Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 9/7/2012: Perfect fit for the new site
This feature was completed 5/8/2021: this is ancient

Turn categories into tags

11 years ago

This is one suggestion I'd really like to see fly. It makes sense to implement it but because of how the site is currently structured it may take more coding than Alex is willing to do to change it. Hopefully it's either not too hard to implement or Alex wants to do it.

Anyway - essentially the idea is to turn categories into tags.

There are storygames on CYS that could be considered both Horror and Modern Adventure, or are both Sci-Fi and Fan Fiction. You can't put your storygame into two different categories at once, which makes it difficult to classify, say, a time-travelling storygame where your character experiences both the past (Fantasy) and future (Sci-Fi).

What you can do is give your storygame multiple tags. Instead of categories, we could have a Fantasy tag, a Modern Adventure tag, a Fan Fiction tag and so on. This would solve the problem of only being able to sort a storygame into one category.

Worried about no longer having featured storygames? That's not the case. Instead, you could have certain tags that are featured on the Storygames page, similarly to how categories are displayed on the Storygames page now.

Anyway - I'd really like to see this FWW request become a reality. Especially now that we're in the process of upgrading the whole site.

11 years ago
Awesome Idea.

11 years ago

I'm not opposed to the idea, on a conceptual or implementation side, largely because I'm currently (struggling to) redo the listing page. It's almost done (this one) and, if we go with tags only, then this would be the PRIMARY page for listing storygames. I'd have to add a tag filter/search, but that was going to be done anyway.

If we stick with categories, then I'd need to make a page that is like the current category page, but doesn't look like anus. And I don't like doing new layout things. Not a designer, so it's not very fun for me.

I do like categories, but maybe because they're familiar. We started off with them, and I have fond memories of coming up with the names, the catch phrases, and some of the pictures are fun. But, you know, that's nostalgia for ya. They do seem to overlap tags.

11 years ago

The almost done page looks epic

11 years ago

Any objections to this?

I'm like 95% sure on this one...

11 years ago

I've wanted this for so long that it was Solostrike who originally shut me down on asking for it.

11 years ago

Well solo's gone so that gives free-er range.

2 years ago
Tags exist, and storygame search is pretty competent now. You can even click tags to jump to the search. I think this is safe to close now.

2 years ago
It's about fucking time.