Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
I saw this prompt elsewhere and thought the CYS version might turn out interesting:

Turns out 2021 is just a bizarre and unprecedented as 2020, except it's all good things that keep happening. What are they?

The good things can be on a personal or global level. Except since this is allegedly a writing site, try to post about them in a literary fashion.

^doggo for wholesome and positive thread

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
Summoning @AestheticLlama for same reason as doggo

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago

According to my calculations, 2021 is going to be a better and less crappy year than 2020! And I'll make sure of it! By wholesome animals!

RANDOM CUTE ANIMALS, GO!

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago

The ongoing effects of climate change invoke a minor anomaly in the weather, wherein throughout the entire year, it only rains on my lawn when I'm not outside, and to exactly the extent required to ensure verdancy. This occurs reliably through summer, and I enjoy a record year of low maintenance coupled with beautiful garden foliage.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago

A breakthrough in neuroscience cures my ex of her various psychological conditions and I can go back to being a man in the shadow of a sexy giraffe 

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
Ford actually finishes a story and publishes it here

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago

USA enters a commercial war with China in Africa, playing into the favors of key nations like Ghana, Botswana, and Rwanda who all in turn give minimal favors to either side (a la Egypt circa Suez).  The job market (especially government-contracted workers like engineers, analysts, and middle managers) expands to exporting workers and goods to developing nations, offsetting a significant amount of national debt while skilled trades become a new alternative to a saturated white-collar job market on and off shore.

Fusion reactors become cheaper and more containable than fission or coal generators.  The overabundance of electricity kills the unviable solar, wind, and natural gas industries in one fell swoop on a commercial scale, returning them all back to tinkerers and modern-age hippies to fuck around with.

This site gets that slick black theme.

Right to repair laws beat the shit out of Apple and other companies, allowing people across the globe to make mini Shenzhens and drive tech costs down.

Permaculture farms along the coasts of pescatarian regions regenerate other fish populations by accident, but ultimately reduces algal bloom frequency.

The IRS gets audited by the Treasury.  Tax dollars are returned.

Contaminants like arsenic and lead become relatively easy to filter through a new type of membrane, bringing back habitability to areas once thought too contaminated to live in.  This is done passively and cheaply, so land developers jump on it and empty out congested urban areas across the globe.

North Korea folds under the lack of food, and decides to conjoin with South Korea to meet basic agricultural and energy needs after China's disappointing failure to provide tractors, medicine, and other goods that most developing nations already possess.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
Except for my dad being on the verge of death for most of September (but he got better), my 2020 has gone pretty well. Plenty of overtime when lots of people aren't working at all, and social distancing is me preferred way of living anyhow. Masks are great btw, you never have to worry about food between your teeth.

Finally living alone again, just me and my dogs and my books in the country, and it's dirt cheap. I'll have a computer again in another paycheck or two. If nothing disrupts my blissful solitude out here for the next year, them I'm already just a little short of Heaven.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
That sky is really nice. What kind of dog is that?

That building looks tiny though.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
If you look to the left there's more hidden in the trees, it's all very green. But it is pretty small, it's a refurbished boxcar with a front and back deck built on.

I should add that living in a boxcar was a childhood fantasy of mine thanks to that one book (the OG Boxcar Children, not the four billion sequels.) So that's another way in which everything is wonderful now.

Daphney is a German shorthaired pointer, I think? Or s mix of something like that. Back when I was taking care of my grandpa she just showed up in the garage after a thunderstorm one night and never left. It's possible she was a drop-off, she gets pretty shook any time I try to put her in the car.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago

Back when I was taking care of my grandpa she just showed up in the garage after a thunderstorm one night and never left. It's possible she was a drop-off, she gets pretty shook any time I try to put her in the car.

I hope she's not a drop-off! Who could get rid of such an adorable dog? :[

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
Someone who deserves to have things done to them that I can't say in front of a five year old.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
Starbourne stared at his uncle. "You're just GIVING me the business?"

"Sure, now that coronavirus is under control with the vaccine. Your aunt and I have decided to travel the world. Here's the paperwork and all the contacts and keys, now bye, she's waiting in the car."

SB followed him outside, waving bye to his aunt and picking the paper up off the driveway. ASTEROID THAT FLATTENED PORTLAND SOMEHOW REVERSED CLIMATE CHANGE, SCIENTISTS AGREE read the headlines.

Suddenly he heard a happy bark. "Is that your dog?" his aunt asked.

"We don't have a dog. OH SHIT, WAIT, it's Presley!" he exclaimed joyfully, picking the brown and white terrier up and hugging him.

"Weird," said his uncle, "I thought that dog ran away and probably got hit by a car or something four years ago, but there he is, he looks fine."

SIX MONTHS LATER

Christmas Eve and SB sat on the couch watching TV with Presley and his dad. "I'm so glad the house right down the block was on sale for so cheap," his dad said. "I live so close to you and your mom now, and I spent so much less than I expected so now i can buy you a car."

"Wow, thanks dad!"

Mom came out from the kitchen. "Merry Christmas! I made gingerbread men, roasted chestnuts and figgy pudding, whatever the hell that is."

It was a heartwarming and beautiful family night. Tomorrow Santa Claus, after he'd been confirmed real after helping break up all the child slavery rings with his supernatural knowledge of where everyone naughty lived, would livestream his flight around the world. SB was excited because in the new online Christmas wish list service, he had saved up enough Nice points by putting siding on elderly people's homes for free through his business that he would now have Disneyland, the entire park, brought to him by the reindeer.

(Santa had also confirmed Jesus was real and that they hung out sometimes, He just didn't like to use the internet.)

SB and his family chatted warmly by the Christmas tree and newly installed fireplace with plus sized chimney, then cheerfully watched the news, which showed the anti vaxxers who had refused to wear masks and then refused vaccines and then resisted exile to the VALLEY OF JUDGEMNT (the giant crater where Portland used to be, now grown over with some grass and clover for them to make food and clothes from) were being lined up for execution.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
Well it was almost wholesome.

There were several funny bits here, but for some reason making a point to mention that the "valley" had grass and clover tickled me. Like no, they're not being forcibly relocated to a barren radioactive wasteland. They have all sorts of things. You know, like... .....clover.....and grass.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago
If a person is VERY patient and creative, I'm sure they can make a loincloth from clover. Maybe even a bikini or a hat.

No I have not tested this.

2021 wishful thinking

3 years ago

MHD's very attractive significant other she met on January first, twenty-twenty-one at exactly midnight brings her a particularly yummy chai tea as she snuggles in bed under a huge, fluffy blanket with her two cats who fight for the coveted spot in her lap as she draws away on her sketchbook in hand. And she also wins one million dollars. ;`~)