Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Minor problem - Need help

6 years ago

This may sound like a bit of a foolish problem but I'm not sure what to make one of my story's genre be. CYS doesn't have exactly plentiful options of genres so I kind of find myself struggling with such a simple problem.

The basic bare bones of my storygame: You're a murderer and you decide who you kill, why and what happens. Such on and such on. It's set in modern time. If you need anymore details, just ask.

6 years ago

If it's based on an existing work, it goes in Fanfic first.

Otherwise modern sounds fine, unless you're doing some murder mystery thing, then it might fall into the puzzle category depending on how you do it.

6 years ago

Nah, I feel like fanfics probably don't work the best on this site. But I was leaning towards modern adventure. But I do plan for some, I guess you could call 'puzzle' parts in the story, as I want hiding the bodies and the setup to the murder and such on to be a very key part of the story.

6 years ago
No elves - not fantasy

No space travel - not sci fi

No history - not edutainment

No romance - not love and dating

No puzzle - not mystery or puzzle

Not particularly scary - not horror

Modern Adventure or Everything Else - congrats

6 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what if the setting is a world that's not earth (just earth-like), doesn't take place in space, and has the equivalence to medieval technology (sans elves or any obvious magic).  Is that still fantasy? :)

6 years ago
Probably not. Fantasy requires some element of the fantastic.

6 years ago
Imaginary world with swords. I'd still call it fantasy, for lack of better options.

We really need some sort of generic 'Adventure' category. Right now someone could write even something as simple as a Western and I'd really struggle with figuring out where it should go.

6 years ago

Honestly, we should really get rid of the school category and replace it with a better one.

I know we got tags and all, but I always preferred the category list at Infinite Story over the ones we got here.

Action/Adventure
Avant Garde
Drama
Fan Fiction
Fantasy
Horror/Thriller
Humor
Miscellaneous
Mystery/Crime
Romance
Science Fiction
Western/Historical

6 years ago
I do wonder, especially with the way the site was built, what it would take to change or add actual categories. For some reason, I bet it is way more complex than it should be.

6 years ago
JJJ cited the need for goofy pencil sketches in the background as a major obstacle there.

Also he talked about tags being made functional one day and replacing categories altogether, though I'm not holding my breath on that one.

School based really should just go.

6 years ago

I definitely like general 'romance' better than 'love and dating'.  Though 'Avant Garde' seems a bit more tricky.

I suppose it's moot though if we never get anyone back that can change such things.

6 years ago

Honestly, I didn't even notice that Avant Garde one until much later. That had to be one of the last categories to be added since even IS didn't originally have all those until we told Admin Sev to add them and I don't even remember anyone requesting that one.

Speaking of which he actually showed up recently, but unsurprisingly it doesn't look like he's changed anything on the site.

6 years ago

I don't know a lot about site permissions or coding, but is there any way he can give more permissions to someone more active so we can have changes if he isn't going to be around much?

6 years ago

No, not Alex, I was talking about Sev, the guy who runs Infinite Story.

As for Alex, he gave all the permission stuff to JJJ and even he has to do a whole confirmation on changes with him before anything actually gets changes since Alex has everything on his server. I doubt if anyone else here has the trust AND the knowledge for Alex to allow anyone else such access.

6 years ago

That's really a bit sad though.  I mean, the site is definitely getting well used.  But I suppose none of the issues are big enough that we NEED the changes.  They'd just be nice to have.

6 years ago

Fantasy doesn't have to have elves and sci-fi doesn't have to have space travel. In fact, some of the sci-fi doesn't.

6 years ago

I felt like making that point myself.

6 years ago
Because the answer was clearly meant to illustrate a comprehensive categorization and wasn't in the least bit inspired by halfhearted mockery.

6 years ago
Don't fucking halfheart your mockery you lazy piece of shit

6 years ago
Sounds like Modern but honestly, as long as it's not hilariously misplaced in like fantasy or whatever, it doesn't really matter. Some games are difficult to categorize.

6 years ago

Okai dokes, modern it is, then. Thanks, you three!