diction boosted up through constant practice of writing.  Compared to how I was back then, I'll admit one thing : through CYS, my writing skills have become more digestible than ever before, and communicating online and offline suddenly smoothed itself out thanks to you guys.  (I'd also like to mention that my social life and my outlook matured a lot more from being a narrow-minded kiddy.  Thanks.)

^Was gonna save that for my next birthday, but 8 months is a little long.  Again, thank you guys for having me, the annoying buffoon, in your company.  I do hope that this site continues for as long as possible; it's a really nice niche to stick in.

9 years ago

Looking for a necromancer game (couldn't find anything worth playing), found the story necromancer instead and enjoyed that.