Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Memento

6 years ago

seen it? If so, is the presentation possible for a CYOA style story? I'm drawing a blank. The backwards presentation just can't work. 

Was sure I posted this before, but couldn't find it. Sorry if it's a duplicate. 

Memento

6 years ago
Given you'd be taking future actions first which would have been influenced by past actions you hadn't taken yet, I don't see how it'd be possible.

You could probably get around that by jumping back and forth though. Like have a flashback to a decision moments before that decision matters in the future.

Memento

6 years ago

"Given you'd be taking future actions first which would have been influenced by past actions you hadn't taken yet, I don't see how it'd be possible"

This is a case of effect before cause. I believe it could be done, but the author would have to keep track of which divergent ending the player chose to start with. Off the top of my head, using variables and a few finite state machines could potentially keep track and directly influence character/story states. However, a lot of railroading would probably need to happen. But I can see it as possible. Improbable anyone would take the time to do it, but possible.

Memento

6 years ago

Amazing film, I doubt it could be done CYOA style due to the reasons Killa said, although I thought the concept of Memento sounded shit before I saw it.

Memento

6 years ago
Possible, but you'd have to have lots of vagueness in the first half of the plot, which crystallizes into concrete certainties as the user makes choices which lock down a certain chain of events.

Memento

6 years ago

The problem with playing someone who can't remember things is that the player will still remember things. A way to go about it would be to change the past based on how the player acts in the game, but Silent Hill did that and it was both judgemental and pretentious. A better way would be to have a degree of separation between the player and the character, and give the player information that the character loses. The character will only have information for a day, and will only allow the player to make choices based on that info once the cycle restarts if they leave behind mementos for themselves.