Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Kill Dr. Lucky Forum Game

Why do all mystery games start just after all the fun is over?

Welcome to Lucky mansion, a rambling country estate seven miles north of nowhere. It's a stormy midsummer's evening, ten seconds after midnight - and someone's just shut off the lights.

You have hated Doctor Lucky for as long as you can remember, and you've been secretly awaiting this perfect chance to do the old man in. Maybe he destroyed your dry cleaning business; maybe you think he's the leader of the vampires. Perhaps he's the only person standing between you and the family fortune. Or maybe his cat just keeps peeing in your shrubs. Whatever your reason, it's good enough to push you over the edge. And now you absolutely can't wait to take the lying old bastard down.

And, though you don't know it, everyone else in the house wants to kill him too.

Take a deep breath. Remember why you're here. And then start sneaking around in the dark. If you run across a weapon, grab it, if you bump into Doctor Lucky, give him hell.

Trying to kill Doctor Lucky is pretty easy, as long as no one's looking. But they don't call him "Doctor Lucky" for nothing. He's got an uncanny knack for slipping out of harm's way. Don't despair; after enough tries, you're guaranteed to wear the old codger down. You just need a clever plan, a good bluff, and a little more luck than everyone else.

So gather in the Drawing Room and get cracking. Somebody's going to kill Doctor Lucky tonight, and it might as well be you.

Photobucket

This is a game for 6 players and requires a minimum 2 posts a day. Basically, it will work with each real day being 2 Rounds of play.

In Round 1 (the beginning of each posting day), you pick a Room to search, gather Weapons and hope that Dr. Lucky walks-by (randomly determined).

In Round 2, you get to try to Kill Dr. Lucky while the other Players try to Foil your evil schemes.

Full rules will be posted as we get interest.

Anyone can sign up – but it is not first come first serve. I will personally award 3 seats to my preferred players (those who have played in my games before and been solid contributors), then allot the remaining 3 seats Randomly.

If you’re interested in throwing your hat in for a spot, please reply below and note which of the following tokens (1 - 10) you want for your character –

Photobucket

I plan to start this next week or so if it fills up –

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I want to be Dr. Lucky.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Doctor Lucky is the NPC antagonist, so no playing him unfortunately  ;)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I will be token 9 then.

I have to stop posting with the wrong account.

I am BullShacked.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I want to join if you'll havbe me:) (DIBBS on number 5! )

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I'll play, dibs on number 6 for the token

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Me too, dibs on number 3

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Ahhh man. This game was so much fun. There were a few oddities and disappointments in play though. What changes have you made? (If I were to play again I would want token 7)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

It will play pretty much the same - but will incorporate the Optional Rule that was voted down in the original game (where everyone gets the focus, at least once, each time Dr. Lucky does not land on someone - rather than before, where it was entirely possible to go through the game and never have a chance to Kill Dr. Lucky).

Also - the 'Theme' is changed - not Cthulhu like last time. It's something new now...

Plus - The Steal Focus Cards will Expire now at Round 10, so we don't have a repeat of the game being won by a player sitting on them till the end...

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I'd like to play, I would prefer either token 10 or token 3. :)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Sorry 3 is mine. You can take 10

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Duel for it :p

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

How about no.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

No to that.

If another player wants a token then you each duel for it.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

He said he prefers 3 or 10, I take 3 he can take 10 and nobody is angry

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Yes but you can't simply tell another player that he can't take number three just because you want it as well.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Fine I'll take number 6.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Great, duel me for it :p

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Oh, come on dude! 

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Anyone can claim any number. If there is a conflict later, the number will obviously go to who-ever actually gets in the game - plus there's duels or random rolls for them in the case where two players really want the same token.  ^v^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I have no idea what any of those words meant. What is this focus you speak of?

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

What does the 8 say?

(So i'm choosing 8.)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

8 is a dog, I believe dogs say "Woof!"

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Not to scare anyone off - but here are the Official Rules (which will be re-posted in an OOC Thread once the game gets going)...

---

The Rules
The rules might look complicated at first glance (there’s a lot of information) but really, the only one that needs to know them by heart is the guy running the game (me). It should be easy for anyone to play and just ask what to do next if they suddenly get lost. Believe me though, It will make sense once we start playing. Feel free to ask questions and point out potential pitfalls. I’m willing to edit the rules as needed to make the game run smoothly.

To begin:
Everyone starts in the Drawing Room.

To Win:
Kill Doctor Lucky. Pretty simple.

How To Play:
Each Day of the Game, you make a Minimum of 2 Posts.

The 2 Posts are considered a Round.

If folks are all active enough, it is possible to play through more than 1 Round each Day.

Cards
Each Player starts with a Card Hand of 6 cards (I PM your Card Hand to you & we both keep track of what Cards you have/use)

You also get a new Card(s) with each Room Search (see below).

You can hold any number of any Type of Cards in your Hand.

Post 1: Move & Search
Everyone posts which Room they are moving to and searching around in. All ‘Rooms’ have a name, while the Hallways and Stairs do not. You can elect to move into a Hallway or Stairs if you like, but you can only Search or kill Dr. Lucky in a Named Room. You can also share areas if you like, but it may or may not be to your advantage to do so.

I’ll then Update the Game Map to show everyone’s position and PM each Player what they found in each Room (in the form of Cards).

Post 2: Play Cards & Kill Dr. Lucky
I will then Post Dr. Lucky’s position on the Map (randomly determined).

If Dr. Lucky is in a Room with you, then you are the Focus Player and get to try to Kill Him (or) Lure Him Around first and then try to Kill Him (see below).

If Dr. Lucky is not in a Room with a Player, then the Player Closest To Him That Has Not Yet Had The Focus becomes the Proximity Focus Player and gets a Free Move (see below) and to Play Cards and possibly maneuver to a point where he can try to Kill or Lure Dr. Lucky. Once everyone has had the Focus, The Initial Proximity Focus then gets determined by how many times each Player has had the Focus and so on...

If a Murder Attempt cannot be made by the Focus/Proximity Focus Player for any reason, then the Next Closest To Dr. Lucky (Regardless of Focus Count) becomes the Next Proximity Focus Player and gets to try it. In the event of multiple Players being the same distance away, then 1 will be chosen randomly to be the Next Proximity Focus Player.

Killing Dr. Lucky
To attempt a murder, you must be alone in a Named Room with Dr. Lucky, and you must be out of sight of every other player (if someone can stand anywhere in one room and look straight through doorways into the room you’re in, they can see you). You can only make one murder attempt per turn. You may play one Weapon Card to improve your murder attempt; otherwise, it has a basic value of 1. Without the Weapon Card, you're trying to kill the old man with whatever is on hand, or just poking him in the eye with your finger.

If you use a Weapon Card, your murder attempt has the value of that Weapon. For example, a murder attempt with a 4-point Weapon has a value of 4. The better your attempt, the harder it will be for your opponents to stop you. Once you've made your murder attempt, everyone else gets one chance to foil it, by playing Failure Cards.

Each Player may then play one or more Failure Cards, or Pass.

To foil a murder requires one Failure point for each point in the murder value. Failure cards are worth 1, 2, or 3 points each.

When spending Failure Cards to foil a murder, you must indicate when you are finished by Posting: “NO MORE” Or “PASS”

Pass simply means you refuse to (or can’t) spend any at all.
No More means you are done spending any.

For example, I might volunteer 1 Failure Card, then another Player PASSes, and another player puts 1 in Failure Card and NO MORE. I can still put additional Failure Cards in, but the other two Players are locked out. Be careful though, if you rely on others to play their Failure Cards and they don’t have any, you screw yourself and the murderer wins!

If it looks like the murderer is going to win because the last person to post doesn’t have enough Failure Cards (or claims it anyway), then that last Player can choose one other Player and Beg him to cover the difference. If that Player cannot (or refuses) and the difference remains unpaid – the murderer wins the game.

Note: Even though your early murder attempts probably won't succeed, it's important to keep trying, so that you force the Failure cards out of other players' hands. The fewer Failures everyone else holds, the better your chances of winning.

There are 20 Weapon cards, including many which, like the Billiard Cue below, are more effective in particular rooms. There are 42 Failure cards, including 26 1-pointFailures, 12 2-point Failures and 4 3-point Failures. Once used, Failure Cards are gone for good, but weapons can continue to be found in Room searches.

Luring Dr. Lucky Around
As long as you are in a Room with Dr. Lucky and have the Focus, you can elect (rather than trying to murder him immediately) to Lure him instead. This is done by leading the old fool around the mansion from adjacent Room to adjacent Room (but only through Rooms with a name – not the hallways or stairs).

In each Room you enter with Dr. Lucky, you get to search for a Card (or) stop and try to murder him. This is a handy way to get the old codger out of other Players’ Line-of-Sight.

However: You cannot move into a Room that the two of you have already been in AND if you move into a Room occupied by another Player, then That Player Steals Your Turn. You stop and the new Player becomes the Focus Player and picks up where you left off. In the case were more than 1 Player are in said Room, then I’ll randomly assign the new Focus Player.

Playing Cards
The Player with the Focus (in other words: with Dr. Lucky in a Room or Closest To Him), gets to play Cards. Other Players do not play any Cards, until the Focus Player tries to kill Dr. Lucky (or the Focus jumps to them).

Additionally, you can only play Failure Cards when you don’t have the Focus.

Basically there are 4 Card Types (Move Cards; Room Cards; Weapon Cards; & Failure Cards;)

• Move Cards: These cards can move you or they can move Dr. Lucky. There are 14 move cards, including 8 Move-1's, 4 Move-2's and 2 Move-3's. When you play one of these cards on Dr. Lucky, you can send him in any direction.
  • Room Cards: Use these cards to jump either yourself or Dr. Lucky to a particular Room. There are 20 different Room cards.
  • Weapon Cards: (As noted above), are played to kill Dr. Lucky
  • Failure Cards: (As noted above), are played to foil other Players’ murder attempts against Dr. Lucky

You can play any number of Move, Room, or Failure Cards at one time, but only 1 Weapon Card with each attempt to Kill Dr. Lucky.

Free Move
In addition to playing Move Cards: the Player with the Focus gets 1 Free Move each Round – which he/she can use (or not) to go move from where they are to any adjacent Room, Hall, or Stairs. The Free Move can be used before, during, or after playing Cards.

Failing To Do The Old Man In
When you make an attempt to kill him Dr. Lucky and fail, you scare him off; he disappears from the Rooms and that starts a new Round.

And His Little Dog Too!
Dr. Lucky has a hateful little Ankle-Bitter lurking around the mansion too (under the couches and such). Its name is ‘Mr. Smiles’ and it will also be moving around the Rooms, but it doesn’t have a counter. You’ll know when it’s in a room with you though – because it will be biting the crap out of you.

In other words, if you choose a room (during the Move Phase) with Mr. Smiles in it, you can’t Search it (you get no Cards). Additionally, if you Lure Dr. Lucky into a Room with Mr. Smiles in it, you don’t get to search the Room and must make an immediate attempt to kill Dr. Lucky or will lose the Focus.

Mr. Smiles can’t be killed, but you can drop-kick him into another Room. After Mr. Smiles attacks, you get to PM me which Room you kick him into; and he’ll stay there until the end of the next Move Phase for the other players to run into. Mr. Smiles does not attack Players in a Room he is drop-kicked into until after the next Move Phase

If Mr. Smiles hasn’t been placed by a Player, then he moves randomly at the same time as Dr. Lucky. If two Players are in the same room when Mr. Smiles attacks, then Focus Player gets to decide where to place him.

If Mr. Smiles is in a Room with Dr. Lucky when you try to Kill DR. Lucky, Mr. Smiles automatically counts as 1 Failure Card. This means the attempt is easier to foil, because Mr. Smiles is helping to protect his master. The good news is that you take the rotten little ankle-biter out with the old man if you actually manage to succeed.

Map Notes
Numbers on the Map will not be used for the Forum Version of the Game. The dotted ‘wall’ between the Gallery and Dining Hall is a banister railing. You can actually see over it. You can also see up and down Stairs.

Card Swapping Madness!
If you want to barter with other Players for Card trades via PM, you can do so - but actually transactions have to go through me and will only go through during the Opening Phase of each Round (where you are choosing your Rooms to Search)...

The risk here is that you let other players know what Cards you have, so it may or may not be worth it - but if you want, go for it!

Only PM me (both players) to make the trade once both parties have come to a final agreement. I don't want to be involved with the back and forth lead up to any trades.

Posting/Not Posting
Please post which Room you are moving into early (or in advance) if you know you’ll be offline long.

Once Dr. Lucky moves into a Room (or you get the Focus) the Focus Player has 6-8 hours to post or he loses the Focus to the next Player, who then has 2 hours to post, and so on…

When the Focus Player makes an attempt to kill Dr. Lucky, you have 6-8 hours to respond with Failure Cards. If you do not post within that time, I will randomly spend (1 or zero) of your Foil Cards in your behalf.

If the attempt to kill Dr. Lucky succeeds: then that Player WINS & Game Over.

If the attempt to kill Dr. Lucky fails: then the Round is over and we go on to the next Round (posting which Room you are headed into to search. You’ll have 6-8 hours to post a Room or again, one will be assigned to you randomly.

The Game Continues in this manner until someone finally kills Dr. Lucky.

I’ll us PMs to Update you on your Card Hands each Round and to pass notes. You are free to collude with each other via PMs if you think it would help, but please do post a lot in the game itself. Role Playing is encouraged and funny/entertaining stuff can earn you a free Unique game Cards that you can use to screw over the other Players.

Again, don’t sweat the rules too much but feel free to reply below with questions / suggestions / observations ^_^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

The changes you listed should benefit the game greatly.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Simple enough. I don't like the time limit for focus though, one could easily lose focus just by going to sleep.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I'd love to join as Token 4 if I can

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

The time limits are especially fun though hehe... =)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I don't see the problem, just don't go to sleep Drak. xD

I'll take token 10.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Fire: *facepalm*

The rules sound pretty good, but time zones might be a problem.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Time Zones do add to the mix to be sure - but it's still pretty playable for all.

When played without misses however, the game cycles pretty much every 12 hours, so somewhere in there - even folks like Galobtter or XT can play.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I would love to play, but I'm still worried about time zones. I'll only be on from 9-11 A.M EST

But anyway Token 1.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I wonder if there'll be any Lovecraftian time-limits?

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Hmmm.

I'll try.

Token 4

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Is there still room? (hopefully)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

If there is I'll join haha.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

If there is still space I would like to join! Token 8 please!

EDIT: Look at what I found on Kickstarter! 
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cheapassgames/get-lucky-the-kill-doctor-lucky-card-game?ref=discover_pop

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Interesting... Very interesting...

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I would by that game!  ^v^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Ah, we need to raffle for tokens? 

Then I'll try to get in as token 2, rabbits are the closest things on there to squirrels ^w^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

The following folks have expressed an interest in playing - I'll put together the Official Player List Tomorrow...

BullShacked
Daedalus
Drakilian
Claw2k11
ugilick
Fireplay
naruyashan
FeanorOnForge
galobtter
Killa_Robot
Aman
Tanstaafl
Xt1000305
ISentinelPenguinI

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

It it's a raffle, then 10 or 5.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

There are tokens that you can choose to play, but only six players can play, and those will be chosen by berka. Well, three of them anyways. the other three will be randomnly picked.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Yeaa :)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Well, fuck.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

lol Your a bit late.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

OK - this is always a pain in the ass (because I would love to run for more, but the game just breaks with more than 6) - but here is the Final Cut for this game (so far) -

Daedalus
Claw2k11
Fireplay
naruyashan
Aman
Tanstaafl

---

That said, I was actually tempted to run two games of this, because there is actually enough interest for it. But I had the question -

2 Games Simultaneously,
2 Games Back-to-Back, or
East & West Games (where the players are grouped by North America & Europe Time Zones).

Thoughts?

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Whichever one lets me join sooner.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I'll add you to the list  =)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

That timezone grouping seems good for most, but india is still +5:30 or so...If you can manage 2 simultaneous games and Mythic Nippon then go for it.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

do whichever is easier for the GM. GM burn out during games is the worst outcome

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I wonder if we could do a 10 Player game with 2 groups of 5 - where the two groups are both trying to get credit for killing Doctor Lucky?

Like Ninja's vs. Yakuza?

Where Lines of Sight don't count against you from players on your own team, yet you still want to be the one to get the kill and Win the game.

Just a random thought...

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

If you do east & west, could you put me under the american list? i work night i wouldent be online during normal european hours anyway :P

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Berka's idea would be cool, but...

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

... 'Nuff said.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Yeah - there's that haha!

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

And now we know the theme of the game. ^_^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Yep.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

That feel when you didn't make the cut.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Meh, between me, you, Tan, Aman, and Fireplay, two were bound to not be picked. I guess he picked the three out of us five at random, and we were exempt from the second picking because berks specifically said that threes layers would be three non-regulars.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

That feel when you always make the cut 

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

You cheat. You're in cahoots with him and his wife!

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Nah, just blackmailing him. ^_^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Wow, I made it. ^_^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

BZ between being a GM, MN, and This do you really think you can run another game without running your self to the ground. I would add reagular life to the before mentioned list but you probably don't have one. 

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I'm sure it probably wasn't intentionally, but this:

"I would add reagular life to the before mentioned list but you probably don't have one."

Just seems like you're trying to insult him harshly....

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Extremely insulting, really.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

No I wasn't trying to do that. It was suppose to be a joke. 

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Yeah, I got that, I probably need to cut back on life more actually, haha!    ^v^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

OK, so after some though, I think I will do this in two runs - the first with the following Players -

Daedalus
Claw2k11
Fireplay
naruyashan
Aman
Tanstaafl

---

Then a second Game in about two weeks with the following Players (presuming they are still interested at that point in time) -

Drakilian
FeanorOnForge
galobtter
Killa_Robot
Xt1000305
ISentinelPenguinI

(Sorry ugilick, but you played in one already and are busy with college)  ;)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

ahh i didnt see this I want in :(

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I'll see what I can do for the second game then my friend... Might be able to handle 7 (or someone could drop out by then)...

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I'll let Aeon take my spot.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

After all that fuss?!?  XD

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

If I'm not first I might as well be last!

Naw, it's just during that time is when all my exams will be happening. Right now I got final projects and such, but I can still pace myself easily enough.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Sweet, Hopefully I get to be the one to kill Doctor lucky. lol

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Hell naw.

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Aman, I am NEVER gonna team up with you in this game.

Watch how I end up doing that and then lose

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Everyone is teaming up with me. ^_^

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

YAAAAY!!

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I see what you're doing here, saving the best for last like that... ;)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Don't worry about it. I'm not letting myself play any games here until I officially come back and run one myself. 

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

I look forward to that  :)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Setting up Game Threads now...

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Weii :)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Hey, that's the same map used in kill aman's mustache!

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Yes, same tokens too  =)

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

You don't notice the similarity in the names?

Kill Dr. lucky

Kill Aman's Mustache

;P

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Pure coincidence I tells ya!

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Sure... lol

Kill Dr. Lucky II?

10 years ago

Moving all Game Discussion to here -