Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

Probably the wrong place to post this but... when is the spellcheck feature on this site going to be fixed? Someone told me I can just download Grammerly on my home computer, but I don't have internet access on my home computer. Mostly, I just use college library computers and occassionally my friend's laptop when I'm at his house watching his mother. 

Spellcheck

4 years ago
Is this a serious question? I'm not sure any application I use on any computers or devices that I have do NOT have spellcheck included. The browser I'm using right now does spell-checking on its own. Usually I write in Word documents, and that spell checks as well. Does the college library computer have a browser that doesn't have spell-check? I'm not sure I knew that such a browser existed today, honestly.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

Just type in any word program like Microsoft word or Abiword or Open Office. Or copy/paste it into a word doc to double check. (Really though, it's better to write in a word doc. Half the times I got lazy and typed in the editor last story I'd end up losing text and having to rewrite it. Mostly from accidentally forgetting to save before adding a link, or shuffling between tabs and somehow saving an older version. So it's better to type it outside first, anyway, as the risk of losing it is less and you get a backup out of it.)

Spellcheck

4 years ago
If you're not using the rich text editor then your browser should be doing spellcheck for you (both chrome and firefox do it at least).

If you're using the rich text editor I'm pretty sure it does have spell built it. What part of it is working wrong?

Spellcheck

4 years ago

I use Firefox and the advanced editor. I've never seen the spellcheck squiggle pop up. I tried writing various jibberish and misspelled words, but there was no spellcheck.

https://prnt.sc/qnxwz7

Spellcheck

4 years ago
Advanced editor is a separate thing from the rich text editor. Rich text editor = text box where you type words has options at the top. You can use the advanced editor but also not use the rich text editor.

The rich text editor is SUPPOSED to have spellcheck, but I think it's got some sort of delay to it, so most people don't notice.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

Okay, thanks for the heads up.

Spellcheck

4 years ago
Most people write their stories somewhere else and copy paste them onto the site when they're done from what I've heard.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

That's not convenient for me because I don't have internet access on my home computer. I can write the text out and then save it on a portable drive, but then I have to go to the library to upload it. Very time-consuming.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

I’m pretty sure the RTE’s spellcheck just straight up doesn’t work. It doesn’t really bother me though.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

I found it. It's in a drop-down. There's a menu at the top with the button you press to get to it. 

Spellcheck

4 years ago

I'm not sure if I'm using rich text editor. Normally, it's underlined misspelled words in red. Now it's not doing anything. 

Spellcheck

4 years ago
If you click a button on the screen to make things italic, you are using the RTE

Spellcheck

4 years ago

Okay, thanks.

Spellcheck

4 years ago
The RTE is broken.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

You are using the RTE, and it's doing that to your posts. You can recognize it by the fact it's a hideous blinding white box surrounded by ugly cluttered buttons that always lags a moment before popping into existence any time you try to do anything. You can uncheck it in your profile, but you'll have to log out and then in again before it changes.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

Okay, thanks, mizal. Um, where in my profile would I find that option? I seem to be at a loss.

Spellcheck

4 years ago
Okay, I think I figured it out, mizal. Will this bring back spellcheck?

Spellcheck

4 years ago

Okay, the spellcheck's working. Thanks, mizal. I appreciate all you do for me. The technical aspects of this site sometimes make me feel like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer: "You're world frightens and confuses me!"

Spellcheck

4 years ago

Okay, now the spellcheck's not working. I'm putting my rich text editor back on because things are just more complicated without it. I think the site's been reformatted and that's why my spellcheck's not working.

Spellcheck

4 years ago

I'll just copy and paste my stuff to spellcheck.net. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.