Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

I'm a newbie and I need advice :)

8 years ago

So, I'm trying to create a storygame, and I'm confused about what category to put it in. I'm nowhere near done with it but I would like to know for future reference. It's sort of fanfiction, it's based on/around the world of the fandom it comes from, BUT the reader/player doesn't need to know anything about the show it's based off in order for them to play the game. The player learns as they go about the universe(which is a sort of paranormal setting, just for reference).

Any tips for where to put it? Should I put it in fanfiction and label it as the fandom, or just stick it in Fantasy, where its paranormal genre would fit?

8 years ago

If it is a direct reference to ANYTHING, like being in the same universe or having the same characters or something like that, it's fanfiction.

You could always just add tags later.

8 years ago

It won't have any of the same characters whatsoever. As I said, it's of a paranormal genre. The goal of the reader/player is to kill or somehow get rid of a demon that's possessing people at their high school, there are no direct references that won't be understood by people who haven't seen the show, but much of the lore on demons is taken from the show.

So would it still be fanfiction?

8 years ago

Yes. It's still based off the show, right? Is the setting the same? Is it in the same timeline of the show?

8 years ago

No, the setting is not the same. It has no interaction with the canon events of the show, nor the characters. It's just the creature(which is a fairly generalized creature, not something specific like, I don't know, a Hobbit from Lord of the Rings or a House Elf from Harry Potter). I'm just a little confused because it's pretty vague for fanfiction, but the creature was not created by me.

8 years ago

What's the show?

8 years ago

(Whoops. That's probably pretty important to mention.) It's Supernatural.

8 years ago

If I remember correctly, the demons in that show aren't that different from normal. If you don't want it to be fanfiction you could easily change a few small details and just call it inspired by Supernatural. I mean, there's a lot of stuff with Orcs that isn't Tolkien Fanfic.

8 years ago

All right, that helped, thank you :) I'll keep that in mind while creating it!

(One other question. I keep hearing something about WC and that it was banned, but I have no idea what it stands for XD)

8 years ago

Warrior Vats, which are sentient humanoid cats with powers and tribes and shit. Stay away from that shut, you hear? We can't deal with this amount of shut, Brennons already made (maybe) friends with a (maybe) real person.

8 years ago

You called?

8 years ago

You're friends with Brennon? That's idiotic at best and my opinion of you has plummeted. I was referring to whoever he was talking to in Newbie Central.

8 years ago

I thought all his friends were just alts of himself. cheeky

8 years ago

Yeah it sounds like you could get away with an 'inspired by' if there aren't any specific details used from the show. The 'setting' in that case is modern Earth with demons and shit, a pretty common one.

Though demons or not, I'd advise you to put it in Modern Adventure, honestly. People browsing the Fantasy section are typically looking for elves.

8 years ago

It would really help if you were more specific. If your game contains elves, dwarves, drow, orcs or any other species that are not particular to a specific book/film/tv series, then it's not fan-fiction. If on the other hand you take a generalized creature (like a vampire) and gave it a very specific lore from a very specific work of fiction, (they have super powers and they sparkle) then that probably would be considered fanfiction.

8 years ago

That's pretty vague and doesn't really explain whether it's fanfiction or not. You'd have to be more specific. I'm guessing probably.  From the sound of it, your game would be set in a fictional world or location that was created by another writer. If a game takes place in Wonderland or Hogwarts or Middle-earth, it doesn't matter if it's your own story with all original characters, it's still fanfiction. 

8 years ago

BRIAR!!!  ^v^