Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I like the reference to Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I'm glad you noticed.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I liked the book. I just finished The FountainHead too. She is a great author

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

No, she's not. She spends several pages in Atlas Shrugged describing her personal views on morality right after a piece of dialogue, and then resumes the scene. You just don't do that.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

It's called being a shit philosopher who really, really wants you to understand her points.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

YES. See this is why I like you, Steve. You don't just agree with people because everyone else is doing it, you actually have an opinion.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Yes, I am amazing. That's a fact.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Whatever you say, James Patterson.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I haven't read James Patterson's works so I can't say much about his writing quality, but he has pretty crappy views on traditional publishing.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

He's shit. I read a few of his Maximum Ride books, which start as like genetically engineered flying kids fighting a generic evil corporation, and ends with endless awful messages about protecting the environment.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Wait, so he's writing... captain planet fanfiction?

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Fuck, just look him up. He's just not a good writer.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I'll pick up some of his books later this week.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Oh, jesus! That stings, man. Such a witty thing to say. With such a well-thought out reprisal as that, maybe you're right, Objectivism is the way forward.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Well, I happen to like the books with John  Galt. It's appropriate to have an opinion and to enjoy whatever it may be that you prefer.

I do agree with you on James Patterson.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

You shouldn't. Shitty politics and philosophies aside, she's just not a good author, she just splices in endless diatribes and speeches on her personal belief to such a degree that you no longer give a flying shit who John Galt is, you just want him to shut up.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

What are your worthless thoughts on J.K. Rowling? J.R.R Tolken?

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Are you seriously comparing Rand to Rowling and Tolken?

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

No... No? You damned inbred, I was asking you what you thought about those two particular authors.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I like them. They came up with fascinating and interesting worlds.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

How true, how true indeed...

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

What about Susanne Collins?

I've only read the Hunger Games trilogy myself (I've heard the Underland Chronicles are one of her best series though), and I found her ideas and character personalities were pretty generic/bland but her first person writing itself was amazing. I feel like if she could make a more relatable character with her level of writing then I would enjoy her writing much better.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I liked the Hunger Games. I wouldn't hold it up as an example of amazing literature, but it was an interesting read. It doesn't create a massive world I'm eager to explore like the previous two authors, but it entertained me for the time being. Some bits I recall being fairly bland, and the entirety of book two was just boring, but it was fun.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

Fucking what lol

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

I think she's a great author because of her stories, not, because of her philosophical beliefs. While those were interesting to read. Keep in mind, I did read more than just Atlas Shrugged. The Fountainhead was good as well, in fact probably more so. Mostly  because I found the setting much more appealing. But eh. I use the term great because she captivated my interest enough for me to read books that would take normal people weeks, in a few days. That and her characters were quite unique. Or at least unique portrayals of character stereotypes, which made for a more interesting read in all.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

That... makes even less sense. At least if you were ultra-objectivist, that could be the reason why you enjoy it as it would just reassure you that you're right. If you like her based on what she actually writes, that's just absurd.

Atlas Yawned

7 years ago

To you. I suppose I kind of absurd then. Wouldn't be the first time I've been implied crazy.