Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Consumer

6 years ago
It's supposed to be one of the most fucked up books, I started reading it and really I've read worse. Anyone else read it?

The Consumer

6 years ago

Heard of it before. Never got a copy. But I did hear a lotta shit how it's supposed to be the worst of the worst when it comes to horror. Made me wonder how it'd compare to the imagination of like End or somethin'.

The Consumer

6 years ago
You can download it for free online, and it's actually really interesting because it combines the sort of emotional aspects of 'horror' with the usual gore and piss and shit and blood. There's some astute (and depressing) philosophical observations in there too.

The Consumer

6 years ago

Where could I download it from free? It's 400$ at it's cheapest on Amazon.

The Consumer

6 years ago
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eut5g1494fckp6z/__The_Consumer.pdf

Here's the link I used :)

The Consumer

6 years ago

(Assuming this is the M. Gira book, because the link doesn't work for me.)

Honestly, it's not really the most fucked up book I've ever read, but I've been desensitized by reading fucked up books. It's mostly been hyped up as "Dark" by normies who read "Regular" books and don't stray off into bizarro horror all that much. Because so much ot it comes from the shock, the first real "Out there" scene in a surrealist horror/tragedy you read is inevitably going to be the worst one you've ever read, and the rest of the book will be desensitization from there.

As a horror book, I suppose it does its job pretty well. Gira seems to have all the building blocks of a creepy experience, and he knows where to put them. Reading this felt a lot like my first time reading Stephen King: "Wow, I get why people think this is scary, but you have to get really invested and immersed in order for this to work, because as soon as you step back and get on a train of thought that it doesn't want you to be on, it can easily get really goofy and edgy-sounding." Because of this, I wasn't so much creeped out or thrilled by the stories so much as I was intrigued by the metaphors and amused by the edgy imagery.

From sheer content, yeah, I suppose it's among the most fucked up books I've ever read, but there's arguably more, worse shit in books like Flan, and similar Bizarro Candide-Clones. And also just about any book written by Wrath James White It depends on which book by Wrath James White... Hell, the most fucked up book I ever read was the beginning of Lolita, (Never had the chance to finish it, not really convinced that I want to.)  and that was all conceptual. No smiling dogs or gang rape to be found there.

The Consumer

6 years ago

I've seen worse on Sesame Street.

The Consumer

6 years ago

Nope. Nope nope nope nope. Book!
Book book... OOOOOOOOoohh... Yep yep yep yep yep! Worse worse worse worse.