Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

G’day

6 years ago

Yep I have no idea what to write. Just saw everyone else do this so might as well be a sheep and follow along. Came across this site, thought it was pretty good, decided to make an account. Not going to make any story games as I’m still in High School so I still have a lot to learn about writing/scripting. That’s about it, cheerio love.

G’day

6 years ago
Oh, a couple of us saw your name/profile earlier and were moderately amused.

Welcome to the site. JUST curious, what are your previous experiences with COG?

Anyway, I'd encourage you to write reviews of other people's storygames even if you don't feel up to making one yourself yet. That's the quickest way to get a grasp on what's possible and what does and doesn't work, and you may find yourself thinking you can do better than the average here after all.

Reviews have been kind of at a lull lately either way and I know there's a lot of recent contest entrants in particular who would appreciate some new blood around giving feedback.

G’day

6 years ago

Thanks, I’ll probably write a review during the weekend, when I’m bored out of my mind. Where I would rather instantaneously combust than wait any longer.

My experience with CoG is interesting, as I’ve read about 80% of Hosted and Choice of games but omg the forum is the most “Tolerant” site! A bastion of “Freedom” of sexuality (but ideas and speech? Oh no, what do you think this is? Western culture?). All in all, I’ll explain if asked.

G’day

6 years ago
Oh I think we have the idea. We get COG mocking threads here occasionally when End or whoever notices them being particularly ridiculous, and they're notorious for those 200 year bans.

It's kind of incredible to me a site about writing lacks any mod capable of picking up a dictionary and looking up what "tolerance" even means but, that's a lot of the internet now. COG can be okay for writing discussion, but when those threads go off the rails (and they usually do) you get a brief, terrifying glimpse of a bottomless pit of crazy before the swift nuking from orbit ends it all.

G’day

6 years ago

Honestly, if you tell them you're an autistic, gay furry with tourettes, they'll let anything slide.

G’day

6 years ago

Welcome to the site!

If you intend on not writing story games, then that's fine, but don't let it be because of highschool. There are quite a few kids on this site (including myself) that have managed to make story games. Some of them are even good.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavors here.

G’day

6 years ago

Thanks for your encouragement.

However, as my recent English reports say “Great potential, but lacks execution”. Plus the scripting is another beast to face, probably learn it during the holidays... maybe.

G’day

6 years ago
Hello BDK, welcome to the site. If you don't plan on writing anything just yet that's fine, there's enough for you to read. However, if you do feel like getting some advice to improve, you could just post a short story in the Creative Corner. I'm sure that you'll like our comunity much better than COG. Anyway, don't be an idiot and have fun!

G’day

6 years ago
Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your stay here!

G’day

6 years ago
Yowzers!