Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Big or Small Choices?

7 years ago

As a reader do you enjoy it more if the writer lets you make small choices that don't really effect the story's major arcs along with big choices (small choices like, "Which do you steal from the elderly old grandma? The Green hat or the Purple Sock?" but no matter which you pick you still end up stealing something and the police chase after you?)

Or if the writer just gives you choices that change the ending (big choices like jump off the cliff or go home. If you jump off the cliff you fall screaming to your death and go splat on someone's poor sidewalk,  if you go home you sit by the fire in your house and enjoy a sweet cup of hot chocolate while snuggling with your favorite teddy bear)?

Or does the writer giving "small choices" count as being cheep and making the reader play their story opposed to giving several story lines following one character?? Just curious.

Big or Small Choices?

7 years ago

I would go for the first one but remember the big choices.

Big or Small Choices?

7 years ago

Actually I’ve seen more people complain about the big choices as “railroading” and people going on about how they like small choices since it feels like they’re affecting the story more and have more “customization.”

Personally I like big choices that completely change things. So instead of the police chasing you if you steal a green hat or purple socks, I’d rather see: Steal a green hat and you get away with your ill gotten loot with no consequences. Steal purple socks and you get caught and create the domino effect of turning your country into a police state.

Big or Small Choices?

7 years ago

I agree on the big choices. I feel a little cheated when I play through a second time and learn that I get the same two paragraph no matter which choice I picked. Or if I choose the opposite option and then am asked another question and just get roped into the option I didn't want.

(And it was a sock, as in you steal only one purple sock)

Big or Small Choices?

7 years ago

Well you can see why the country turned into a police state given that in my example two purple socks were stolen instead of one!

Big or Small Choices?

7 years ago

A mix of both.

Small choices sprinkled in here and there lets the reader feel like they're shaping the character's personality a little (Little things like a choice of a meal or clothes, or say you're breaking the news of a tragedy to someone, how blunt do you want to be?) and they can also act as a sort of padding to give the reader something to do if it's going to take a few pages to get to the next major branch point.

I like to track the small choices and refer back to them once in awhile, so the choice doesn't feel meaningless even if it doesn't effect the plot.

That said, you need some big choices and distinct paths in there somewhere or it doesn't feel much like a CYOA.

Big or Small Choices?

7 years ago

I don't really like choices where no matter what you choose, it'll be the same outcome. On the other hand, if the choice you made shows up later in your game..
For example, you chose to steal the green hat. While both options end up with you thrown in jail, a little later on; because you stole the green hat, something happens that wouldn't have happened if you'd stole the purple sock.

I don't like big choices that are "choose this or die", and I don't like completely obvious ones. "Jump off the cliff" obviously ends in a "oh. You died" and "go home" will continue the story. 

Giving small choices are pretty nice as well since you can use those to flesh out your characters more, or show more backstory for whatever world you're making. 

Sometimes, it's the small details in games that make me truly appreciate them, but both big choices and small choices are needed :)