Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Added a cyberpunk tag

3 years ago

So we have that now.

People can list all the cyberpunk stories we currently have here and it'll be added eventually.

Added a cyberpunk tag

3 years ago
Added the TechNOIR and CYBERMONKEY which were the two obvious ones.

Added a cyberpunk tag

3 years ago

So are there any other Cyberpunk stories or was that it and we're just waiting for people to write the next Cyber Epic?

Added a cyberpunk tag

3 years ago

Added a cyberpunk tag

3 years ago

Cool. Thanks.

Added a cyberpunk tag

3 years ago
"and we're just waiting for people to write the next Cyber Epic?"

I'll get right on it!

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Do we want an official cyberpunk contest?

The foreign language thing ain't exactly tying up most of the community.

Of course there's all those other categories that need filling too...

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

Fuck yeah we do 

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
And you're just the guy to host it!

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Cyberpunk contest would be fun.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

Smart! The tag warrants some filling. I only saw 3 entries so far. It's a fun and dynamic genre.

In the future we could maybe look into some storygame categories. Looking into some older threads, I had heard that we don't have much family friendly content, so it might be handy to do a future event perhaps. (Furthermore, the historical section also maybe needs some filling)

I'm also bored, so I did some counting. Out of all tags, I spotted some kind of dumb ones, that aren't that descriptive and kind of vague. (Mainly the spiritual and psychological tag. Can someone tell me what "spiritual" means, it sounds to me like esoteric yoga class drabble.)

So I compiled all the tags that have 20 or less entries. 

Western(13) - war(20) - villain protagonist (11) - thriller(9) - supernatural (9) - superhero (7) - sports (2) - grimdark (18) - foreign language (9) - edgelord (18) - family friendly (10) - cyberpunk (3) - anti-hero (18) - biblical (6) - LGBT (10)

Since the edgelord contest was pretty recent, I think that all the anti-hero and edgy tags can wait a little more. So my suggestion is to maybe look into the tags war, superhero, sports and western. The reason is mainly that I find them to be broad enough to allow people to play with these kind of concepts while also being a thing that is already well-defined in media and the general public. They have all room to grow and I myself would like to see more works with a western flavour. 

I swear that my secret intention is not to flood the site with zombie cowboys in space though it would be pretty cool.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Just got rid of Sports, no idea why we had that one.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

Spirituality doesn't make the most sense for most people who don't believe in/have a concept of souls, but even then, it has a very broad usage. I would say that in the most general sense, something that is spiritual tends to be concerned with the places where philosophy intersects with emotion and feeling. This can be esoteric yoga class babble, but it can also be Platonism, where a lot of esoteric yoga class babble comes from, or John Muir's writings, which don't say too much literally, but his meaning and purpose can be felt given the things he's detailing and the time in which he wrote them. But I even hear a lot of Nietzche's books described as spiritual by people who're really into them.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Really it's just spirituality because the requested "Religious" was too specific. We're not going to get too many games about Calvinism, while Spirituality is more of a blanket term that can be personal to a character and perfectly at home in fantasy and sci fi settings too.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
So it seems like there's a good amount of interest in a cyberpunk contest, we should definitely go ahead with this.

Just need someone to volunteer to actually host and judge it, I'm out unfortunately as I'm not going to be able to reliably read a large number of entries in a timely manner. And every time I do one of these it seems to invite the universe to make things go crazy at work the week after the deadline, and I think right now that would actually kill me.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

Hey Mizal, 

I would actually like to host and judge this event if that's possible, but I haven't done anything this before. (I'm still pretty new compared to some old-timers, so I get it if you all are a little bit reprehensive about it. No hard feelings.) I had taken a look how previous events were handled, but I would like to get some pointers. So if someone can give me the quick do's and don'ts, it would be very nice!

- Darius 

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
I mentioned this to Malk and Ends who seemed like the only ones who would care, and they didn't seem to care. Or maybe they didn't notice.

Either way, I'm fine with this, although maybe we could find two more people so we'd have a panel of judges in case someone got busy around the deadline. (I volunteer @enterpride as one of them! ^_^)

There really isn't a lot to it, you just have to be able to commit to reading and giving feedback on an unknown number of stories of unknown length at the date set. And then making what, for you, could be a life endangering judgement of their objective quality.

Admins would still have to handle any point transfers of course.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Can't get roped into writing an entry if you'll be the one judging them.

Depending on when it's on, I'll probably find the time to do it.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

Ah great! Glad to see that Endmaster and Malk have so much trust in me. Yeah,  a panel of judges, I was just thinking about that. It could be nice to have a extra set of eyes.

@enterpride, I'll send you a DM this day or tomorrow some of my contact info and google drive document (where you can dump any feedback about the games)

As for writing the announcement and keeping track who is enlisted, I'll keep track of that. 

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
How does cyberpunk work? Can it have fantasy races?

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

They had a whole rpg based around fantasy races and cyberpunk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
And thus CYBERMERMAID was born.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
*CYBERMAID

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Sometimes just cutting a few letters can make a big improvement.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Well no, now it's a manga about an eight year old with giant honkers in a tiny French maid uniform, and "hilarious" mishaps keep occurring which conveniently flash upskirt shots at the reader, only it's okay because she's a robot programmed to think she's 18.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
I suppose that the inverse can also be true.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

I can run this contest if no other admin is willing / able to. Having random Dutchmen run it doesn't seem ideal

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

I'll let you know that the Dutch will soon conquer this site, it is only a matter of time. The American reign will collapse. Your fear is justified. 

On a serious note; if you really have doubts about it, I'll let you take the reins from now on, no hard feelings. Good luck then! If you want an extra helping hand, just let me know.  Otherwise, I would gladly host it, I had done some preparations already. 

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

Let's work on it together. We can co-judge, and I can do the announcement write up 

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

Ah great! It takes off some pressure of my back. 

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Just when I'd decided not to seriously attempt my cyberpunk game until I had some smaller projects finished...

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Hmm, a week and still no announcement. It's almost like someone cared more about taking the contest away from the Dutch than about actually running it....

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
I see ten tags for cyberpunk on the statistics page, when before we had like, two. I'm impressed people are actually starting the games now and not waiting till the week of the deadline.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
start... haha.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Flutter already finished his, but judging by the ratings you may not want to follow his example there.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago
Maybe the reason I can never quite get into cyberpunk is because, like other kinds of dystopic sci fi, it just doesn't feel like it's exactly breaking new ground anymore.

https://www.businessinsider.com/killer-drone-hunted-down-human-target-without-being-told-un-2021-5

The future is already here.

Added a cyberpunk tag

2 years ago

True, that's the same feeling I have with political satire. I used to find Onion news articles funny, now these things made me even more sad as many these articles became the truth at one point. Life is stranger than fiction nowadays.