Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

How long is does it take to make a 5/8 storygame?

9 years ago

I'm making a new storygame and I'm expecting it will take about 5 months. Is this a normal amount?

9 years ago
It varies for everyone.

9 years ago

I'm talking about a mostly story driven game with more focus on the story than the actual gameplay.

9 years ago

It depends on how much you write.

9 years ago

Some writers are lucky to write a few sentences in a day of work. Other can pump out 10,000 words in a couple hours. Pace of writing differs from writer to writer. Add into to that things like writer's block and life getting in the way, and you get a hugely variable amount of time it can take to write something.

9 years ago

It definitely varies; I can churn out a 5/8 story game in about a week by writing whenever I'm not sleeping or working but to write a good 7/8 story usually takes a couple of months or longer, I don't think anyone can write a truly great story game in less than a month (with the possible exception of Snow which uses it's economy with words to make itself more effective). Most people lose interest in their stories though and let other things distract them or grow discouraged that their stories aren't "good enough" (for who?) :)

9 years ago

JJJ wrote The Order of the Midnight Sun in 4 days.

9 years ago

He had to go back and edit it multiple times if I remember correctly, so ... in its current state, no. It took longer.

9 years ago

Yeah, but still, most of it was written then.

9 years ago

And more power to him, but even so, a refined story usually takes a while to write.

(... Then again, I've never written a 5/8 before.)

9 years ago

Are you talking about story length or rating?

9 years ago

I finished my first storygame in 1 month. It got 5/8 ratings.

If I'm on holidays with no school days, I can finish it in 1 week instead of 1 month.