Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Decent Non-Fiction

4 years ago

I've decided. I know now. I've had a difficult time reading lately, and I think it's because I need some non-fiction. I've only been reading made up stories for the longest time, but knowing something actually happened in real life is kinda super awesome.

The last non-fiction thing I'd finished were The Life Of Vincent van Gogh by Lawrence and Elisabeth Hanson and then some kind of something else about Alan Turing. Both brought me to tears. I mean, Vincent was ALL kinds of messed up, but Turing-- He never hurt anybody. He really just wanted to live a good life like anyone else.

I'd like some recommendations, especially on biographies. Anything is fine in the end. I just want to learn something and be entertained. 

Decent Non-Fiction

4 years ago
I have a thing for old journals. South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition The Worst Journey in the World Both free, (you can get the Kindle app without having an actual Kindle) and reading of Arctic adventures will help you branch out from your sparkly little gay boys and appreciate manly men doing manly things. There's a ton of nice Civil War journals out there too.

Decent Non-Fiction

4 years ago

I liked these two biographies from the same author:

Elizabeth I

Bonnie Prince Charley

I don't know if they are still in print, but I bet you can get them pretty easily from your library.

Also, if you are at all interested in AI, neuroscience, philosophy, math, faith, and computer science, this book is astounding and talks about all of them together in a fascinating way.

I am a Strange Loop

Decent Non-Fiction

4 years ago

"I am a Strange Loop" sounds intriguing! It has a very generous look inside, as well, so I'm perusing that. This would be a good one to add to the library.