Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

2017, year of watery doom

6 years ago
Hey so I'm busy at work right now but does anyone want to talk about the minor armageddons that have fucked up/are about to fuck up the islands and the coast?

Keep expecting a thread to pop up but it never does do here you go.

Chat about flooding in India or whatever is fine too, I think I saw something about over a thousand deaths earlier this week but it was like an eight second clip on the news so obviously not as important as Trump saying things on Twitter.

6 years ago

The forecasters don’t seem to agree on where Irma is supposed to turn north, about the only thing they’re currently agreeing on is it hitting southern Florida.

Not much else to do except put your trust in the Drowned God I guess.

What is dead may never die.

6 years ago

The really awful thing is that the tip of Florida may be getting it twice.

I'm sure somewhere on the internet there's already a video of whatever Jose's doing out there set to the Mexican Hat Dance.

E: whoops kind of huge but I can't resize it on my phone and also I'm not sure how to do that without breaking the animation anyway..

6 years ago

Last I heard Jose was projected to just dissipate in the Atlantic before it even got to the US, though it was still supposed to hit some islands again.

6 years ago
I thought Jose wasn't going to hit Florida because Trump wouldn't let it into America...

6 years ago

My mini-armageddon is waiting for the DACA police to take me back to Russia.

6 years ago
So uhhh is this a bad time to complain about it raining ash due to forest fires where I live?

6 years ago
We need to dig a giant tunnel to the west coast, y'all can have Houston's 27 trillion gallons of poo water to put out the fires with.

E: seriously though when is that side of the country NOT on fire?

6 years ago
Please do ship some of that water out this way. I'm really getting tired of these daily, constant warnings of, "Do not go outside or you will die because the smoke is so bad."

6 years ago
Puerto Rico will likely be out of power four to six months.

The DR and Haiti meanwhile I'm sure are breathing a sigh of relief right now. (Bad for Miami though, it needed Irma to have more speed bumps...)

Though all the time spent staring at that corner of the map reminded me that one of my ideas for the chaos contest had been Haiti's slave rebellion. Never got farther than taking a few notes however, I tend to shy away from historical stuff because it needs so much research.

All of America aka the Land of Storm and Flame at this point might've been a contender too.

6 years ago
Did Puerto Rico ever have power? I mean besides what they use for tourists, of course.

6 years ago
I mean they're US citizens, there's a decent amount of infrastructure. It's not a bad place to live at all, just high crime rates and their hospitals aren't that great is the main thing. (This is of course according to random conversations with Puerto Ricans living here, with no real explanation of why they're no longer living there...)

Hers a video going around about the electrical situation that would have me peeing myself IRL: https://youtu.be/ceyKynr6gE0

6 years ago
When water is on fire, it really is time to go ahead and get out.

6 years ago
What the FUCK

RIP Florida :(

Oh and someone made this, showing how tiny Andrew (1992) was compared to Irma. Irma meanwhile is about the size of Texas.

6 years ago

During my five years of living in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, I was worried of this thing happening. Relief efforts will also be delayed since the main roads will also be slammed by the hurricane. Lastly, dear friends of mine are staying in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale metropolis despite the fact that they're about to be hit by the bloody monster (while in a tiny, cheep condo). Feel free to pray for the soon-to-be victims and those already effected by this damn weather.

Also, donate some money or time to the Caribbean Islands and Florida relief efforts if you all can. (Donate to Texas as well.)

P.S. Irma broke a world-wide record for a hurricane with the longest sustained winds over 180 mph. I think it was about 72 hrs.

6 years ago
Lot of people in Florida seem to be just going through the motions treating this like a 'normal' Cat 3, I don't know if this is normalcy bias at work or what, but very few things anywhere are built to withstand a Cat 5.

And then you have all the people who want to get out but can't because no gas and clogged roads and airport shutting down. The time to leave always seems to be about two days before its obvious you'll have to, and if course most people aren't going to risk losing their jobs etc at a point when they're still hoping the hurricane might shift one way or another.

Hadn't realized before all this just how uniquely fucking terrible Florida's interstate situation was. Good luck evacuating half the state along one single highway.

Anyway https://www.charitynavigator.org is a good site for finding reliable charities for specific areas. I would not recommend giving to the Red Cross, or at least not for the islands. They still need to search their couch cushions or whatever for that 500 million of Haiti's they managed to lose after the earthquake.

6 years ago
Having lived in Florida for a number of years, including through Andrew (and many others), I get it. Every single damn year the news people go nuts about how it is the end of the world. And every year it isn't. Really, it is the boy who cried wolf story. No one really believes the forecasters any more because they just get more and more hyped up every single year. The storms show up, things break, then you go back to work. I bet most people there, and indeed a few I know who are still there now, are just saying, "Yeah, this one might be worse, but it might not be, either."

As for Interstates, they really are 2.5 out of South Florida because you've got one on the west coast, one big one on the east coast, then you've got the Florida turnpike in the east. You also have Hwy 1 and A1A that are smaller roads, but still run the length of the state. But there's just too many darn people down there, you could have 20-lane roads and they couldn't all get out.

6 years ago

I'm kind of in that mindset right now. Wasn't even alive for Andrew but my parents had to go through that and all of the ones that came after it. They've taken precautions for Irma but are set on staying here and riding it out. I've lived in Florida for all of my life and this is kind of a first for me with how people are reacting according to the news. None of my neighbors are leaving the state or leaving their homes, and people are actually outside having a BBQ in the cul de sac as we speak (according to them its to cook the meat and etc they still had in their fridge in case if the power went out). One couple down the street is more worried about looting that may occur afterwards than the storm itself.

We've stocked up and friends of my parents are coming over later today to stay with us due to their house being right on the water (They have two dogs that are easily the size of a ten-year-old child and speaking from personal experience they are terrified of fireworks, let alone storms. Can't wait to see how that's going to turn out). My roommate went back to stay with her family in Orlando and a previous roommate is keeping in touch with her family (she decided to remain in the dorms), which are all either in or around the Miami area. So for every store/station that we've come across so far the gas is gone, the bread is gone, the sandbags are gone, the water is there for about twenty minutes and then its gone. The twinkies are surprisingly untouched.

6 years ago
I mean there's 'maybe it'll be bad, maybe it won't be' and then there's a Cat 4-5 hurricane literally the size of Texas about to envelop your entire state. The only hopeful scenario at this point is that Cuba takes the brunt of it and manages to slow it down a little. Which obviously would fucking suck for Cuba, but on the other hand, they take this kind of thing seriously, have better infrastructure and a vastly more prepared populace so they could handle the hit far better than Florida can.

6 years ago
This.

This is why so many people really don't take these warnings seriously. For days it was all, "Oh, the entire state of Florida, oh the east coast is going to be destroyed!"

6 years ago
Weren't you also the guy telling me a couple of weeks ago that Harvey would probably amount to nothing because lol the warnings are always wrong?

Just saying, you might want to wait till after the storm to start being smug about how dumb meteorologists are.

6 years ago
I was just trying to explain the general attitude of the people in Florida who hear these warnings again and again and ignore them. I'm not saying anything about the weather-guessers at all. I'm not even saying this isn't going to be a massive storm that does 4 gazillion dollars in damage (which Congress will immediately give to Florida). I just know so many in Florida figure the actual odds of themselves getting hit is low, so they're not going to really do anything until the storm actually hits them. And then they're not going to do anything but drink beer, anyway.

6 years ago

^ pretty much, and especially the beer part.

6 years ago
@Endmaster, how's NC? I heard things were going full Mad Max in Charlotte anyway, guy on another forum twas talking about mobs in the stores and people just straight up ripping things out of his cart, and his wife got fucking robbed at gunpoint for a couple canisters of propane.

6 years ago

So far it's pretty calm here, at least where I'm at anyway.

If that last chart you posted is accurate, the green edges of the hurricane isn't even hitting the area, let alone the colorful chewy center.

6 years ago

Yeah you're probably good as long as you don't get any people from Charlotte evacuating to your town.

6 years ago

That chart makes it look like the country caught HURRICANE AIDS after Florida fucks Irma's stormy diseased hole.

6 years ago
I'm right where all three of those meet so which one should I prepare to be?

6 years ago

Proper fucked.

6 years ago
Wait, End is near Charlotte? How did I not know that? I just moved from there a couple months ago.

6 years ago

In Elizabeth City actually. Just moved here.

6 years ago
Yeah, I know where that is. That's nowhere near Charlotte. :)

6 years ago

Hey, I live in NC as well.

6 years ago
Cool! Time for you and RG to ride out the storm with a sleepover and pillow fights at @Endmaster's new house! ^_^

6 years ago

Not for 

6 years ago
Massive earthquake in Mexico now too.

So, we've got hurricanes, flooding, fire, earthquakes, giant solar flares messing with the radios, and impending nuclear war.

......you know when I said we needed to sacrifice virgins during the eclipse to keep the world from ending I bet people thought I was joking.

6 years ago
Yeah, but apparently you didn't follow through and actually sacrifice any, did you now?

6 years ago
It's hard to find teenage virgins these days and no one would let me near any younger kids with a knife for some reason.

6 years ago

If I volunteer to be thrown in a volcano, does that mean I can leave the summer slam contest incomplete and not be SHAMED?

6 years ago
you can leave the summer slam contest incomplete. you will still get shame.

6 years ago

Alright, never mind then. I don't volunteer to be thrown in a volcano. Maybe after I complete my rushed and last minute contest entry.

6 years ago
It did the eyewall replacement thingy last night and the eye doubled in size.

Jose is now a Cat 4. I sincerely hope Reverencia and any other Florida members managed to get well out of the way.

6 years ago
Immediately after Jose, everyone will need to start worrying about Lee.

6 years ago

Thanks mizal! As long as the power still works (or whenever it come back on afterwards) I'll be sure to update on how its going later.

6 years ago
Stay safe! But if all goes well for Irma, perhaps think about building a raft of alligators to get you out before Jose.

6 years ago
Feel real bad for Florida but this still looks really cool:

Video

Meanwhile, Jeff Piotrowski and an indestructible blue shed sort of became a meme during Harvey, he's a professional storm chaser who rode out landfall in Rockport, sheltering under a car wash, and is basically insane. He'll be in South Beach and this will be a stream you want to see.

Some of his Harvey stuff here, and he also was present for the Joplin tornado.

6 years ago
It's over Cuba now and the eyewall should make contact soon. This might be good for Florida, but obviously sucks real hard for Cuba.

6 years ago
if it travels up the west coast of florida I'm seriously fucked. if it goes straight up florida I'm not quite so fucked. If it goes east of florida then I no longer care about it - just windy rain.

6 years ago
It's going up both coasts, and the center. The hurricane is bigger than the state.

6 years ago
but if the eye goes right up mid state it will weaken and the dry wind from the northwest will blow it over to the east coast a bit. CAT2's and 3's have happened here before and aren't so bad except for the work to repair old fences and signs makes my forearms sore. If the mid goes east coast florida then I won't be so worried because it'll stay east. If it goes more towards west coast florida I'm fucked because I'm right in the armpit near tallahassee and that northwest -> southeast wind will blow it right over me.

I get that the storm itself is larger than the state of florida but the dangerous portion will die down enough that it won't be but half-width of florida by the time it gets to me. I'm banking on the 2/3 chance it goes more eastern than inconviniently west-ish.

6 years ago
The latest projection:

6 years ago
It hit the north side of Cuba as a Cat 5 and is still a Cat 5 only it's going to charge up a bit more and go super saiyan when it hits the hot water right in front of Florida. Maybe everyone could turn on a fan and point it at the ocean or something idk.

The Bahamas may be looking at 20 ft storm surge, which is higher than the elevation of the entire island.

Things are not looking well for Miami and not good at all for Tampa. Coincidentally enough, back at the end of July there were articles going around about just how fucked Tampa would be if a major hurricane hit.

Anyway, I've got family visiting from one of those on fire states so I won't be online much this weekend. Not expecting the situation to change much between now and landfall, but here, since absolutely everyone is posting it everywhere:

6 years ago

Oh crap. One of my good friends lives in Tampa. :<

I hope everyone in Florida and those other states nearby stay safe. ;-;

6 years ago

O.o Two more hurricanes right after Harvey! I hope people in Florida make it out ok.

I feel really lucky to be living near the great lakes. No fire no floods...

6 years ago

Same! I live by the Great Lakes too. Only got snow problems to worry about.

6 years ago

Haha yeah we're really pretty well protected from natural disasters, aren't we? No tornados, no hurricanes, no sea-level rising, no west coast earthquakes, no forests to catch fire ... Well, sometimes we get four seasons in a day, but we're pretty ok

Are you on the US side or the Canadian side?

6 years ago
Uhhh...

https://twitter.com/antwanstaley/status/906543148037484549

This man is going to die and I feel bad for laughing...

6 years ago

There was another guy a day ago that said he was going to ride out the hurricane in his boat since he was an experienced sailor and had been through storms before. And he figured when the water rises he'll be safe due to the boat being able to float on top of it.

Also said he took a homeless guy with him since he said it would be safer for him aboard the boat rather than on land.

6 years ago
The cool thing about boats is that you can sail them out of the way of giant hurricanes instead of sitting there in their path, maybe he should have tried that instead.

6 years ago
Cthulhu can be spotted within the approaching storm at the end of this video:

https://twitter.com/areta/status/906676345932935168

Or perhaps it's just a regular storm dragon.

6 years ago
Hadn't really paid much attention to what was happening in the Bahamas but apparently Irma sucked a lot of the ocean away:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bahamas-water-receded-hurricane-irma_us_59b49f1de4b0dfaafcf84e86

Looks like the gtfo phase just before a tidal wave but apparently just the water getting sucked into the low pressure areas created by the hurricane.

e: My bad, the thing I was reading was a few hours old. Need some time to catch up with how fucked Florida is but we're having a nice lunch now so later.

6 years ago
Tampa Bay: https://twitter.com/jillianmele/status/906894255381250049 Same as the Bahamas. I've never seen this with a hurricane before but apparently it happens, it's the weirdest thing. Hope things don't get too crazy when all the water gets pushed back in...

6 years ago
it's pretty much gone the worst way possible for my survival.

6 years ago

Unless you've died since you made this post, it hasn't gone the absolute worst way for your survival.

6 years ago
Yeah I died

6 years ago

6 years ago

Finally I have something to pay attention to!

https://imgur.com/gallery/SF685

6 years ago
10/10 will fap to irma r34 while my house is blown away

6 years ago

Dude surfing Irma like a suicidal idiot

And a plane flies with passengers between the arm and the main body of the hurricane. 
untilstarsfall:“ dickslapthestate:“ keepitmovinshawty:“ aheartmadeofkyber:“ So Delta flight 302 flew in to San Juan, picked up passengers, and threaded one arm of Irma on the way out. The pilot basically said “hold my beer” and took on a...