Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello, Story, and link help

5 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I've done a lot of reading on here - and this actually inspired me to write my own CYOA story - which is completely written already in Excel.

I was looking for a guide to figure out the linking system - but the guides that I clicked on were all above my experience.  I also tried making the story and got it to partially work but I'm confused by the page and getting the links to work together in a constructive chain.  Its been confusing for me - any help you can offer / guide links / suggestions etc. would be helpful.

The story is a 3 branch exploration with a mini-epilogue and 2 grand epilogues for full winning pathways.

Thanks again for your help - and very excited to be a part of this community of amazing storytellers!

Cheers,

Vince

5 years ago
Welcome to the site.

You do know that Excel is for numbers and calculations, right?

Anyway, do you have more detail about what you're looking to do? You can link any page to any other page without limitation...

5 years ago
What are you specifically having an issue with?

To link one page to another, click the "Add Link" button at the bottom of the page you are working on. THen select the page you want that link to lead to. If you haven't made a page to link it to yet, click "Add Link to New Page" and it'll automatically create one. When it does, it will ask you to name the new page. Either way, the links should appear at the bottom of whatever page you are working on. From there you can change the text in the boxes to whatever you want and it'll still take you to whichever page the link is set for. The reader will see the text you put in the box as their choice.

5 years ago

Thanks for this this fixed it.  When I was first trying I think i was just hitting a lot of the wrong buttons and I ended up with like 6 links to nowhere! Its working now and I got a page link working.  Excited to post my story soon - but I have about an hour+ of copy paste linking to do!

Thanks for this.  I guess since your there is there anything I have to put to indicate a terminus point for any of my branches?

5 years ago
When you select "Add Link," choose "End Game and Leave Comments" instead of one of your own pages.

5 years ago

Ahh wow its funny how things hide in plain sight - i literally just built a full 1/3 of my story and didn't even see that there!  Thanks Leora!

5 years ago
No problem ^_^

5 years ago
I see my first explaination helped but since I spent time doing this I'm gonna post it anyway:

To link two already existing pages together, click on "Add Link."

Select the "Another Page" and highlight the page you wish to use, then click "Okay."

The page you want to lik to should show up under "Destination."

Type the name of your choice in the text box. This is what the reader will see.

In this example, if the player clicks on "Yes", the game will take them to Page 2

If you want to link to a page you haven't yet created, use "Add Link to New Page".

A text box should pop up, asking you what you want to name your new page.

The name of your new page should now show up under "Destination." It will be added to your list of pages in whichever chapter the original page is in.

You can rename links to new pages the same way you did before.

Now in this example, the game will take the player to page 2 if they click on "Yes" or to page 3 if they click on "No."

5 years ago

That might be handy for future more complex games that I might make.  I'm using the basic editor for this one and actually I just finished.  So if you are interested in the "edutainment" category on the site I'd be honored if you wanted to be the story's first reader!!

5 years ago
Did you hit the "publish" button?

5 years ago

No I did not! thanks!

5 years ago

I think it should be live now!

5 years ago
It is. Seems alright so far. The writing's a bit awkward and there are some terms that may need to be defined depending on what age group you're aiming for, but overall it's pretty good. Gimme a few minutes and I'll write a full review for ya. (A few minutes probably means hours since I'm in school right now, fair warning.)

5 years ago

Awesome thank you for that!

5 years ago
No problem, hope you find it helpful ^_^

5 years ago
All of that stuff should apply to the basic editor as well, I didn't go into scripting or variables or anything exclusive to the Advanced Editor. It's basically my other explaination but with pictures.

5 years ago
Anyone who needs this much help is just going to be confused further by the site being different and the wrong color.

5 years ago
It's just the extension, all of the buttons and such should be the same.

5 years ago
welcome and good luck ~