Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Dialoque in poetry?

7 years ago

I have an idea for a 'boss' in one of my fantasy storygames which involves 'breaking the fourth wall' and it involves changing the story to a poetic form. The problem is, dialoque is the foundation of a story and I can't do a 'boss' fight without it. I'm pretty sure that poetry rarely involves dialoque but instead, it revolves around the imagery and other figures of speech but in this case, dialoque is required.

Here are a few questions I have just in case dialoque is possible. If the poem starts with a rhyming scheme, must the dialoque be in a rhyming scheme too? Does the dialoque have to be in a stanza, or should it be in a sentence? If I need to make another stanza, should I put another quotation mark if the same person is speaking or just put the quotation mark at the end of both stanzas? Is there any alternative ways I can make a character say something without involving dialoque? This feels like a stupid question... but just to be sure right?

I shall show a two stanzas if dialoque is possible, please correct my mistakes:

"Be quiet you insolent fool!
I am the best, and the most supreme,
Even if you call me cruel...
I will beat you, by using the unseen." 

"I'll use my power to change your path,
Slowly making the world feel my wrath.
My body invigorated and your life, 
complicated,
I will make this section of thy battle... separated." 

PS: I am not good at all in poetry so please excuse my stupidity.

Dialoque in poetry?

7 years ago
This sounds cool. Reminds me of a bit of Monkey Island
Insult: “You fight like a dairy farmer.”
Player Comeback (one of many choices): “How appropriate. You fight like a cow.”
– Sword fight insult, written by Orson Scott Card.

Dialoque in poetry?

7 years ago
I think stanza is way cooler than just plain rhyme-speak, but obviously it will be harder to write. Rhyming evil leprechauns are irritatingly cliché, so having a bad guy rhyme, but in an upper-class sort of way, makes it unique and more tolerable.

Probably best to quote each stanza by itself. You could also interject various descriptors and such in
between them that way.

Dialoque in poetry?

7 years ago

I don't see any reason why dialogue wouldn't be allowed in a poem. People talk in poems all the time. Just treat it like any other part of the poem and adhere to the rhyme and meter. And personally, I think it makes the most sense for each stanza to use "paragraph rules" for quotations, so if a quote overflows a stanza, use only an opening quotation mark on the next stanza.

"Be quiet you insolent fool!
I am the best, and the most supreme,
Even if you call me cruel...
I will beat you, by using the unseen.

"I'll use my power to change your path,
Slowly making the world feel my wrath.
My body invigorated and your life, complicated,
I will make this section of thy battle... separated."