Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Is Lord of the Rings boring?

8 years ago

I haven't read the books yet, but many people have told me that the series is too boring to get through. What are your thoughts on the series?

8 years ago
No. They are not boring. At all. In any way.

8 years ago

No.

8 years ago

>_> Care to elaborate?

8 years ago

"No, I don't think it's boring"? xD ... In all seriousness, I assume the people who feel that way are the same people who find Tolkien long-winded and too detailed in general, but I don't. If I'm going to read about a new world with new races and cultures, I appreciate learning about them. I realize that not everyone is ready to tuck into a three-part story of that length, which is one of the reasons The Hobbit was so popular. It was short and sweet. (Just don't tell Hollywood that. >_>')

I did enjoy The Hobbit a lot as a kid, but no, the trilogy was not boring, just long. It also has a different tone than The Hobbit, but ... my memory's a little hazy on how to describe it.

8 years ago

Well, kinda. I guess that's just because I read the Hobbit first and liked it much better, and LOTR just feels way different.

8 years ago

First time I read Lotr, way back when I was like, 7, I skipped all the Aragorn stuff in books 2&3.

Tolkien is not that good at dialogue or characters. Very good at world building.

8 years ago

If you're trying to figure out whether or not you should read them, coins, because you dunno if you'll like them, you should just go ahead and read them. Everyone's different, we all have opinions, it's generally better to form your own. 

8 years ago

If you found climbing mountains boring.

8 years ago

It's a woryhwhile read, even if Tolkien's style tends to be more dry, imo. The Hobbit is fantastic though.

8 years ago

I'll be honest and say I've never actually finished (gonna get around to it at some point) the whole series, but I loved the Hobbit and liked the Fellowship. They're classic and pretty much what every modern fantasy epic or Roleplaying system is based on so they're definitely worth reading. Personally I like Sci-Fi more than fantasy anyway so they've never been my speed anyway, but that's really just an excuse haha. When I have time to read I spend it on books I'm interested in, so if you're into fantasy then definitely read them.

8 years ago

It depends what you find boring, to some people books like "50 years of stamp collecting" can be roller-coaster reads of unadulterated excitement, pure 100% literary heroin :) The level of detail in the LOTR books is amazing but it can put people off, personally I skipped over most of the songs and poems because I'm not a big fan of those things but I'd definitely recommend that you try reading the series and seeing if you like them or not. The Hobbit is a bit more funny, lighter in tone and not as detailed if you want a taster of what the main books are like.

8 years ago

No there fun to read however token uses old English alot.

8 years ago

"Boring" is pretty subjective. I am sure there are people who think the series is boring. I am sure there are people who think books are boring. There are people who find puzzles boring and there are people who find Facebook boring and there are people that find boxing boring. Nobody can tell you what you might find boring.

What I can tell you:

It is a VAST and extremely detail-oriented series. Tolkien achieved one of the most thorough and exhaustive fantasy universes ever; the books are classics. Does that mean spending quite a bit of time reading details about histories and characters and places and nations and cities and events and cultures (etc. etc.) that have little or no relation to the immediate plot? Yes. Is that boring? For some. For some it is delightful.

My personal experience: no, they were far from boring. You know what I did think was boring? The Silmarillion. It was brutal, and even for a strong (at the time) high school reader, it was difficult to follow.

Recommendation: Read The Hobbit first; it is less demanding. If you find The Hobbit difficult to get through, don't bother reading the trilogy. Watch the movies again instead. They are phenomenal, and you will not have to deal with the struggle trilogy-readers face of constantly telling your weary friends "But they didn't include _____ !"

Cheers

8 years ago

Depends on what you like. The story is really great and in depth, but I'll admit that it can become dull at times. Would still recommend as it is a great novel.

8 years ago

Look at the date of the original post. This is two months old.

The fuck, dude?

8 years ago

Whoops...didn't notice that. Still, doesn't really matter.

8 years ago

I read The Hobbit and loved it. I read halfway through The Fellowship and stopped. Granted, I was seven, and I never had the time to pick it up again since. I would definitely recommend the Hobbit. Seeing as I never finished LOTR, I can only say that the beginning was great. 

8 years ago

There are some parts that took me a while to finish due to it being boring. The Council of Elrond was about forty pages long, and it was kind of boring. However, the interesting parts are really good and make it all worthwhile.

8 years ago

look two posts above you at what Chris said. A month ago.

8 years ago

Oops.