Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

NanoFago

4 years ago

Well since this place is now infamous for its omnidirectional vitriol might as well spread the love, after all CoG can't be our only victim.

So there are a bunch of people on the nano site bitching about the layout and feeling that it's "demotivational." Naturally CYStian member Mizal called one of them out on this and this is how it went so far.

And apparently this forum is full of triggered faggots, so I'm guessing more cringy posts of theirs will be posted later if they're funny enough. Stay tuned!

NanoFago

4 years ago
Lol, I can't believe you made this a thread.

Well, nevermind, I guess I can easily believe it.

End, with the temporary peace with CoG I can see your hate diet has been severely lacking in essential hate-vitamins and hate-minerals, so I'll do my best to procure more materials. It shouldn't be difficult, just briefly browsing at work this morning I encountered things I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at. I think I really will need this thread, I'm going to be adopting a look but don't touch attitude in order to not get banned, so I'll need a place to vent in order to stick to that.

Although I did briefly bond with someone over how awesome it is to not have any romance in a story, so they're not all bad.

My brief interactions in that thread have already been motivational to me. I'm determined to crank out 50k in swift and chadlike manner just so I can get clear of these people, I'll lose my shit the next time I encounter someone so defeated.

NanoFago

4 years ago
Besides accessibility for the blind, sight impaired, and those with other additional needs, like those with dyslexia, static vision, visual stress, sensory processing disorders of any kind, etc., for those of us who are Autistic, who suffer with mental health problems, or who generally struggle to cope with most things in life, change being a huge one for some people to the point of it being crippling, this site changing from one we all know and love, and that’s worked for us for so long, to something big and broken and not set up for those of us who cannot cope or use the same thing ‘everyone else’ can, it’s a huge shock to the system, which can be extremely overwhelming, and it can cause meltdowns and trigger panic attacks, to name but a few, especially when it’s an on-going thing where it doesn’t work, where it’s not easy to access or lacks accessabilty in general. Basically, to a lot of people, the site is just not useable, it’s impossible to cope with, and it’s sucking the life and soul out of what NaNo is supposed to be. It’s ruining it for us. It’s destroying the one thing we have every year to look forward to. And to some it’s out-and-out impossible to use all around. I’ve had the worst three days to the start of NaNo than I’ve ever had, the stress and anxiety alone, the getting behind where I would be doing much better without having to deal with and worry about dealing with and not coping with the site. It’s exhausting, it’s soul-destroying, it’s a huge disappointment, it’s insulting and offensive, it’s a nightmare, it’s excluding and isolating, and it’s depressing. I managed to get my mental health to a slightly better place just before NaNo, and all of this, dealing with this, not coping with this, it’s set me back, triggered my depression, and because of it I’m worrying now about whether I’ll be able to complete NaNo, and worrying about it makes things even worse, triggering all areas of my anxiety. Just. One, huge, big, broken mess of a site, which is a shame, because I think they’re kind of killing off their own purpose for a lot of people, and it can only go down from there.
That's not even the full post, more like a third of it. It's all just more complaining in that vein, though. Somehow I don't think writing is a hobby this person should be attempting at all. They will literally kill themselves if their work ever got the slightest bit of feedback. They also start out by moaning about screen reader software being expensive, which is blatantly false. @Mayana can attest to the fact it's fucking free. (I would be interested if she could make an account there and weigh in on the accessibility claim though.)

NanoFago

4 years ago
Can’t do anything about the rest, but you should be aware NVDA is completely free so I hope that helps with the one issue. I had thought that was the standard program that most people in need of screen readers used, actually. I’d like to alter my earlier claim that the site ‘seemed just fine to me’ as a newbie though to ‘seems just fine as long as I’m using a computer’. On mobile it’s an utter mess and even after receiving advice here I still couldn’t figure out how to do basic things like update my word count. Not a huge deal though as I’m only going to be writing while at the computer anyhow. But since I’m seeing so many people here having actual emotional distress and breakdowns and the like over the site layout, can I recommend just, like, not using the site? You can write anywhere and track your word count without it, you don’t need this site for that. It’s all a personal challenge anyway and added to that there are writing groups and whole communities that do this unofficially every year without using the site at all. It’s not getting changed this year, that’s pretty obvious, so the options are either adapt or go elsewhere. like with most things in life. Maybe they’ll change it back next year after all the ruckus this caused, but man, it’s quite a thing for people who just do website design and organize a writing event to be expected to carry the weight of all these people’s mental well being on their shoulders. I’m pretty sure that’s WAY outside their field of expertise, as a matter of fact. I'm sure this will also get flagged, because suggesting something like "maybe just write on your own, person who just wrote a 1400 word post complaining about not being able to use the site on the site you are currently using" is hate speech or ableism or something I'm sure. e: WOW, according to his profile, he's claiming to have written 175,000 words in four days! On this demoralizing and stressful site he's physically prevented from using. What an inspiration to us all. Anyway this isn't even the same guy from the screenshots in the OP. The forum is full of people insisting they're having complete mental breakdowns because the site layout was changed and that the people running it should fix it immediately, because I guess owning a website makes you responsible for the emotions of everyone using it, now.

NanoFago

4 years ago

Fucking hell, makes it sound like they're all rape survivors being forced to watch movies with sexual assault in them.

It's a fucking site layout, not hearing a gun go off and having a PTSD episode due to serving a tour in the Middle East where you saw your buddy's face blown off right beside you.

This is a good reminder that our way of life is superior and has created a very strong race that weeds out such weaknesses.

Glory to CYStia.

NanoFago

4 years ago
GLORY TO CYSTIA! (CYStian flag courtesy of Sentinel)

NanoFago

4 years ago
Wow just wow. I'm picturing this person as a basement dweller who fills up gallon jugs with pee that their mother then dumps in the upstairs toilet so they don't have to risk looking out a window on the main floor and witnessing the horrors of the outside world. Seriously though. I have severe audio and visual dyslexia. It's not even that hard to cope with so I'm a little confused why that got lumped in there. I tend to just read paragraphs and sentences multiple times instead of having a complete mental break down whenever I realize a sentence makes no sense because I switched a word or accidentally skipped reading the previous sentence. Because if I did the mental break down thing that would be fucking exhausting and happen every other minute of the day. I'm not even sure what a website could do to prevent me from doing that while reading anyway. There is that special font, but it gives me a headache for some reason. But, I'm a mostly sane individual so I guess it is unfair to compare such poor mentally crippled basement dwellers to my own superior coping abilities. Anyway, what is it about change that freaks out people like this so bad? I'm not complaining of course because they're a never ending source of entertainment. But still, that a change in a site they only use once a year can turn them into weeping gollums hiding in a swampy basement and screeching for The Precious to return them exactly as it was before. All so they can stroke it lovingly for a single month then shun it until next year like it's their whore or something. It's just plain flabberghasting really.

NanoFago

4 years ago
Indeed the most "demoralizing" thing about the NaNo site isn't 'oh no, sucks now, guess I'll write and store my word count elsewhere', but all these quivering broke-brained amoebas leaving their moist trails of slime and tears all over every surface when other people are just trying to chat about their stories.

I'm trying to make the most of things and make getting the fuck clear of them all my motivation for writing. Although the NaNo site does seem useless aside as a source of this kind of entertainment since the public word count tracker seems broken. If I could post daily writing exerpts more visibly that would be one thing, but I might as well just make a thread here.

Part of the attraction of using another site was the public accountability there though. Here I can just order you all to forget you mistakenly thought I ever said I'd write 50k in a month and most of you will comply. (If you know what's good for you...)

NanoFago

4 years ago
Yes, I too hate touching surfaces that I expect to be dry and clean but instead are covered in tard slime. I'm just making my NaNo goal adding 50k words to my story game I'm currently working on. I might eventually post in Writing Workshop about my success or potential failure to achieve the goal when it's all said and done, but I don't think I'll venture into this land of depressive autist tantrums. I am good at following orders, and would forget anything you told me to, it's true.

NanoFago

4 years ago
To be fair, most institutions and schools for VI people only promote Jaws, which's indeed fucking expensive. As much as 900 EUR, I think. Although they did just recently add a yearly plan as well, but that seems like it'd be much more expensive in the long run.

But it's true, NVDA is completely free. It's also open source, regularly updated, has many add-ons, can be installed on a USB, etc. Now the question is, do I love it enough to go argue with a bunch of random faggots about it? I think I'd rather just watch these monkeys at the zoo watch shit at each other from a safe distance.

NanoFago

4 years ago

It looks like all the complaining threads have been merged into a "venting" thread "Can I shriek and throw things for just a minute?" Which sounds like an apt description.

NanoFago

4 years ago
As an aside to the main action, I noticed a pretty chill seeming Welsh guy getting dogpiled and declared a racist because he made some offhand remark about curry giving him the shits.

NanoFago

4 years ago
That community is truly lost.

NanoFago

4 years ago
I think the biggest back-breaker is when you have an alarm set for 6:01 a.m. and wake up - it's still dark out - thinking you have several more hours of potential sleep, only to look at the clock and see it's 6:00 a.m.