Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 2/16/2023: 2025 or sooner

Is it possible to export entire projects?

4 years ago

Quite by accident, I hit Ctrl-P while using the new RTE when I meant to hit Shift-P the other day, and a miraculous feature popped up: an option to export my page into an offline format! Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I don't recall this being available before the update.

The format options are PDF, OneNote, or printing a hard copy. (Fax is also an option, although I can't imagine why.)

I have been backing up my finished stories in OneNote anyway, so I got excited when I saw this feature. However, there are some key limitations:

1. From what I can tell, only one page at a time can be exported.
  2. The exported text does not seem to include page titles or page links.
  3. Not everybody may find those three main format options useful.

From what I understand, the new RTE is some kind of module that 3J and company installed in the existing CYS framework, and wasn't something that was coded from scratch. If so, then I assume that module includes options that a programmer can select / unselect to add or remove features as needed.

With that assumption in mind, I think it would be awesome if this export feature could be expanded to accomplish the following:

1. Export an entire storygame at once.
  2. Include page titles and page links.
  3. At the very least, include MS Word as a format option.

This would allow me to back up my story game just before I publish it, saving me from having to copy and paste each page one at a time.

But if this would involve many hours of tedious HTML coding, then even I'll admit it's not worth the effort.

4 years ago
I'm fairly certain this would involve many hours of tedious coding. It's not the first time it's been suggested, anyway, and it's something all of us would kill for if we could have it. It might be more feasible if dealing only with games with zero scripting, but otherwise the issue is that all of that stuff is built into the site itself and not simply a matter of linking pages to other pages. Most likely one of the smart people can explain it better than I can. @Killa_Robot @BradinDvorak @Ogre11

4 years ago
Without seeing the screen, I can't be 100% sure, but I strongly suspect this isn't an actual export, but a simple print dialog box that will simply print the contents of the page in view when you pressed that button.

4 years ago
CTRL+P is the shortcut to print in a web browser. Chrome is unique in that its built it that you can print to pdf (others cant so far as im aware). I think most can do onenote though, and of course print to printers.

Works on all websites.

4 years ago

So yes, I'm using Chrome, and when I click Ctrl-P on any random page I get the exact same set of options. So my bubble has been burst.

3 years ago

I have been looking for a way to do this too. In TWINE, there is a way to export your entire project as a standalone .html file. This would be a very useful feature to develop.

3 years ago
It's not difficult to do this on the basic level, and someone made a Python script for it recently that worked except for a couple of issues.

But something like this is only ever going to work on games without scripts or inventory items, so really just making backups of Endmaster's games would be the only worthwhile use of it.

3 years ago

The story I'm working on is pretty basic; it's just a conversation simulator for ESL learners. Do you have access to that Python script? That would really help me out.

Thanks for the info!

3 years ago
I mean, twine was literally designed with doing that as the end goal. Its not just a feature, its the entire purpose of the program.

Chooseyourstory has a strong serverside aspect to it if you use scripting, meaning all that would have translated and emulated in a single html file. Its not worthwhile to invest that much time into something that would primarily serve to drive people away from the site, lol.

3 years ago

Ok, that makes sense I suppose. Thanks!

3 years ago
To clarify, this is something i would be okay doing eventually (there is a high demand) its just the difficulty makes it really low on the list of things to do.