Player Comments on The Gauntlet

This is an interesting start to the story. I’m not really sure how there is a dungeon built entirely out of steel. Well, I could see that if we were in some futuristic setting where people can make lots of steel and have time to build such things, but I get more of a feeling that we are in a medieval setting, and I’m not sure how they would manage to make an entire dungeon out of steel! But anyway… wait, I’m in a dungeon as a captive, but I still have my sword and shield? I guess they don’t really get a lot of captives around these parts. But hey, at least I have three choices on my first page: I can pick any of three doors that are too heavy for me to open…then why am I picking one?

I did appreciate the different options that were available in the story. I really liked that I could make choices that affected the story, even if there were a lot of different ways to die in this story. It was still fun exploring the dungeon and going back to try different options each time. The story was light-hearted more than it was a serious story, but that’s what made it fun. Thank you for sharing the story with the site.
-- Ogre11 on 7/4/2018 4:48:12 PM with a score of 0
Wow, this was pretty engaging, and this had the right amount of choices for this storygame to be quite enjoyable. This really reminded of a classic dungeon game, in which the player is quite vulnerable as they attempt their best to brave the dangers of a difficult situation of the sort that was presented in this very storygame :)

I felt quite a sense of accomplishment when I finally escaped at the end of this. I must say that this was a keenly written adventure and it has definitely earned my praise. Very impressive, indeed.
-- TharaApples on 11/17/2016 2:11:09 AM with a score of 0
it was good
-- rueben on 1/10/2020 9:45:06 AM with a score of 0
very hard
-- jonh on 1/10/2020 9:38:13 AM with a score of 0
Use the right door, take the spear kill the toad and shield yourself!!!
-- T??? on 1/10/2020 8:03:08 AM with a score of 0
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
-- TXKH on 1/10/2020 7:50:18 AM with a score of 0
THIS IS VERY BORING AND IT IS A DEAD GAME. STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU ARE A BIG NEEK!!!!!!!!!
-- BIG BOI on 1/10/2020 7:42:15 AM with a score of 0
verry good, although it took many tries to succeed and survive
-- computing wizz on 1/8/2020 9:48:43 AM with a score of 0
it was really good but can you explain how i got there in the first place bruh
-- Thomas on 1/8/2020 9:48:01 AM with a score of 0
GOOD
-- DAVE on 1/8/2020 9:47:02 AM with a score of 0
i loved this game so much it was very fun and entertaining i hope you have a good day
-- Natan on 1/8/2020 9:41:35 AM with a score of 0
good job
-- D on 1/8/2020 9:39:26 AM with a score of 0
"The Gauntlet" is an interesting and entertaining bit of writing, but it had some rather major issues.

The biggest problem was this one page where the reader is required to choose based off a past choice. Te link descriptions say not to choose the wrong one.
Now this is something that annoys me a lot. It's just so lazy. If the author used a variable or even just copied and pasted some stuff, it would have been so much better.

The writing was generally decent though, although it could have used a proofreading, and the action scenes were fun. I don't normally like a lot of short, one-link pages, but in this case they were often humorous and used to build suspense.

Still, that unnecessary and lazy noobishness put a bad taste in my mouth.

EDIT: Additionally, there is a dead end page with no link. Yes, that is a big problem.
-- Cricket on 12/26/2019 11:57:07 AM with a score of 0

Still, that unnecessary and lazy noobishness put a bad taste in my mouth.
-- Cricket on 12/26/2019 11:55:00 AM with a score of 0
There’s tons of room in the writing to include better descriptors. I do enjoy the premise though. It’s simple, but has a rich backstory. The backstory itself is not too long or detailed, but you get the “Spark Notes” version. The history of the main character is set, so you have an idea of who you’re playing as and why you are in the dungeon. The Gauntlet is a fitting name as you’re running through a dungeon which is exactly that.

Some things that stuck out to me:

-The word “enormous” is repeated in the first few sentences. “Country” is repeated like 5 sentences in a row on the first page as well.

-The writing seems abbreviated and shallow. It doesn’t go much deeper besides “You go here” and “You do this”.

-It gives off sort of a Dark Souls vibe. The suspense of running through a dungeon without knowing what’s waiting for you is a thrill.

It’s a very base-level storygame. It was posted in 2005 and I bet the author could recreate a better game now (2019). That being said, a published game is a published game and I would have liked to seen more depth, branching, and development. I’ve definitely seen a lot worse games be published, but this one had the potential to be something greater. The majority of it is randomly selecting an action and getting lucky if that was the correct link. Reaching the end didn’t feel like much of an accomplishment. On the positive side, I didn’t feel like it was a waste of time.
-- ninjapitka on 5/3/2019 1:15:47 PM with a score of 0
it was really good,and i think you coukd add other descriptions
-- holly ingram on 1/31/2019 9:00:24 AM with a score of 0
Thank you, it was good, I died, I got squished
-- Hazzy on 1/29/2019 7:16:31 AM with a score of 0
this was ok but, there was alot of writing and im not smart so it wold be better for smart people
-- this is not a dril on 1/25/2019 6:21:24 AM with a score of 0
not the best game some bugs because i got killed by my own tool
-- Liam Plester on 1/25/2019 6:17:20 AM with a score of 0
its rlly good took me 3 tries
-- daniel on 1/25/2019 6:15:19 AM with a score of 0
little more fun then home work(:
-- callum on 1/25/2019 6:12:45 AM with a score of 0
it was alright to much writing though maybe shorten down the wrighting
-- daniel on 1/25/2019 6:12:25 AM with a score of 0
Ehhh not the best, could be longer
-- MongooseGirl on 12/5/2018 4:54:18 PM with a score of 0
Very good job!
-- MusicalNerd7 on 5/30/2018 9:37:42 AM with a score of 0
Needs pictures and a better story line
-- Max on 1/10/2018 8:45:58 AM with a score of 0
very good ending
-- millie on 1/9/2018 7:34:32 AM with a score of 0
it was good but short and it didnt fully make sence to me i think you should do more of these, they could be diffrent styles and good for diffrent ages because my brother and sister like doing things like this and i would want to show them but they are a bit grown up for them so mabey do them for younger ages. bye :3
-- rosie on 1/4/2018 9:01:08 AM with a score of 0
Awesome did t on my first try u should do more
-- Zedrezian on 1/4/2018 9:00:13 AM with a score of 0
interesting but too short
-- corgi213 on 10/28/2017 4:56:26 PM with a score of 0
Respect is the key in this game, just like in life. Honor others and use fairly earned resources and you will do just fine.
-- Joseph on 4/28/2017 1:24:14 PM with a score of 0
No real story, just basic decisions with sarcastic deaths. It was fun, but not very fulfilling. I did the first ending. Perhaps you can consider this a comical story.
-- mshub1246 on 4/16/2017 5:22:02 PM with a score of 0
Yeah this was very good
-- Dimas15 on 3/27/2017 8:43:56 PM with a score of 0
Okay, the first page almost instantly repelled me. "Left, Right, Middle" links usually make readers think of the beginning of a maze, which in storygames, most people hate. Also, i noticed a lot of "Yes/No, Left/Right" links, which are really basic.

A little more development of the plot/characters/setting would be nice. The story itself is decent and could be worked on, but still a fairly nice standalone story.
-- Crescentstar on 12/3/2016 10:51:30 PM with a score of 0
Good story!
-- Voltage on 12/2/2016 12:46:11 PM with a score of 0
I died twice.
-- Stormfeather on 11/14/2016 8:34:17 PM with a score of 0
Made it out alive, went back home, and became king! Guess that means I got the best ending? Fun short story. Lots of spelling and grammar issues though. Not too bad since this was one of your first stories at the time, I just hope you've expanded your vocabulary since writing this. The word of the day is ENORMOUS!
-- BigRonn77 on 9/20/2016 8:51:25 AM with a score of 0
Great game
-- BananaWizard on 3/31/2016 2:54:28 PM with a score of 0
Enlightened by this story to respect the dead.
-- JeremyOfTheStorm on 1/20/2016 2:49:36 AM with a score of 0
Quite fun. I found three endings, for those who are wondering
1. You escape
2. You escape and go home
3. You escape and go home and become king/hero
-- aartbastiaan on 1/16/2016 6:22:23 PM with a score of 0
cool
-- corgi213 on 12/31/2015 8:37:30 PM with a score of 0
Oh I win..that's cool...this game was nice..I guess..
-- kawaii_kitty on 5/5/2015 7:03:48 AM with a score of 0
Easy but interesting
-- gamebruh on 3/18/2015 2:00:56 PM with a score of 0
way too short and linear, but this being your first story/game you made at the time, i guess it's okay
-- TheIllusionist on 1/7/2015 1:47:37 PM with a score of 0
Short and sweet!
-- temp on 12/25/2014 2:23:15 PM with a score of 0
It was a short and fun story with a little humour here and there.
-- Madbrad200 on 6/27/2014 12:17:43 AM with a score of 0
Interesting . . . short and has a lot of potential though. I would love to see the author really work on this to develop a really nice, FUNderful adventure!
-- CardinalSynn on 4/7/2014 1:07:20 AM with a score of 0
Nice!
-- Il_Maestro on 9/2/2013 12:27:30 AM with a score of 0
A bit short but overall a good story!
-- jack10345 on 8/5/2013 7:42:45 PM with a score of 0
Lame....sorry, too short, too easy....no challenge
-- DarthNelly on 4/5/2013 12:14:28 PM with a score of 0
pretty fun
-- EragonMax490 on 12/5/2012 1:47:13 PM with a score of 0
How did this get a 6/8 difficulty rating, or a 5/8 play length? I finished the game in under 10 minutes, and was bored within 5. I hope the second one is better.
-- Sjabber on 9/22/2012 12:44:04 PM with a score of 0
Very well written and exciting! Excellent :)
-- NellucStoryGuy on 8/14/2012 1:55:54 PM with a score of 0
Bit too linear but fine overall.
-- CovElite on 7/3/2012 7:15:20 PM with a score of 0
Great writing, engaging story and good amount of choices
-- Xt1000305 on 6/2/2012 11:54:28 AM with a score of 0
...Good!
-- Swiftstryker on 4/25/2012 8:12:55 PM with a score of 0
Amusing.
-- RyuuKitsune9 on 2/5/2012 12:05:27 AM with a score of 0
Pretty good game! I hope you add some more!
-- SoarHighBeFree on 12/18/2011 3:45:49 AM with a score of 0
Cool nice job. Now i can play the second one and know what happened!
-- ChosenOne112 on 11/24/2011 12:06:37 PM with a score of 0
pretty good.
-- Killer999 on 9/22/2011 11:13:57 AM with a score of 0
Fun but short :)
-- Jon on 7/13/2011 2:02:47 PM with a score of 0
As with most fantasy games, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I still enjoyed it.
-- RiterOfWrandom on 7/7/2011 11:43:34 AM with a score of 0
Not bad. I'm a little confused though. If you're a prisoner trying to escape Tyrranica you never explained how the heck you managed to keep your sword and shield.
-- thelovelypeach35 on 6/30/2011 4:40:40 PM with a score of 0
A nice fun read with interesting choices. Is there a way to favorite certain stories? I'd like to come back to it again some time and try another door. I had chose the middle door btw and got a happy ending. Thanks for the story.
-- Lori on 6/27/2011 1:52:52 AM with a score of 0
Short, but fun! I like it!
-- DRBickham on 5/17/2011 1:44:27 AM with a score of 0
Fun :D Going to go play the second one now~
-- MrYz on 4/21/2011 4:00:01 PM with a score of 0
that was lucky, i won the first try
-- Dunkler Fuchs on 9/11/2010 3:52:13 PM with a score of 0
It was good, but Vengeance is better.
-- Jeff on 8/11/2010 4:40:17 PM with a score of 0
A nice game to fill spare time.
-- hummingbird3 on 2/28/2010 2:40:27 PM with a score of 0
Best storygame I've played yet. Face it: you rock.
-- NealShustermanFan on 5/21/2009 6:10:29 PM with a score of 0
Good Job!
-- koolgai on 2/3/2009 7:43:05 PM with a score of 0
None of it makes sense... None at all. "The potion increased your strength, not your ability to jump." Yet your ability to jump is determined by the strength of your legs, and how much force they can push you with. And your shield doesn't float, but the giant stone statue does... And how can you smash a stone statue with super strength but not break your hand? you would break it even without super strength, I would be surprised if you had a hand left at all with extra pressure. One more thing. If you throw the shield, it would knock the statue backwards, with the momentum of the throw, not forward into the river.
-- Common Sense on 6/26/2008 1:56:04 PM with a score of 0
It was a very good game.However you could put more description of the characters.
-- Jade on 1/9/2008 11:47:10 AM with a score of 0
It is a bit unique, an interresting role play.
-- Marcousq on 1/2/2008 2:29:56 PM with a score of 0
Pretty good.
-- Miccy2000 on 8/30/2007 7:22:25 AM with a score of 0
Impeccable writing!
Great job!
All it needed was a way to prohibit cheating using variables like alot of the other games.
-- Darknuth on 5/17/2007 10:08:21 AM with a score of 0
Mhe is what i say about this game.
-- quadcam on 4/13/2007 7:10:38 AM with a score of 0
6/8
-- Rommel on 3/18/2007 2:08:03 AM with a score of 0
Too short, but a good game.
-- DarthVader_13 on 2/15/2007 7:28:44 PM with a score of 0
I played the game again so I could have a chance to win.
-- Sir_Lancegalawain on 11/28/2006 6:02:46 PM with a score of 0
Impressive. Most impressive. But you're not a Jedi yet...
-- Sir_Lancegalawain on 11/28/2006 5:55:38 PM with a score of 0
This is the first one I have won :D
-- huruey on 10/17/2006 2:21:51 PM with a score of 0
An awesome game. Easily a six for me. Well done.
-- October on 10/13/2006 3:59:15 AM with a score of 0
Lots of imaginative ways to die!
-- GMDaniel on 8/23/2006 1:50:29 AM with a score of 0
Great game!
-- Anubis on 8/10/2006 9:26:43 AM with a score of 0
Excellent game! Very well written, great descriptions, good choices. Different endings! I won in what I consider the best way, though I won't spoil it. Superb job.
-- madglee on 8/3/2006 10:41:06 PM with a score of 0
I wonder why this is not featured...
-- GodsSlayer on 7/17/2006 3:53:51 PM with a score of 0
Great game!
-- somerandomperson on 5/5/2006 12:51:48 PM with a score of 0
I love it. It have a lot of links and every thing that I like in a game. I love this game. Nice work.
-- GodsSlayer on 4/9/2006 12:38:27 AM with a score of 0
I got the third and final ending for me anyway. They were all great, but I like the first one the most, the one that would seem to lead to a sequel what with the war thing and becoming the leader. ;)
-- leon101 on 1/29/2006 11:01:13 PM with a score of 0
Played through it again, yep just more greatness. This time I got (what I will call for me) the second ending, now to go and get the third and then play the second. Good job badger, you should make a third one. ;)
-- leon101 on 1/29/2006 10:56:19 PM with a score of 0
This is a really great game, 8/8. I got the best ending apparently. Now to get the others.
-- leon101 on 1/29/2006 10:45:06 PM with a score of 0
niah, it was good but...
-- da ravemaster on 12/24/2005 9:12:57 AM with a score of 0
really, really good. it was hard, too. TO THE SECOND ONE!
-- loganmfoust7 on 10/12/2005 11:19:36 AM with a score of 0
This game is good.
-- Max & Maya on 7/17/2005 10:02:13 AM with a score of 0
It was ok, badger: youre my favorite author but compared to vengeance, this was merely, ok... 7/10
-- JJJ on 6/20/2005 1:13:54 AM with a score of 0
WOEW!! THAT WASS AWESOMEL!! YURE SO CULE!!
-- NOoneINPARCITALUR on 5/14/2005 7:07:20 PM with a score of 0
this is a cool gamr amd i know this person so it seams tipacali of him expctc more good things from him
-- on 4/14/2005 4:58:52 PM with a score of 0
found one dead link, (gold in pockets). lol, that ending was just as good. I'm a true hero.
-- march5th00 on 4/4/2005 1:40:29 PM with a score of 0
wow, for a first game this is pretty darn good. It could use a touch up (the spear thing could be an object if u figure out the advanced editor, and some pics would bring the story together nicely) but it's non linear, it's well written, and it was fun to play. Congrats. Waiting for the next game.
-- march5th00 on 4/4/2005 1:38:39 PM with a score of 0
Nice dungeon adventure. Make a sequal about escaping back to home base and a third chapter about how he saves the slaves or takes over the country and give back all the slaves. :):):)
-- Havacoman on 4/1/2005 11:44:34 PM with a score of 0
Hey, everyone! This is my first game on this website, so I'd appreciate comments! Is this a good game? Could I have made it better? Should I make a sequel?
-- Badger on 4/1/2005 2:44:01 PM with a score of 0
yep, played it again. still love it. nice flow, straight forward story. you keep it simple yet informative. write about the war next time. I want to see more of this story.
-- nate on 4/1/2005 8:35:01 AM with a score of 0
ok, i died with the shield thing so i didnt get far but i gotta say one thing. GREAT WORK! This has got to be the best start to a game that ive read in a long time. The description was great. You put the reader right into the story. This was great. Keep it up.
-- nate on 3/31/2005 9:41:25 PM with a score of 0
this game was made by my brother! Ain't it awesome? I liked the car chase. Just kidding. By! I think I'm the first one to play.
-- Al on 3/31/2005 9:05:22 PM with a score of 0