Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

So is everyone still interested in doing this one, because if everyone has contest fatigue (Didn't bother reading that whole thread) then I won't bother setting it up soon.

I know everyone was all gung ho about it earlier this year, but then Bucky suddenly thought it would be a great idea to have the EPIC contest and everything got put on hold.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

I would enter, whether I would succeed or not is a different story. 

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
I think there's a lot of people who are interested still, and it'd be nice to shake up that category a little. Plus 'fanfic of literally anything' is about as open as a theme can get.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
I got a fanfic I'd like to write some day in my lifetime.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Alright, I guess we'll finish off the year with this contest then.

So anyone have preference for time frame? I can get it underway immediately if people want. The deadline at the latest would be the new year of course. Can make it shorter if that's too much time. (I know everyone here has ADD)

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Ambush!

Starting immediately, 2-3 week deadline!  Hold our feet to the fire.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
Nov25 - Dec25 with deadline 1200 EST Dec25. This encourages people who are busy during this holiday season to 1) stay the fuck out or 2) finish/submit early. With a "Whiny fatass" penalty of 50 points to people who use the holidays as an excuse as to why they didn't submit - easily culling those who should know better than to enter in the first place if they're gonna be busy and can't finish because this time of year there's no "my family got in the way" like bitch we know we got families too and it's the holidays so you should've thought about that before you entered and couldn't finish a few days prior to the deadline.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Sounds fine to me and that's what we'll probably go with unless someone else has a really compelling reason not to.

(And no, it being Ford's suggestion still isn't a good enough reason)

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
it's a suggestion by ford of all people

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
I was going to say start Nov 23rd so they can use that weekend, but then I realized anyone who was serious about this would be starting it right now. So, run it Dec 14th - 25th. Allow this unofficial one month head start advantage to people who actually read the forum and fuck everybody else.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Huzzah!

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

I thought you hated fan fiction.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

I hate children, gay shit and romance too, but I still held contests for those.

Besides, it's been mentioned on several occasions that the Fanfic section sucks a lot and could use an injection of new stuff now that we generally got competent writers for the task. Plus everyone was all excited about doing it, of course we'll see just how excited when the contest gets going.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
@Zassuen You are gonna enter this and write some Star Wars for us, right?

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

I'm actually holding back on writing right now. My coauthor Chips whom i relied for info for the clone game disappeared misteriously, possibly murdered on some shady place.

I'm also still learning of the editor stuff and coding. So i thought "Fuck that. Just links and pages will do." based on my experience with end's games (pretty sure there might be others but like araki, i forgot). But i'm not sure, i had ideas for variables (like army numbers/health). The fact i'm instantly bored trying to learn any kind of code also probably plays a part in my noobness. Also laziness.

Overall i want to do things on my own pace/no pressure, but i doubt i'll even finish writing something decent after playing other entries here. So entering a contest now would be like entering a 1000m marathon with my legs broken and a truck coming in my direction.

Which is to say, i shouldn't promise things i don't know if i can deliver. Sorry if i'm disappointing, but i'm doing things on my own speed until i feel confident to tackle the competition stuff. It might take some decades.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Look on the bright side. Said truck could push you further that you'd have crawled.

I might enter, just to see if I'd be instantly rekt by my level in English or enough proofread would make it OK.

I'm just wondering how fanfic can be evaluated. Usually a fanfic is tailored for a public that gets all or most of the references and know enough about the lore.

(aside) : And sometimes it's a pitiful excuse to throw random references ad nauseam and forget all sense of structure.

what, someone made a fortnite one? Marvelous.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
The trick is introducing the things about the characters and setting the readers need to know as a natural part of the story, just like you would for anything else you were writing. Some people are better at that than others.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
That's the bad way to write fanfic. You should treat it as through your audience has never heard of these characters or this universe before. It's fine to throw in some obscure references for the fans, but they have to be sewed in so that they wouldn't be obstructive to the casual reader.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

I guess this would give me motivation to make a story that'll actually stay up this time. 

There's a certain triggering anime to some about vicious rape-thirsty goblins and one emotionally-dead man driven to eradicate them whenever he can that I've been interested in making a cyoa about. 

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Sounds like a plan.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

I think I'll have to put in the description that it won't be told in the perspective of the main character if I start working on it soon. There's no way I can desecrate such a character's image with using him in the many dead-ends I already am brainstorming as we speak. 

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Good luck on your goblin slayer cyoa. Looking forward to it

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Now you've done it! It was bad enough that End replied to me but now you've just made things that much harder for me to backtrack on this. 

Well I guess it shouldn't be too hard to write about the goblins being killed in various methods. 

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
I have high expectations for this. Good luck, have fun.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
No one ever has fun. Thara, enjoy your month of stress and regret.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Well this got sufficient attention. I'll post an official thread for this contest soon since I'm not going to want to bother doing it later.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago

Is there a minimum word limit or other such conditions for entries to this contest.

FanFic Contest thing

5 years ago
Official that is here: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/24694

Unless otherwise stated (like in Bucky's Epic contest) the only requirement is that the stories meet the usual minimum standards for the site.