Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Music Making Programs (Dev Time!)

7 years ago

Hi Hiiiiiiiii! So! I'm an animator on a dev team, and we're making a Han dynasty themed puzzle game using unity and stuff! We have some aaamazing programmers on our team, and dang, am I proud of em'. We're kinda getting to the part where we wanna add all the nice extra things, and we really oughta add some music in there. The only problemo is that that I'm not sure what program to use. I feel like it's sort of important, as we're a puzzle game and we're trying to set the mood. I want to blow those showcase judge's minds with our polish! So if y'all know any music programs that are pretty good, I'd appreciate it!

Also, Unity+Magica Voxel, man. It's so free, so beautiful.

7 years ago
I've heard good things about fruity loops, but sound design is my Achilles' heel, so I'm not sure if it'd be too helpful for ya. I can ask the game-dev community if you haven't already found a solution.

E: Suikoden 2 is a good thing to be addicted to. How long is the game, and I assume you're emulating it

7 years ago

Um, lets see... I heard that you can zoom through the main story line in about a good 35 hours if you're thaaat guy, but I'm the kind of person who really takes their time, so i'm ll the items and characters and i'm already on 50 hours. I'm sure you could get a good 60 hours if you read reaaally slowly. There are 108 characters to recruit and a bunch of of stuff to do.

I played Suikoden 1 first so that I could get Gremio (my beautiful boy!). The first game takes a day (and night) to finish. While it is connected cannonly to Suikoden 2, it's totally not necessary to play it to understand the second one.

7 years ago

Oh my gosh, I adoooore Suikoden 1 and 2. Glad there are fans of the game on here. I feel that although Suikoden 1 is rather outdated even for the time, if you play it first then you'll appreciate Suikoden 2 a lot more.

Never been a villain quite like Luca Blight, that guy was twisted.

7 years ago

Yeah, Luca wasn't my slice o' beef, if ya see what I mean.

I remember booting up 2 after playing 1 and I was like "OH MY GOD! The GRAPHICS! They are so smooth and beautiful, the music lovably epic! Suikoden has transformed before our very eyes, trANSCENDING ALL REASON!" And of course I gasped endlessly at everybody I loved dying (again).

Did you ever do that thing in Suikoden 1 where you go through Kwaba with Gremio? As a kid who wants to try out EVERYTHING (Ys taught me well), I clicked "Unforgivable!" three times. I felt so bad...!

7 years ago

Oh yes, that was beautiful. I was SO excited to see Viktor and Flik back, I love those guys so much. And Neclord!! Granted, I preferred him in S1 but it was so good to see him come back. All those returning characters, including some I missed. It wasn't until I did a full playthrough of Suikoden 1 that I realised that Apple and even Leon were available as optional recruits in the first game.

Oh, and I took full advantage of the gambler in that game. Infinite moneys!

I was very attached to Nanami, now everytime I replace Suikoden 2 I HAVE to get all the recruits. No exception. I still haven't gotten to see all of Clive's story though (as in the time limit you have to see all his events, I've never been able to rush through the game fast enough to see them all).

Lol, I clicked Unforgivable as well. And I never forgave Milich for what he did. 

7 years ago

Jowy, oh dearest Jowy. I'm actually surprised at how many times I freaked out during that game. I didn't want anyone to get hurt, not even the furries. I refused to accept my fate in the first play through until I recruited everybody and saved everybody and made EVERYTHING OKAY. Viktor + Flik are great guys, and after I cracked the gambler thing, I lived happily (and friendless) in a pool of sick cash.

Unfortunately. I haven't played any of the new ones. Have you? And if so, are they good?

7 years ago

Lol the furries. Ridley was one of my favourites.

Jowy's quite a complicated character and I like how it shows that the war wasn't just black and white (despite Evil Luca).

I did try Suikoden 3 for a bit. Unfortunately I had to use a PS2 emulator for it, and it lagged a lot to the point that I eventually had to stop playing it. (I don't know why, I have no trouble getting FFX to run.) But what I played, I did like, though I wouldn't say it's better than Suikoden 2. They basically split the game up into various chapters - you'd be controlling one set of characters at a time, and some of them were at odds with each other, and the story would branch out that way. (Remember Lucia from Suikoden 2, near the end of the game? She has a prominent role in Suikoden 3.)

Oh, and the battles took way longer as well (no more easy wins, as far as my level was concerned, and it took a lot longer to level up) and everything was in 3D. Yep, 3D. The battle system was definitely different and I don't know if that was a good thing. The first "boss" battle caused me a lot of frustration to the point that I had to keep reloading it again and again.

I haven't played Suikoden 4 but most people seem to hate it :p But I think it's the prequel to Suikoden or something? It may or may not have Ted in it. I can't remember.

This thread is about video games now

7 years ago

Hmm, I see. 3D, wowwww! And...Tim? I remember cussing him out a lot and giving him a ton of hate for no apparent reason. Like, cue Boston accent, "Get outta here, Timothy!" every 5 minutes...until he left, of course.

I've got tha fancy FFX + FFX2 combo pack for PS4, and boy, is that a thing. I must say, though, those PS2 graphics still look nice (minus the lip flaps, but maybe I just have a high tolerance for older games). I don't think I've even finished FFX, I just went on to FFX2 and flipped out because she's in a dress and she's a magical girl idol oh my Seymour. I know it wasn't that fantastic of a game, I'm just a sucker for the sudden change in tone and the magical transformation sequences.

(I just realized that you once mentioned that you liked Soul Blazer and I realize that we must have a shared taste in gaems)

7 years ago

Who's Tim? o:

I didn't get very far in FFX either, but that's mainly because I've mostly lost interest in Final Fantasy for a while. I used to be obsessed with the series though, but I can get into Dragon Quest easier these days. Less story but the game revolves more around the plot rather than the characters.

I adore Soul Blazer, along with the two games that came after it...every once in a while, I tell myself I'm going to replay the whole trilogy. Which I did, right up to the final boss in Terranigma upon which I burned out and exited, only to come back to it a month later and start alllll over again. And cry over Elle.

7 years ago

Dragon Quest is one of my favorites, although I don't play it much because i'm ashamed of the fact that I got so addicted to it that I spent real money to buy currency in the game.

7 years ago

Which Dragon Quest games have you played?

7 years ago

Ah, actually, nevermind, I was thinking of Dragon Fable. Damn, just goes to show how I never play it. Can't even get the name right >~<

7 years ago

Woopsy, I meant Ted. My mind photoshopped his name out.

Terranigma is very special to me, and I think I feel as fiery about it as apparently everyone else does about Chrono Trigger. I'd say the music is just baaarely second place to that of Chrono. Oh! One of my favorite manga artists, Hagio Moto, was the character designer for the Illusion Of Gaia. If you know Moto's stuff you can totally see it (in the nose, and in the choice of Will wearing a flowy toga).

I've been brushing up on the 3D FF stuff, as I've mostly just dwelled in the 6 and lower areas. So far, I'd say that 9 is one of my favorite 3D ones. It's so charming and the characters get along quite well. I'm surprised with how much I like 8, it's actually got me super curious, it's just that the battle-guardian-magic thing is a little problematic. 7 is pretty fun, but I guess I'm just not on the hype train (Sephiroth is borderline irrelevant) (The cross dressing scene is tasteless for me) (I miss Zack and his beautiful arms eyes thighs personality). 6 is my favorite, and 4 is remembered lovingly because of all the hours I threw in.

Also, The Secret Of Mana is beautiful and must be loved.

7 years ago

I remember the first time I played Terranigma and saw the protagonist. "Wait!...Isn't that Crono?..."

I think Soul Blazer is probably my favourite in the trilogy, you could just pick it up and play it. Oh, and I weep everytime Turbo's name is referenced in later games.

FF9 is definitely one of my favourites. I do have issues with 7 and 8, possibly because I played them a lot later on. I spent most of FF7 hating Cloud's personality, but for some reason the game felt interesting to me once I hit Level 35. Red XIII's village or something, I can't remember. I played to the end of the second CD and could not be bothered with Sephiroth, so I left it there. And Zack is great lol.

As for 8, I played a bit of it but it was very different to other FF games. Most of the characters annoyed me and monsters would  level up with you (looking at you, Dragon Warrior 7!) and then the unskippable GF animations...It was still fun (you got to fight a T-Rex), but I liked the music more than anything else. 4 and 6 I've played so often that the intro to each game is now sharply embedded in my brain, to the point that I don't really pick them up anymore. 

I played Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) for a ridiculous amount of time, the graphics were just so gorgeous and the music was beautiful. Yes, it was very grind-heavy but I loved playing it. Then there's Legend of Mana (on the PS1, next in the Mana series). I admit I didn't really understand this game, you just seemed to go out and grab quests from random people without any real storyline...but I really enjoyed the world it was set in and how you could unlock all the different locations. I do want to play more of it one day though.

7 years ago

Actually, I think i heard the reason that Crono and MC look similar is because they were originally gonna be the same game. However, they split it up eventually. That's why princess Nadia and Prim look similar as well.

I love just picking up Soul Blazer, and Terranigma is such a masterpiece, but I think the Illusion Of Gaia is the one I play the most, simply because if I play the other two I will binge for days.

FF8 has freaking amazing music. I remember being worried about playing the game because EVERYBODY HATES SQUALL, but I...Did not hate Squall. He was just too teenagery dick-ish to be full-on edgey dick-ish (That would be Cloud). I like Zell, because he likes Hot Dogs and has a face tatoo. I don't know if those are great reasons for liking somebody, but they are good enough for me. Everyone else was aaalright. Everyone, in the end, was aaalright. Laguna was a lot dorkier than I thought he would be (The Dissidia games make him sound like some super lame/smooth hot totty cool guy). If anybody tries to tell me again that Sephiroth is the best FF character I will take all of my college money, log into amazon, purchase the crappiest Monster Masamune FF7 replica I can find and spear a 7th grader with it. We get it, he has long silver hair and wears a lot of black. That's basically Shadow and Silver the Hedgehog, in an alternate universe where Shadow and Silver the Heghehog are the same depressed, angst ridden creatures of anime villainy. 

I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about it, but have you ever heard of The Secret Of Evermore? It's basically a not-quite-as-fantastic Secret Of Mana, but starring Marty McFly and Mutant Doge.

It was only released in America, and it features spicy chicken.

7 years ago

I did dislike Squall for a while because he didn't seem too different from Cloud, but after a while I got used to him. Zell just cracked me up all the time, lol. Especially his victory dance, it's hilarious. I liked Rinoa for some reason, but didn't really like the other characters. I liked Laguna and his pals though.

Tbh I used to see clips of Sephiroth before playing FF7 and thought he looked like the best video game villain ever. Then I tried playing the game, and he's...like...really superficial. You're not even really fighting him for the entire game anyway, which was even more of a bummer. I don't know if it's due to the game's shoddy translation or something, but his initial backstory just felt random. Cool and professional one moment, then suddenly it's "I WAS NOT BORN HUMAN" and suddenly he freaks out and loses it due to this one comment that young Cloud says. 

Kuja from FF9 is a better villain IMO, even though his design is suspiciously very similar indeed and he's still rather generic ni a few other areas. As for best villains overall? Kefka. 'Nuff said. I adore Ultros though.

Ooh, I did play a bit of Secret of Evermore some years ago. I only ever played up to the first boss, though. I think I initially picked it up at the same time as Secret of Mana, and ended up treating it as the same kind of game :p

7 years ago
Kefka and Ultros for the win. The opera scene in FF6 and the Ultros fights were marvels of modern engineering when they came out, and still hold up well.

7 years ago
I picked up FFX and 2 during their anniversary sale, and was pretty hyped. When I started playing it I realized the affordances are terrible, you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing or what's interactable, or where to go. Never got further than an hour or so into the story (met Rikku and dived into some ruins). Really disappointed, because I had very high hopes, will probably go back to it someday though. Playing Everything right now, it's quite the experience.

7 years ago

I...think FFX is a good game, but there are some really weird, bad things about it.  I mean, I just played the beginning to hang out more with "Sweet Papa Auron, mmm", and after that, I felt it was pretty linear? Like, it doesn't let you move around a lot. I didn't understand how you weren't able to interact with things. I've heard the game was easy, but the sphere/grid system has screwed me over more than a few times, leaving me under leveled (or under statted, in this case) in some awkward places, not a sphere in sight. I guess it's actually kinda like Mother 1: It's hard. Really, really hard, but you can defeat M1 at level freaking 20. The idea isn't to be leveled enough to withstand explosion/acid rain/punchies, the idea is to have the right skills. In FFX, I kept forgetting to grab spheres all the time and that meant that my grinding was basically pointless, as I didn't bother to extract anything. 

(There's also a couple things like camera issues. No, not when running or anything. Like in cut scenes? Like, the camera was focused on Rikku's underage boobs/butt for a while there, and I just glance over to my sister, who is also 15, and I think "That's pretty messed up, she is 15, get the camera away we have an over-complicated story to draw out")

Everything sounds incredible, by the by. Also probably strangely emotional. Not something you play, but like, experience.

7 years ago

Yeah, I saw the Sphere system (and even on basic) and my first thought was- this was designed by someone with too much time on their hands for the benefit of people with too much time on their hands. It was just outrageously complex for what felt like little payoff. Will probably get back to it after finishing Planescape Torment (on Act 6), Inside, Black Mesa, ENSLAVED, Event[0], Hacknet, Layers of Fear, Naruto Ninja Storm 3, and Project Cars.

Yeah, older games were really weird about portraying female characters, I'm happy that's no longer standard issue.

Everything is fantastic, and yes, more experience than game proper. It's also one of the things I'll be showing to friends and family a lot, as in just look at this, think of the ideas!

7 years ago

LOL Sweet Papa Auron.

I've played a bit of FFX, but I felt all I was doing was levelling up and gaining a large number of abilities. I don't think I'm playing it right, because my Tidus has very low health and virtually every other character is more powerful. Besides, it's been surprisingly linear so far. I've been hoping that at some point the game will stop trying to railroad you and actually let you go back to past locations on your own, or at least explore...maybe that's later.

I need to go back to Mother 1 one of these days, too. I made it as far to the factory with bottle rockets in it. Oh, boy. I did not realise that a map of that factory was required. Because I spent HOURS wandering in there, to the point that I actually ran out of health just trying to get past all these enemies that I couldn't run away from. I was so lost. I had to make a physical map on the second playrun, go back to my new party member, and...the game then informed me that I was supposed to go BACK into that huge factory and get some Bottle Rocket or something. I was so done after that. Hardcore to the extent of the older Dragon Quest games (which refused to let you see more than a single pixel in either direction in dungeons, unless you had a light source).

7 years ago

I'm seeing some good taste in games here.

7 years ago

Why don't these links have an underline I'm hovering over them?

E: Okay guys so now I'm the odd one out. ...like...