Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Need help!

6 years ago

I have a question that need help or answer. The new game I created titled Sword Arena was published on 1/9/2018, and even within a week with a rating above 1 it got unpublished for multiple times and I had to republish it again. I would like to know if it were an administrator who had been taking down my game (which is in fact against the term policy since the game just got published and is even less than a week old) OR maybe my account was hacked and someone deliberately unpublished my game? Thanks a lot for any administrator who would care to answer.

Need help!

6 years ago

It had a low enough rating (and enough ratings) to be taken down within a sufficient amount of time passed. We've been really trying to keep the quality of stories tighter lately so low quality stuff is getting the axe a lot quicker now. (Probably should update the guidelines though)

You might have to just go back to the drawing board with your story and try again.

Need help!

6 years ago

Yeah, well then there should at least be an update on the guideline, and a notification informing me that a rating of 2.53 is considered low rating, yet another game i think was '1980, parody' with a rating of 2.0 was NOT considered a low rating and lasted on the New release section even longer than mine. It really makes me question if there were other forces at work behind this. Thanks for responding though.

Need help!

6 years ago

Been a little busy banning alts and spammers, along with reading the contest stories and general fucktardery going on in the Lounge, and the 1980 story was taken down as well. (And that guy might be getting banned anyway)

Honestly it's gotten to the point where a 2.7 sometimes gets taken down if it's just really that bad and the admins get around to it. There's a bunch of stories on the site.

Anyway, your clone story is probably going to get taken down soon, though I guess we'll give it a couple days first.

Need help!

6 years ago

Well, thank you for the generosity, I guess.

But seriously, how does the rating system work anyway? I mean why does some very extremely short game with just a few clickable links receive high ratings, such as the example I will provide below, while some games that took a long time and effort to make and code receive low ratings? Seriously, it took me a long time to learn and script all the complex links for the game: Sword Arena, and I am definitely not trolling by posting games that even I would not even want to play. But really, were there no cheating behind the ratings for some games? 

Giants!
a Fantasy Adventure by weissgab

Player Rating3.07/8
"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 61 ratings since 09/29/2016
played 347 times (finished 72)

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/giants~21

"How on earth does this have a four?
-- mizal on 9/30/2016 5:48:34 PM"

Need help!

6 years ago

Well I’m looking at your ratings and most of them are 2s. A few 3s and 4s and one person even gave you a 7. These are all from proper members rather than driveby guests whose ratings don’t really matter. The more points a member has, the more weight their rating has.

From what I can tell from the comments people didn’t like it because they felt it was a crappy rip off of Delve, which I guess you just took inspiration from.

As for the Giants game you linked to, it got a lot 3s, which managed to keep it in the clear. A few people were rating it higher for whatever reason. Then it got a lot of lower ratings which is still keeping it in the 3 range.

I dunno, people just liked your story less for whatever reason. I didn’t think you were trolling since I’ve seen you leaving legit reviews on stories.

In any case, I guess we can republish your Sword Arena game and see if it gets higher after a few days. (It's already been republished)

Need help!

6 years ago

Thanks a lot EndMaster for looking into the issue and republishing the game giving it a few days more of chance. yes

Need help!

6 years ago
I was under the impression that 3J set up the site to automatically unpublish low rated games every night through the system itself.

Need help!

6 years ago
No, the 'other forces at work' are tiny gnomes that come in the night and steal bad stories away while all the good children are sound asleep in their beds.

Need help!

6 years ago

That would certainly save time.

Need help!

6 years ago

Dont trust gomes they may be small but they are packing serious intensions.

Need help!

6 years ago

*insert confused.gif here*

Need help!

6 years ago
Hi Zenjar.

Need help!

6 years ago

It's actually not him this time.

This was apparently Zenjar's "final alt"

http://chooseyourstory.com/member/?Username=Rest_In_Peace_Me

Need help!

6 years ago

Lol that reminds me of gravity falls with the pedo gnomes that pretend to be an angsty teen to date a teenage girl who likely has not even gone through puberty at the very least.

Need help!

6 years ago

Okay, thanks for responding, BerkaZerka! I do admit that the game Delve! was a great inspirational force for me trying to make this game... although it being much much more under-developed due to my lack of skill. wink