Love is for the Birds

Player Rating5.21/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 29 ratings since 03/13/2018
played 299 times (finished 15)

"walk in the park"

"A well spent lunch break"

"must be at least this tall to play"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 10. If this were a movie, it would probably be between G and PG.
...and the squirrels. Sort of.

Written in six hours, for no other reason than to avoid consignment to the SHAME pit after my other Romance contest entry didn't want to cooperate.

“Depressed and Rejection?” Wow, that’s a tough start. It sets the environment nicely, though, and I like the first sentence and how it really pushes me down into the depths of despair. Good setup and background to support why I’m so disappointed in myself. The bird talking to me was a surprise, I didn’t know squirrels could speak bird. No matter, it’s set the tone for the story and I get what’s going on nicely. I do like the idea of the blue jay attacking the squirrel, too, as I can certainly see that happening.

The break with no choices on the first page makes sense because it’s a nice change of scene. I like that there’s a choice on the next page. I was a little disappointed that the choice didn’t really have any effect on the story. The advice of the fairy was pretty corny, but I’m not looking for anything seriously deep in a story with talking blue jays.

I did like the various options and directions the story took as it got further along. I enjoyed taking the time to try different paths and then back up, that’s always been my favorite part of these types of stories. There were some…weird things going on in there. I’m really not sure how a squirrel could mate with… oh never mind. This one was lots of fun and a nice short distraction, well done!
-- Ogre11 on 5/2/2018 10:54:42 PM with a score of 0
It looks like you took some inspiration from Disney's somewhat hidden adult humor. Nut jokes, racism, and even being a pervert were all here. I somewhat question the maturity level and the Socially Important tag. It also felt longer than just over 6,000 words, and I have no complaints from the length.

I find the humor to be funny. Perhaps this is a storygame that we should point young newbs to as an example of a good funny story. The plot made sense, it had choices, and it was a quick way to have some chuckles.

One thing I did notice about the humor was how it was explicitly connected to the plot. The story didn't stop in order to have some laughs, for the humor was instead the plot. For example, the quest to find the *Minor Spoilers* Jugglenuts *End Spoilers* was particularly funny. The fact that the game doesn't acknowledge the, ahem, implications of such a name and instead acts as though it is a perfectly normal name really helped the overall game.

I don't know if this game could've ended up receiving any higher ratings. A story about squirrels and their nuts is funny, but I doubt the humor could last for 20,000 words. Anyway, great job!
-- WouldntItBeNice on 3/16/2018 9:57:36 AM with a score of 0
Well, I actually really quite liked this. It was a fun mix of genuinely funny bits in a kid-friendly matter, which is actually fairly hard to do. It actually was quite sweet, unlike pretty much every other entry we've got, with still enough more mature humor to be entertaining. It didn't even seem that short, given how small it's word count actually was, and seemed to just be a story that happened to be short rather than a story that actually suffered in being shortened.

I did, however, feel it kind of found itself stuck in between two possibilities, of being a genuine kid's story in and of itself that can be appreciated by adults for its humor, and being an adult's version of a kids story filled with humor a bit much for kids. I think it would've been a bit safer to stray towards one of those options than remaining in the middle.

Anyhow, it sure wasn't the big epic you always dreamed of, but I certainly enjoyed it. Although it had areas it was light in, there was enough for the kind of story you were telling, so it wasn't lacking. Definitely an example of how a story can be short while still remaining fun and entertaining.
-- Steve24833 on 3/10/2018 8:46:34 PM with a score of 0
A very nice story, great for audiences of just about any age. Since you don't need help with any spelling/grammar, or character development/arcs, or anything because you're Mizal.....well, great job.

Glad to have a story on this site that we could all get together and nut over.
-- corgi213 on 4/29/2018 2:12:36 AM with a score of 0
Black squirrels? I’m dying! ??
-- Victim on 4/8/2018 9:10:01 PM with a score of 0
Rating this to suck up to Mizal because made me feel bad. Actually, a surprisingly good story. My only complaint is that the squirrel babies were uglier than your mom. 8 out of 8 no reason to hate.
-- Killerainbow on 4/4/2018 7:14:07 PM with a score of 0
Brilliant and surprisingly cheerful
-- Daemon_d6 on 3/13/2018 2:24:11 PM with a score of 0
This is all around a very diverse and enjoyable story.
-- Cricket on 3/12/2018 9:59:23 PM with a score of 0
A cute and funny story. Reminds me a bit of the squirrel sequence in Disney's The Sword in the Stone.
-- DavidG on 3/11/2018 8:03:19 AM with a score of 0