Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Why can't I finish any story?

9 years ago

As you may have noticed, I've started a large number of projects ( there's more but i disabled Sneak Peek on them).

But I can't finish anything. I just can't.

Even the one i managed to finish is just part 1 out of 4 intended parts of a story that's actually just a chapter from  a larger series .It's annoying to not be able to finish anything.

All goes well with a story until i just write one big long page, hit "save page" and it shows an 500 internal server error and all my work is lost forever and I can't undo it. I write directly in the storygame, because I intend to use some formatting and no text editor allows that directly. And I DON'T remember to save or simply copy before hitting the save & close button because i'm thinking "hmm, what the fuck is my character going to do next?" or "Now  how am I gonna introduce this new plot device?" , NOT "Oh, I must save because CYS is buggy ", and when i lose my work i get demotivated and i almost abandon the project ( i return after a few weeks and re-do most of the work that's been done so far, then I screw up again and so on).

I just need something to keep me from abandoning any of my projects, and also to keep me from starting new ones, as i'm pretty much clogged right now, as CYS is not the only website I'm writing on, and I have way more activity on others (I write alternative history on another one, I write forum game rulesets on another 3, I write PC games walkthroughs, and a personal private blog about all the shit that happens to me, all while being active in three chatrooms and on Omegle, and also I write Warcraft fanfic IRL, plus homework at Uni.)

Right now, my most prominent projects on CYS are:

1) Sonny, my entry for the post-apocalyptic contest. I can say it's 5% done. And I already screwed up twice.

2) GTA Trilogy, the storygame version of the storylines of GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, VCS and LCS.

3) Vane & Steve , a silly comedy series starring me and a guy from another websites as characters in a fantasy world.

4) Legends , a series of 24 intertwined stories taking place in yet another fantasy world

5) SKYRON , a modern sci-fi adventure about a guy who saves the world from an alien invasion but doesn't have a happy end.

6) RObots, a storygame version of the Romanian cartoon RObotzi. It's pretty disturbing and profane, but not as much as South Park (unless you count a certain episode)

7) The Armor Collector , an adventure RPG in a fantasy setting. The only one that has more than one good ending

8) Vigilante , a modern adventure storygame  about a man that fights a personal war on crime in his town, becoming what he fights against in the process.

9) The trip , a secret project of mine (full title not revealed to keep it secret)

10) Silverbow, yet another fantasy setting storygame, but this one will actually have very few dead ends and bad choices since I intend to make it my most complete storygame ever.

11) Heroes of Kronnland, set in the same world as Legends, only six hundred years earlier, but still featuring some of the characters (because of time-travel which happens actually at the end of Legends), is yet another series of , this time, 29 intertwined stories.

9 years ago

Outside of posting on Bugs & Problems, I see two immediate. options for you. First, get used to writing your drafts on a word document and copy pasting onto the site. The font and size tends to make things tricky, but it also guarantees you will have a backup of your work in case anything happens to the site. The other option is a favorite of mine and helpful not only for this site. Do you have Firefox? If so, then I suggest downloading the Lazarus: Recovery Form add-on. It's good insurance for anything you type on a web form.

9 years ago

Just got Lazarus. Hope CYS won't fuck up my plans again......

9 years ago

LAZARUS IS GO

9 years ago

Because finishing a story is hard. You need a good deal of motivation and/or discipline.

9 years ago

So true, Killa, so true.