Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hey

4 years ago

Hello! After a long time lurking I decided to make an account. If anyone has some story recommendations or tips on writing let me know. I hope to write great stories and get along with everyone

Hey

4 years ago
Welcome! Can't really go wrong with the featured stories on the main story list. "Anything by Endmaster" is the usual recommendation, but if you have a genre preference maybe we can narrow that down. See this article here for a list of longer games from the last couple years on a variety of subjects. These all have a low number of ratings due to taking a little while to get through, and I know the authors would appreciate the attention. For writing, you can go to the Writing Workshop if you have any specific questions, but just for general advice, once you have your setting and characters decided on, do a bit of plannig on the plot and most importantly keep it small. Attempting some gigantic epic right out of the gate is the number one cause of burnout for newbies. Everyone always massively underestimates how much work goes into any kind of choice based story.

Hey

4 years ago

Welcome to CYS.
I would recommend reading a lot of the stories on here, especially those highly rated, to get an idea of what the expectations are before you rush to publish anything. Nobody's holding a gun to you and maing you publish.

If you are into fantasy, I would recommend reading Necromancer, Death Song, and Eternal in that order.
There are also a number of good stories in the New Stories section from the recent Succubi contest.

Really, anything by EndMaster is worth a read. Paradise Violated and TRASH are two that I consider pretty underrated.

Some other good stories are Ducky Park, Marooned on Giri Minor, Dusty Fist, and The new Price of Freedom.