Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Jonathan's Motivational Thread?

8 years ago

Hey everybody, my name is Jonathan xD.

Many of you don't remember me (if any of you do), but I've been here since 2012. 

In fact, I wrote a story back then, a Super Mario one. However, I realized it was pretty bad and took it down so you guys wouldn't have to put up with another bad story tainting the site.

Anyway, I've been on and off the last few years, and I've decided to get back to writing as I have a passion for it and love it a lot. I have a story in mind and want to get to work on it, but I'm afraid that I'll lose focus and simply leave it to rot like I have. I'll update my progress and keep myself busy while I brainstorm and such here.

I just wanna know how everyone else keeps focused on their goals, even amidst the craziness of life.

Oh, and I'm 16 now, and this is the first time I've said my name here, so thanks for humoring me by reading this.

8 years ago

The only thing that ever works for me is "hurry up and write while you're motivated."  XD

I have only encouragement to offer, no useful advice.  Really, though, if you love writing, just go ahead and do it.  Without worrying if it'll ever be a finished story.  Marathon runners don't run 26 miles every single day for training.  I'm not entirely certain that analogy holds up.

8 years ago
I'd say start small, but I'm struggling with that myself. All my ideas are grand adventures with like a thousand pages each and 200000 words long. Very few of those are actually original and I would never have the time or patience to write them. But I can't come up with any small ideas either. Those I can come up with are rather dull, like 10 pages long dull and for that reason I don't finish those either. I mean, a story about baking cookies can only be so long, even if you can poison them and give them to your boss so you can get off work and then get arested.

8 years ago

I agree, on many levels. 

I don't really have a goal or page limit in mind, I'm just writing to write really.

8 years ago

I'm currently only at 20 pages.

I hope to get to at least 200.

Time to keep writing.

8 years ago

Good for you. That's 10% complete.

8 years ago
How do I keep focused? It depends. I actually write less when I have time. When I have large spaces of time, I can stare at a blank screen for hours and hours. What actually works best for me is when I don't have a lot of time -- then I have a list of things to do and one of those things is to "write something." Since I am a professional-level procrastinator, I can actually use writing as a way to put off doing something useful. But when I have time to write, I end up finding something else to put that off. Hey, I don't know, that's just how my mind works.

The only way I can do a focused writing time is to completely focus it. I've actually setup entire weekends just for writing, and even then I end up with a schedule (from 8-9 write on this fiction story; from 9-10 write this non-fiction article, etc.).

So hey, it's different for everyone, but when you find what works for you, go with it!

8 years ago

That's similar to how I work, except I also have the issue of not knowing how to properly portray what I imagine in my head.

Do you believe creating a storyboard of sorts would help, at least for the main branch in the storygame?

8 years ago
Absolutely.

With CYS stories, I've written them a large number of different ways (often just to try things out). The best stories, in my opinion, are ones that have a good overarching storyline. Now I'm working on how to add quality choices into a story line that actually make a difference in the story -- without having to write tens of thousands of words in diverging stories...

8 years ago

I've written 37 pages, with 51 links total so far. 

I think I'm on the right track, and I'm feeling good about what I'm writing.

8 years ago

Nice feeling, isn't it? Wish I had more time these days, I miss it. Anyway, keep up the good work, you're getting there.

8 years ago
Hooray!

I'm with Kiel -- so little time these days, but I really want to get more writing on two stories I'm working through...

8 years ago

I know what you guys mean.

I don't even have a job yet, but there's a lot of other things occupying my time. What I've just decided to do is pace myself and save an hour or so a day for just writing, and it's working so far. 

8 years ago

Glad you found a plan that works for you, then. My progress tends to be mostly on my weekends. 

8 years ago

Hey, if I were to post a preview (not a demo) of my story right here, would somebody mind reading it, or at least a part of it, and giving me their overall impressions and thoughts? Any feedback would also be appreciated.

8 years ago

So long as it's not published. Just post a link to its page right here. Feel free to tag me, I'd be willing to take a look.

8 years ago

I know well enough not to publish demos or incomplete projects, and thank you!

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/i-don't-need-it~2e~2e~2e

This is still very much a rough draft, but I just want to see if the idea would be appealing.

When you reach the four branches in the story, only a couple extend quite a bit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: To give you some perspective, the main character is unconventional in the sense that he isn't and won't be turning into a good guy, at least not as far as I have planned. He's meant to be a jerk and failure who people can't help but love to hate (or hate to love).

Also, with NPCs (if that's what you call them), I want them all to be special, and I want to have them all get special interactions with the main character depending on what paths you take to give them all their own personality.

8 years ago

8 years ago

Right, thanks for doing that. I didn't even think to do it xD.

Edit: What did you mean by tag you? I just thought it could be free to anyone to see. I'm still an amateur at this site, despite now being here a few years :P.

8 years ago
When you type the at sign and someone's name (like this @awesomeness12 ) it should tag them so that when they log in they get a notice that they were tagged so they know to come see who is typing their name.

8 years ago

Whoa, I actually didn't know that.

Thanks, that's pretty cool.