Love is for the Birds

Player Rating5.31/8

"#230 overall, #17 for 2018"
based on 51 ratings since 03/13/2018
played 747 times (finished 50)

"walk in the park"

"A well spent lunch break"

"must be at least this tall to play"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 10. If this were a movie, it would probably be between G and PG.
...and the squirrels. Sort of.

Written in six hours, for no other reason than to avoid consignment to the SHAME pit after my other Romance contest entry didn't want to cooperate.

“Depressed and Rejection?” Wow, that’s a tough start. It sets the environment nicely, though, and I like the first sentence and how it really pushes me down into the depths of despair. Good setup and background to support why I’m so disappointed in myself. The bird talking to me was a surprise, I didn’t know squirrels could speak bird. No matter, it’s set the tone for the story and I get what’s going on nicely. I do like the idea of the blue jay attacking the squirrel, too, as I can certainly see that happening.

The break with no choices on the first page makes sense because it’s a nice change of scene. I like that there’s a choice on the next page. I was a little disappointed that the choice didn’t really have any effect on the story. The advice of the fairy was pretty corny, but I’m not looking for anything seriously deep in a story with talking blue jays.

I did like the various options and directions the story took as it got further along. I enjoyed taking the time to try different paths and then back up, that’s always been my favorite part of these types of stories. There were some…weird things going on in there. I’m really not sure how a squirrel could mate with… oh never mind. This one was lots of fun and a nice short distraction, well done!
-- Ogre11 on 5/2/2018 10:54:42 PM with a score of 0
It looks like you took some inspiration from Disney's somewhat hidden adult humor. Nut jokes, racism, and even being a pervert were all here. I somewhat question the maturity level and the Socially Important tag. It also felt longer than just over 6,000 words, and I have no complaints from the length.

I find the humor to be funny. Perhaps this is a storygame that we should point young newbs to as an example of a good funny story. The plot made sense, it had choices, and it was a quick way to have some chuckles.

One thing I did notice about the humor was how it was explicitly connected to the plot. The story didn't stop in order to have some laughs, for the humor was instead the plot. For example, the quest to find the *Minor Spoilers* Jugglenuts *End Spoilers* was particularly funny. The fact that the game doesn't acknowledge the, ahem, implications of such a name and instead acts as though it is a perfectly normal name really helped the overall game.

I don't know if this game could've ended up receiving any higher ratings. A story about squirrels and their nuts is funny, but I doubt the humor could last for 20,000 words. Anyway, great job!
-- WouldntItBeNice on 3/16/2018 9:57:36 AM with a score of 0
Well, I actually really quite liked this. It was a fun mix of genuinely funny bits in a kid-friendly matter, which is actually fairly hard to do. It actually was quite sweet, unlike pretty much every other entry we've got, with still enough more mature humor to be entertaining. It didn't even seem that short, given how small it's word count actually was, and seemed to just be a story that happened to be short rather than a story that actually suffered in being shortened.

I did, however, feel it kind of found itself stuck in between two possibilities, of being a genuine kid's story in and of itself that can be appreciated by adults for its humor, and being an adult's version of a kids story filled with humor a bit much for kids. I think it would've been a bit safer to stray towards one of those options than remaining in the middle.

Anyhow, it sure wasn't the big epic you always dreamed of, but I certainly enjoyed it. Although it had areas it was light in, there was enough for the kind of story you were telling, so it wasn't lacking. Definitely an example of how a story can be short while still remaining fun and entertaining.
-- Steve24833 on 3/10/2018 8:46:34 PM with a score of 0
This was a pleasant and quick read with a couple of surprisingly satisfying payoffs; an absolutely ludicrous accomplishment for six hours of work.
-- JJJ-thebanisher on 9/13/2019 3:43:33 PM with a score of 0
Too long, make it simpler.
-- Cassandra on 9/12/2019 12:09:18 AM with a score of 0
Lots of... nutting.
-- LoudbutSilent on 9/11/2019 11:09:32 AM with a score of 0
I enjoyed the story. This was my first adventure story and it’s easy as being sensible enough to not be stupid.
-- Natbat on 9/10/2019 7:05:58 PM with a score of 0
This is another one of Mizal's rushed contest stories that turns out better than what most noobs publish without a timeline. Have fun trying not to get killed while searching for love at the bottom of the food chain. You're also a massive dork of a grey squirrel so have fun with that. Even the other woodland creatures think you're a loser.

Grammatically it's about as solid as you would expect from somebody that has links to grammar websites on their profile page.

The story also has the sort of innuendos that Mizals stories are known for.
-- DerPrussen on 9/9/2019 4:17:01 PM with a score of 0
'And seize it by the nuts.' I was laughing a lot. Not out loud, I just laugh in my head mot of the time. Don't ask.

I like the way you wormed in some true facts about squirrels, and how you didn't have little pink one running around. The writing was great, very, very few mistakes in it. This may be a slightly older game, and you may not even read this, but I really liked the game.
-- BgirlStories on 5/4/2019 10:48:00 AM with a score of 0
This was good. Stupid. But Good.
-- Dank_0 on 12/23/2018 4:51:19 PM with a score of 0