Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

8 planets in the Solar System!

17 years ago
i heard [three days ago] that NASA and other space programs have finalized their debate: PLUTO IS NOT A PLANET ANY MORE!!!!!! Yup! Now there are only 8 planets! So now we know of another segment of the SS. Beyond the kuiper belts, I think there are other planets. Or more kuipers.

17 years ago
It is so sad. I've grown very fond of pluto. I knew that it wasn't a true planet, but I went to school and was taught that pluto was a planet in our solar system. What will they teach our children? And even worse, I have several books on planets. Will all the stuff about the last planet just poof away? Will the country host a bookburn that incinerates everything about it?

17 years ago
Neptune is better anyway

17 years ago
we should invite pluto to orbit earth, hahaha

17 years ago

They are probably gonna rewrite them to say that Pluto was a planet but nows it's a drawf planet...

Pluto isn't a planet in our solarsystem, because it crosses paths with Neptune's orbit twice.  That's what I've been told.

17 years ago
Well, you know how some ideas from textbooks that are old makes you say "That didn't happen! Oh wait, it's an OLD textbook."? That's how our children will act when they read that Pluto's the ninth planet. And Pluto's not a dwarf planet. It's a chunk of ice and rock called a kuiper (pronounced KYE-pur).

17 years ago
LOL!

17 years ago
Here's what one of the people from the Onion had to say:

"On the bright side, that's five fewer minutes I have to spend helping my son on his solar-system mobile."

17 years ago

AHHAHAHAH HERES WHAT I SAY

"WHO CARES? LIKE ANY OF YOU HAVE RELATIVES LIVING THERE!"

17 years ago
How do you know? LOL

17 years ago
Well besides me.

17 years ago
Well, there is a theory that Mars was once habited, and the sentient beings, the Pre-Humans, became so advanced, they could evactuate Mars as it died. They came to the young but habitable planet of Earth. Before Earth's life came out of the water, the Pre-Humans bio-engineered primative lizards and bugs and such. These creatures later became the magnificant dinosaurs! I don't know how, but the Pre-Humans devolved into Homo Hablas, then evolved from there.

This is actually kind of my theory, but the only problem is how the Pre-Humans became Homo Hablas. Needs work, but the rest is believable. As far as theories go. Except, if they were so advanced, they could terraform Mars back into healthiness, because we are beginning to aeroform (change the air to fit our needs) and I'd estimate in 10 or so years, we'll be initially terraforming (changing the terrain to fit our needs) to planet.
Dang. In 20 or 30 years, our kids could be living on Mars!

17 years ago

I heard about this a while ago too. I remember how I learnt the names of the planets.

My Very Earthly Mother Just Sat Under the North Pole.

Now what? Just sit under the Nail? The Nickel? The Noose?

My Solar System as I know it is falling apart.... figuratively....

17 years ago
I heard a scientist on the news say "My Very Earthly Mother ... <something else>... Nachos". I wish I could remember how mexican food got into it, but it certainly got rid of needing a P on the end :)

17 years ago

PFFT THATS LUDICROUS, ahhahahahahahhahahahahahhAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH.

30 years? Bullcreap.  EVEN IF WE GOT TERRAFORMIGN SO QUUICKLY, which is next to impossible, terraforming is not instant so we have to fly our machines over there and then we have to have a massive debate o nwhether it will work.. then when it does work we have to gather the people who are dumb enough to go.  Then we make our mistake and everyone dies and its five years befiore we do it again and then they get onto the planet (after spending a year flying out there) and then the chances it will be our children are very small.

17 years ago
Now that makes sense. Well not really. Is there even a maternity ward on a spaceship? And how do doctors deliver babies at zero gravity?

17 years ago
Yeah, 30 years is kinda early. I say......a little over 50 years, 70 tops. Hey I'm a futurist. I make incorrect predictions.

17 years ago
Sounds a bit pessimistic, but with NASA blowing up spaceships and teachers throughout the years, entirely plausible. I'd like to add that I'm betting that the Earth, in its wounded state from millenia of abuse, will rise up and kill everyone inhabiting it before they can escape. It's kind of started, with hurricanes, typhoons, and earthquakes killing tens to hundreds of thousands each time over the last century, but wait until it gets really pissed.

17 years ago
This sounds familiar. Did Asimov pioneer this theory? Or something in one of Bradbury's stories taken from it? I can't remember.

17 years ago
It's not nature who's killing us, it's us humans. And we haven't been poluting the Earth for milenia. Just a couple centuries. The hole in the ozone will be healed in a few centuries when humans use solar panels, geothermic, wind, and hydroelectric energy more.
Our Earth won't end for quite some time.

17 years ago

Yes Anubis, humans our the killers of the humans. But if you really think that the Earth won't end for quite some time, I dunno. I know this is biast, being un-American and all, but America will probably just nuke the crap out of the rest of the world little by little, with help from those other countries that can't cop criticism and will nuke Australia if a 15 year old Aussie says something bad about them. (COFF! COMMIES! COFF!)

Yes my friends, or lack thereof, mankind is ####ed.

17 years ago
America is not retarded, George Bush is. And that's not being biased, that's pessamism. Modern Communism is more  facist than true Communism. True Communism is the ultimate society. No, I'm not the anti-christ, but Communism--TRUE Communism--is where everyone is equal and shares everything. Facism is where people are divided into strict castes. In the modern "Communism", the government--the highest caste--rules with a titanium fist. The only thing people focus on is profit and economic grown. True Communism is where people help themselves as well as help others.
Although that may not be totally accurate, I'm trying to say that modern Communism is Facism. Well, more than Communism.  Democracy is great, but the future society is Communism. In Star Trek, the Federation is Communist.
Anyway, the human civilization will NOT end for, say, a couple thousand years or so. We won't destroy ourselves with war, only criple ourselves. Unless an Ice Age happens soon (which it will happen, but not soon soon, like mabe a few centuries or something), our species is doing rather well. Although we have some internal problems, and there's a fierce war in the Middle East, it will be repaired in time. That's how humans are. We bounce back. Like the Egyptians after they were taken over by the Hiksos. The Hiksos used strange technology--chariots and bows--to defeat the Egyptians, but the Egyptians copied this idea quickly, and in a matter of years drove out the Hiksos.

17 years ago

The Egyptians were run by the Pharoahs, who were slave ruling d##kheads. Stop being so positive and look at the worst possible situation for once. No offence.

By the way, the Egyptians thought the sun was rolled in the sky by a beetle that ate crap, and that a dude with a dog's head was king of the underworld, and a bunch of other stupid things. I say that not as the maker of a doco about Moses, but as an online pessimist with possible split personalities or something like that.

Bow chikee bow wow!

17 years ago
That's just mean, "No Offence". And every civilization had slaves, including Rome. And Pharaohs weren't idiots. Take for instance Hatshepsut. She was a woman, but was one of the finest Pharaohs and best woman ruler of her time and for many civilizations later.
And just because the Egyptians worshipped Scarabs doesn't make them retarded. Ra was depicted as a scarab rolling the sun into the sky. He was also depicted as the sun, and at dawn he was a baby, at midday he was an adult, and at dusk he was an old man. When it was night he was in the Duat (land of the dead) running from Apep, a snake who was trying to kill him, and was trying to get out.
And Anubis had a jackal's head and was the god of judgement. Osiris ruled the dead.

Miccy, you need to shut up about me being too happy. This attitidue gets people places in life. And just because ancient cultures had different ideas and worshipped dieties, they weren't pathetic and stupid.

17 years ago

Oh yah, the god of judgement. How'd I forget that! I actually really like Egyptian mythology (you seem a bit more of an expert though, I take my, err, big pharoah hat thingy off to you), don't get me wrong. Maybe if you could see the Moses doco, you'd get what I am trying to get across.

Hey, I'm a Christian, and I'm not saying all of our mythology is good either. I mean, some chick getting mad from a dude's ribs? And the Buddhists? 'The King asked the elephant to stand on no legs. It did, and flew away, and ruled a third of India, and in a later life became Siddharta Gottama (is that spelt right?).

Oh yeah, religion is weird. I'd say no offence right now, but...

never mind. Sorry if I offended you. No need to be so upset, just stating my view. Some Christians would get ticked at the very mention of multiple Gods you know.

If bow chikee bow wow doesn't spell it out for you, what will?

17 years ago
This is weird; we went from Pluto to ancient Human history. LOL

17 years ago
Yeah, but you started it. No wait, that was me. Oops.

17 years ago
miccy wins. BASTARD BUSH

17 years ago

Bush Haters MUST play DZD 3. It's like the I Hate Bush initiation ritual.

BURNING BUSH, THE AMERICAN DREAM.

17 years ago

THE AMERICAN DREAM?

BAQWHHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHHAWHAW

THE WHOLE WORLDS DREAM.